Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-14-2010, 12:45 AM   #16
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
I've been thinking along similar lines. I have lots of classics, but prefer to read the MR formatted versions than the p-backs. Should I clear up the amazing clutter of books in my house, getting rid, somehow, of the out of copyright books? Or should I keep them in case my ereader kicks the bucket?
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:38 AM   #17
jupstin
Groupie
jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jupstin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
That's a fascinating question. I suppose the e-reader could definitely die...I think I'd have to keep hard copies of my favorites. This actually sort of encourages me to buy the most awesome editions of my favorite books...hmm...eventually I'd get a new e-reader, but in the meantime I'd definitely need to be able to at least read SOMETHING.
jupstin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 11:41 AM   #18
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Kobo Glo HD, nook ST with Glo (backup)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupstin View Post
That's a fascinating question. I suppose the e-reader could definitely die...I think I'd have to keep hard copies of my favorites. This actually sort of encourages me to buy the most awesome editions of my favorite books...hmm...eventually I'd get a new e-reader, but in the meantime I'd definitely need to be able to at least read SOMETHING.
Yeah, I could always fall back to my T/X or in a pinch my laptop, so I'm not concerned about something dying. I haven't pulled a book off my shelves for probably close to a year, so I might as well give them to someone who will get some use out of them.
Rich_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #19
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BookCat View Post
I've been thinking along similar lines. I have lots of classics, but prefer to read the MR formatted versions than the p-backs. Should I clear up the amazing clutter of books in my house, getting rid, somehow, of the out of copyright books? Or should I keep them in case my ereader kicks the bucket?
That's the main reason that every eBook I buy gets the DRM stripped and is backed up to my own personal storage system ... If I'm going to be spending $3 to $4 more per book now I'm certainly not all that psyched at the thought of repurchasing them in the future.

Especially in the current pricing war climate, I don't trust the Retailers or the Publishers to protect my right to have my books for the rest of my reading life. Look at what's going on with Fictionwise right now and all the sudden you can't re-download anything.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #20
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I give my redundant treeware books to a homeless people's hostel, or to a local old people's home. Both are trying to set up libraries for their residents and are very pleased to receive donations.
The local mental hospital also has a library for patients' use, as does the local prison. They lo take books.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-14-2010, 06:22 PM   #21
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich_D View Post
I'll take my chances with the feds.

Unlike many on this board, I have no ethical qualms with pirating an e-book. If I can find an e-book at my library, I'll check it out that way, but if the author isn't one of my favorites, I'll pirate it before I buy it. If the author is one of my favorites, I'll buy it.

I've boxed them all up and will be taking them to the library tomorrow. A couple are signed by the author, so I've set them aside, maybe they can do something special with them.
So in your opinion, something's only wrong if you get caught? I do wish the schools would teach ethics any more, but I'll admit it's hard when so few adults seem to have them.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 08:19 PM   #22
Rich_D
Fanatic
Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rich_D ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvin-c View Post
So in your opinion, something's only wrong if you get caught? I do wish the schools would teach ethics any more, but I'll admit it's hard when so few adults seem to have them.
No, I accept that to some people's perspective, my downloading books from p2p sites is ethically wrong. I just disagree with that perspective.

In my opinion downloading a book is no different than checking it out from a library. If I like the author's work, I'll end up purchasing more of his work, including the title that I pirated. If I don't like it, I probably won't even finish the book and the title will shortly be deleted from my library.

I also don't believe it is ethically wrong to download a copy of a book that I already own in another format. I paid the price for the content, how I choose to view it is up to me.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:10 PM   #23
owlrigh
Bibliomanist
owlrigh began at the beginning.

Device: [past:PRS-700, PRS-505, PRS-T2] Now: Kobo Glo HD, Samsung G7 Edge
It depends upon what you have in your personal library, I think. If you have mostly classics and romances you wouldn't have much in the way of resale value, not unless you have an old Judy Cuevas or something people are dying to get their hands on again.

If you know your particular likes in reading then you might be able to resell them again on the likes of Amazon Marketplace or ebay or something like that -- but then you'll have to deal with postage issues when people do buy them. On the other hand, this does mean that you'll be able to pad out your future ebook buying kitty.

e.g. at one point, many years ago, I used to go hit the library sales and pick up all the really old SF stuff which, yes, I did make some money on when I sold it years later. A box of books for $1! People do want old things
owlrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 10:01 PM   #24
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I sorted out the books I could give a sh*t less about and put them in a box with the intention to take them to the library. I have a few hardbacks that are quite new, and I'm sure they would end up on the shelves. Alas, to actually get to the library...it's taking me longer than I thought, lol. I held on to the books that I absolutely love-couldn't see myself parting with them even tho I purchased the ebook version of the exact same book. Being sentimental takes up space, lol.
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 01:56 AM   #25
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
Just go over them on a book by book basis.

Keep the ones you may read again, have sentimental attachments to etc., and donate all the rest.

Also factor in if you'll be moving in the future. Few things suck more to move than heavy boxes of books.
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #26
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I've been gradually clearing my shelves ever since I got my first ebook reader.

The first to go were the books I didn't much care about (they should have gone before, but the decision to switch to ebooks was an incentive to start the sorting).

Next I get rid of all my paper books for which I can find an electronic copy. All my paper books are donated to charity shops. I would never just throw them away, even books I didn't much like.

Some paper books I still want to keep, or I'm not sure, usually because of some obscure sentimental reason. Usually they are eventually given away too, with the next "shipment". My main problem is with languages: I have books in greek translation and can find electronic copies of them in english translation. Assuming none of those is the original language of the book, which one to keep? Haven't been able to answer this one yet. But getting back my space will probably win.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:13 AM   #27
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Well, when you're a book collector with some expensive books, then you don't put them in a box and dump them in the basement.

My F/F First American hardcover editions of J.M.G. LeClezio aren't going to be donated! [Hahahahahah!]

Go check the prices on his first 5 books in this condition. (I've got three of them.)

Of course, I could sell them and then use the $1,200-$2,000 to perhaps buy one rose for my wife, and then buy yet another ebook Reader for me [that's insane!]....or perhaps buy that McIntosh 252 amplifier that I've been lusting after (with a bit more cash, I might add) to mate up with my McIntosh 6300 Integrated Amp that I just bought. And then, just sit back and listen to the lush sounds of Miles Davis and Bill Evans.

Mmmmmmm......

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-16-2010 at 07:30 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:17 AM   #28
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
What you can't give away, donate or sell, shred. I have zero physical books now. All gone. It's great having my entire library on a tiny card no bigger than a thumbnail.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 06:22 AM   #29
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moejoe View Post
What you can't give away, donate or sell, shred. I have zero physical books now. All gone. It's great having my entire library on a tiny card no bigger than a thumbnail.
So did you scan all your books that you couldn't find in electronic format? Because I'm sure not all your books had ebook versions. A lot of mine haven't, legal or otherwise.

And I have to ask: zero physical books, and apparently no reading device. You haven't stopped reading altogether, have you? (It's okay if you are only writing now!)
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 08:43 AM   #30
Rich_D
Fanatic

I have one set of books that aren't available as ebooks. I'm debating on going through the trouble to scan them myself. Right now I'm just holding out hope that the publisher will release them in ebooks.