Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-13-2008, 02:31 PM   #1
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Help - Calibre stripping out apostrophes and quotes

Hi,

I have an eReader book which I've converted to HTML using ereader2html.py. The HTML has single quotes (apostrophes) and double quotes present in the source and they all show okay when I view the HTML in IE.

However, when I use Calibre to convert the HTML to LRF to put onto my Sony the resulting file has all the qoutes (single and double) stripped out and replaced by spaces.

Am I missing some setting/switch which is obviously called "don't remove quotes" or something like that? Or do I have an unusual problem.

Is it Calibre or should I have done something different during the conversion from eReader?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:24 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Take a look at the HTML. See what is being used for the quotes and anisotropies. Then if need be replace them with something that works. I really cannot give much more of a hint/help without seeing the HTML code in question.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2008, 04:14 PM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
your html source is probably using non ascii characters for quotes. The default fonts n the reader dont have glyphs for those characters, so they're rendered as blanks
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
GingerTez
Stroppy Ginger Scotsman
GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.GingerTez has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I tried using Wordpad to globally replace all instances of ' with the XML equivalent, ' but that didn't do it.

I asumed that ereader2html would not create non-ascii characters - I'll look at other ways of replacing the characters.

Thanks for your replies.

Cheers,
Terry.
GingerTez is offline   Reply With Quote