Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 04-04-2014, 05:15 PM   #1
derels
derels began at the beginning.

Device: ipad
Calibre-mavericks-ipad

So I read the sticky and calibre seems to be sending books to my ipad with calibre on mavericks. I connect ipad and there is the send to device button and it is working fine. I thought this was not the case? Anyway, it will send epub format but won't send pdf books. Anyone else having this issue? How can i get it to send pdf?
derels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Which version of OS X are you running? Click the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then About this Mac. What is the version number shown there?

What plugin are you using to connect to iBooks?

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 12:45 PM   #3
derels

i am not connecting to ibooks. just using calibre. calibre is sending the ebooks directly to ipad. it will not send the pdfs to ipad anymore though now?i thought calibre did not work with mavericks?
Old 04-05-2014, 02:29 PM   #4
GRiker
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How are you sending the books to your iPad? Calibre doesn't automatically recognize iDevices, so you must have a plugin installed.

The two possible plugins are the iOS reader applications plugin, or the deprecated Apple iDevice interface plugin.

In calibre, open Preferences | Advanced | Plugins, then enable Show only user installed plugins. Click the triangle to the left of Device Interface plugins. Which plugin is listed?

G
Old 04-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #5
derels

ios reader appliaction 1.3.6
ereader PDB 2 PML 0.0.6
Ignoble Epub DeDRM 0.1.6
Inept Epub drm 0.1.7
Inept pdf DeDRM 0.1.4
K4PC,K4Mac kindle Mobi and topaz DeDRM 0.3.8
Old 04-05-2014, 03:25 PM   #6
derels

when i plug in Ipad, calibre sees it and it has the blue send to device button at the top. i highlight the book i want and just hit send to device and it is in the ibooks app on ipad. The problem is now, it wont send a pdf to the ipad without converting to epub? when before it would send pdfs? Any clue why?
Old 04-06-2014, 05:44 AM   #7
GRiker

@derels,

With respect to the iOSRA plugin not working with Mavericks, the current release (1.3.6, which you're using) prevents the user from selecting iBooks as the preferred reader application in the configuration dialog. However, since you had selected iBooks when you initially configured an older version of the plugin, and you haven't reopened the configuration dialog since then, iBooks is still selected as the preferred reader application. That's why you're able to send books to iBooks, even though instructions state that you can't do that. Since that seems to be working for you, I won't change that behavior, but as stated elsewhere, the plugin is no longer supported under OS X Mavericks.

With respect to the plugin not being able to send PDFs to iBooks, this is related to the changes that Apple made to iTune's automation interface in version 11. I will take another look at this problem to see if there's a workaround, but for now if you want to add PDFs to iBooks, you'll have to add them directly to iTunes.

G
Old 06-23-2014, 12:54 AM   #8
HiSo HoBo
HiSo HoBo began at the beginning.

Device: Marvin App (iPad)
I'm having the same problem with sending my pdf collection, which is in Calibre, to my iPad Marvin reader app. I can send epubs, but in order to send pdfs, I am required to convert them to epub first. Does anyone know of a solution, to use Calibre and send pdfs to Marvin readers app? Thanks for any advice/help.
HiSo HoBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 01:01 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe the problem is that Marvin is not a PDF reader. You will need to install GoodReader, which is also supported by iOSRA, and open PDFs.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:00 AM   #10
HiSo HoBo

Thank you for the advice and recommendation of GoodReader. I was hoping to use one app, but it's not looking like it's possible. I'm now looking into better options for pdf to epub conversion over what Calibre does as their conversion is unusable. Thanks again.
Old 06-23-2014, 02:30 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiSo HoBo View Post
Thank you for the advice and recommendation of GoodReader. I was hoping to use one app, but it's not looking like it's possible. I'm now looking into better options for pdf to epub conversion over what Calibre does as their conversion is unusable. Thanks again.
Most PDF > ePub conversions will be rubbish. Even Adobe Acrobat stinks when it comes to converting PDF to HTML. Why are you putting yourself through the hassle when Goodreader (a very good app) will handle the PDF as is?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 02:36 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Most PDF > ePub conversions will be rubbish. Even Adobe Acrobat stinks when it comes to converting PDF to HTML. Why are you putting yourself through the hassle when Goodreader (a very good app) will handle the PDF as is?
... ...
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 03:49 AM   #13
HiSo HoBo

Your suggestion makes sense and it is actually what I am currently working on as I type this message. I've just downloaded Google Drive, which I have 30GB of storage. I can then automatically sync my Google Drive with GoodReader (from what I understand).

My motivation for the previous message was to find an all in one epub/pdf/mobi reader app for my iPad which I can sync with my Macbook/Calibre. It looks like as of now, until GoodReader supports epub (sync with Google Drive) or Marvin supports pdf (sync wit Calibre) we are left with using two different reader apps. I'm sure that this will change with time as PDF and epubs will continue to see increase in demand. Thank you for your responses by the way.

Last edited by HiSo HoBo; 06-23-2014 at 04:04 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:20 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@HiSo HoBo - there are several ebook reader apps for IOS that claim to do EPUB and PDF

See ==>> Comparison of iOS e-book reader software - Supported_File_Formats

And before you commit to Google Drive you might like to know this ==>> WARNING - Google Drive Incompatible with Calibre!

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-23-2014 at 04:23 AM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:14 AM   #15
HiSo HoBo

@BetterRed...thank you for the link and recommendations. I should have mentioned that I am setting up Google Drive for GoodReader only.

Here is my current setup until Marvin works with PDF.

Note: I have 345 books. Epub: 82, Mobi: 5, Pdf: 264 Total: 6GB

1. Load existing books into Calibre (each format has its own respective library,
divided by author subdirectories).
2. Update book cover, metadata, and tags with Calibre for all book formats.
3. The parent "Calibre-Library" folder is inside of my Google Drive, if for any
reason just to back them up.
4. Sync pdf folder with GoodReader
5. Sync Epub folder with Marvin, by using Calibre and hardwire sync with iPad
(Can't find a way to do this wirelessly like GoodReader & Google Drive, except
with Dropbox but that cost $10/mo).
6. When I want to read a book, magazine, paper...open either GoodReader or
Marvin app within my iPad.
7. Still trying to figure out MOBI.

Eventually, I would like to discover one app that has features and user friendly like Marvin while also offering wireless syncing to a folder on my Mac, which is also my library for Calibre (for Metadata editing purposes).