Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 01:27 AM   #1
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Shelves multiplied after recent update

I have one shelf in my library, apart from short list. After the update it became 5 identical shelves. So in the list on my Touch I have short list followed by 5 shelves named 'unread'. They all contain the same 22 books. Delete the 4 unnecessary ones is he obvious thought. I deleted the first one and the whole lot emptied to zero books. Then I had 5 empty shelves, annoying! I found all my books, added them and have 5 identical shelves again.
Anyone know what this is about?
Please bring back the progress bar, % is not nearly as helpful. If its not broken please don't fix it!
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Aylalake
Aylalake began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPhone 4S
I have exactly the same problem, only I've got 10 duplicates of every single shelf (11 different shelves therefore 13 pages of duplicated shelves).

I can't delete them either - all that happens is the books are deleted from the shelves.

The online Kobo Help person told me to do a factory reset. Umm, no thanks. I don't want to lose all my awards (I have them all), or the sideloaded books (altho I do have those on my PC - it's just the hassle of reloading them.)

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Aylalake; 11-29-2012 at 03:27 PM.
Aylalake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 04:48 PM   #3
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Among other things, a shelf has two fields, Name and InternalName
These must both contain the same value, which would be the name of the shelf, so if your shelf was called "My Shelf" then Name and InternalName should both be "My Shelf"

If they do not both contain the same value then you can see exactly the issue you describe. I saw this when we were adding Shelf Sync to the iOS application. Initially we did not fill out the InternalName field and when I was syncing my Touch I discovered that I'd get duplicates of the shelf, and, I *think* the number would increase with every sync.
Once cleaned things up (more on that in a moment), and used InternalName and Name and set them to the same value, I did not see any duplicated shelves on my Touch.

How can you fix it? I think a factory reset would do it, as that would reset the database, which is where the shelf info is being stored. Now, awards and shelf info should be synced to the server (the duplication of things should not), so in theory post-reset, if you sign into your account and sync, it should pull down the info stored on the server.

The other option would be to edit the database, and depending on your bravery, you might not want to do this. I have done it and it does work, but from an "official" standpoint I'd suggest not doing it (just don't want to suggest it, have something bad happen and then have people complain that someone from Kobo told them to do it)

I seem to recall something in Calibre that manages shelves, not sure if it allows you to edit names / delete things, if so, that might work.

If you had to edit the database, there is a shelf / shelves table (I don't have my Touch or a database to hand to check) which you could look at and edit.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Thank you Sharkus for confirming some of the things I found when updating the driver. And I agree, unless the person is comfortable with database tools, they shouldn't do the delete.

What you can try in calibre is:

- Change the shelf column to a different column. If you have a text column with very few values it it, that would be good. You could add a custom column temporarily and use that.

- Plug the device in and let calibre do a sync. This should remove all the shelves that were setup before. If you have books on the device that are not in the calibre library, shelves they are on will not be affected.

- Disconnect the device

- Delete any other shelves still on the device that you don't want.

- Do a WiFi sync. Or stop calibre, reconnect and use the desktop app to do the sync.

- Change your calibre driver settings back. On the next connect, the shelves you want should be created.

If that doesn't work, we'll have to do some debugging. Also, if you are on the 2.2.x firmware, make sure you are on the lastest calibre. If you don't have it, wait for today's release. There is a nice addition to the driver for 2.2.x
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 03:41 AM   #5
Orn8one
Groupie
Orn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipseOrn8one can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Touch, Sony 650 and Cool-er
Apologies for my tardy response to your helpful responses, I've been away.
Addressing the points raised:
I added one shelf named "To Read".
The multiple shelves appeared when I created it. They are all identical in name and content. When I add or delete a book they all behave identically, they don't multiply any further with any shelf content changes.
My use of my KT is very basic. I buy all my books on my ipad from Kobo website, on Safari not the Kobo app. They go on to the KT by update or sync.
I don't use Calibre, have no side loaded books, keep away from the computer and wouldn't want to play with the database! I don't want to factory reset, the glitch isn't that serious, just strange.
Hope that helps when you look at how it's happening.
Orn8one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 AM   #6
Aylalake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orn8one View Post
My use of my KT is very basic. I buy all my books on my ipad from Kobo website, on Safari not the Kobo app. They go on to the KT by update or sync.
I don't use Calibre, have no side loaded books, keep away from the computer and wouldn't want to play with the database! I don't want to factory reset, the glitch isn't that serious, just strange.
Hope that helps when you look at how it's happening.
My sentiments exactly! (Except for half a dozen side loaded books and the fact that I buy my books via my PC or iPhone 4S, not iPad, from the Kobo website).
Old 11-30-2012, 04:42 AM   #7
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Orn8one and Aylalake: What firmware version are you using?
Old 11-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #8
Aylalake

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Orn8one and Aylalake: What firmware version are you using?
I am using 2.1.5 on my Kobo Touch and 5.8.1 on my iPhone. I do NOT have the duplicate shelf problem on my iPhone, btw.

Thank you for your help so far.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:18 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalake View Post
I am using 2.1.5 on my Kobo Touch and 5.8.1 on my iPhone. I do NOT have the duplicate shelf problem on my iPhone, btw.
I wonder if the two devices have gotten out of sync. Or they are using different versions of the database.

Something you could try is to delete the repeating shelves on the Touch, do a sync and then do a sync on the iPhone app. If the shelves are still there, delete it there and, and sync followed by a sync on the Touch.

Another possibility is to delete the shelves on both devices and then sync. And then do another delete and sync if the shelves come back to one of the devices.

I think the update to 2.2.0 or later will fix this. But, I can't recommend that until Kobo officially release it to everyone.
Old 12-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #10
Aylalake

The problem is that you CAN'T delete the shelves from the Touch! If I could, I would have done so. All that happens is that the books are deleted from the shelf (as well as the books on all the duplicated shelves) but the shelf itself cannot be deleted.

I am guessing that syncing the Touch and the iPhone is done via Cloud or similar, and not each other, if that makes sense? So I am unable to see that the two devices would be out of sync as they are not connected in any way.

I do so appreciate your taking the time to keep trying to sort this problem.
Old 12-07-2012, 04:46 PM   #11
mconh
Connoisseur
mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!mconh goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, AuraHD, AuraH20
[QUOTE=Aylalake;2333234]The problem is that you CAN'T delete the shelves from the Touch! If I could, I would have done so. All that happens is that the books are deleted from the shelf (as well as the books on all the duplicated shelves) but the shelf itself cannot be deleted.

In Calibre double click the Kobo Touch plugin driver and select "delete empty shelves". Then sync the reader.
mconh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:40 PM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aylalake View Post
The problem is that you CAN'T delete the shelves from the Touch! If I could, I would have done so. All that happens is that the books are deleted from the shelf (as well as the books on all the duplicated shelves) but the shelf itself cannot be deleted.

I am guessing that syncing the Touch and the iPhone is done via Cloud or similar, and not each other, if that makes sense? So I am unable to see that the two devices would be out of sync as they are not connected in any way.
That is correct. The sync is to a Kobo server.

If you have two Kobo devices, or a device and the Kobo app, here is what should happen:

- Create shelf on device 1, put books on shelf.
- Sync with Kobo server. Server has details of shelf and books on shelf.
- Sync device 2 with server. Device 2 will now have details of shelf and books on it.

The same should happen if you delete a shelf on one of the devices.

What I suspect has happened for you is that the shelves have gotten out of sync between the Touch, the app and the server. The idea was to delete the repeating shelf in one place, do a sync to tell the server and then sync to the other place to remove it there. Because of the problems, it wouldn't surprise me if you need to go back and fourth a couple of times.

I did have a thought on how this might have happened. Might you have created a shelf with the same name on both the Touch and the app and then did a sync on both?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:34 PM   #13
Silencio
Silencio began at the beginning.

Device: none
This is happening on my glo right now.
Silencio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 12:16 PM   #14
Aylalake

Quote:
Originally Posted by mconh View Post

In Calibre double click the Kobo Touch plugin driver and select "delete empty shelves". Then sync the reader.
As posted earlier, I don't have Calibre and I wouldn't know how to use it, so unfortunately, that is not an option, but thank you for your suggestion. It will be useful for others with the same problem who DO use Calibre.
Old 12-15-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
Aylalake

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I did have a thought on how this might have happened. Might you have created a shelf with the same name on both the Touch and the app and then did a sync on both?

Do you know, I think I did, because the shelves I created on my Kobo Touch did not show up on my iPhone. Hmmm, food for thought.