Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-20-2012, 10:25 PM   #46
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
So bottom line, will there be a 300dpi gray scale screen or not?

Btw, I don't understand why current eink devices would do antialias when the pixel structure isn't visible.

Last edited by Barty; 01-20-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:07 AM   #47
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
bottom line is that Eink can build 300 dpi display film now. they are working with Epson to create the display controller chip to drive the 300 dpi displays. whether any oem will pony up to drop that display into a product when ready is completely up in the air.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 12:14 AM   #48
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
So bottom line, will there be a 300dpi gray scale screen or not?

Btw, I don't understand why current eink devices would do antialias when the pixel structure isn't visible.
There already is a 300 ppi gray scale screen - check out the "Mona Lisa Reader" in the video in beginning of this thread. If an actual eReader goes past prototype and into mass production remains to be seen.

As for the pixel structure, I can see that with my bare eyes on my 6" Pearl Odyssey screen at 167 ppi. On my 200 ppi PRS-300 I almost cannot. That is of course at a very close distance unsuitable for reading. If you have uniform black or white areas on the screen you won't be able to see gaps in between individual pixels with your bare eye. I am not even sure you would see distinguishable gaps if you use some magnifyer that allows you to see individual ink particles. One pixel of eInk consists of many particles.

Now the color version (Triton) is a different story altogether, as that example of Jetbook that is shown only has about 100 ppi for color pixels. That should be noticeable by a lot more people.

Edit: plus what Dulin's Books said. Your computer monitor would be useless w/o you graphics card.

Last edited by DuckieTigger; 01-21-2012 at 12:17 AM.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 12:48 PM   #49
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
if you use some magnifyer that allows you to see individual ink particles. One pixel of eInk consists of many particles.
there are dozens of micro-capsules in one pixel

here you go. not mine. they are of a pearl display

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pamoros...th/5407867568/

he has another set from a Cybook Opus

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pamoros...7625760991154/

edit- a couple more interesting links

http://www.bit-101.com/blog/?p=2722
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...-a-microscope/
http://www.freethought-forum.com/for...ad.php?t=23692

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 01-22-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #50
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
there are dozens of micro-capsules in one pixel

here you go. not mine. they are of a pearl display

he has another set from a Cybook Opus

edit- a couple more interesting links
Thank you for doing this extensive research. And I mean that - with all the (useless) information out there it is getting harder to find good information. I have seen similar - not as good quality though - pictures of close up before. Since I did not want to take the time to actually find one and quote it, I merely said "many" particles which was sufficient for the point I was trying to make. If I would have said wrongly "thousands" I probably would have gotten a flame if it were actually e.g. only a few hundred. Interesting on these pictures is - they show that the eink particles are not uniform in size. I did not know that, actually believed they would be.

Also interesting Kindle does appear to be using AA algorithms when displaying text. That might or might not explain why other devices are less or more fuzzy than Kindles even with the exact same screen. (Hint: different AA algorithms have different results)
Old 01-22-2012, 02:57 PM   #51
Dulin's Books
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
(Hint: different AA algorithms have different results)
yes , exactly. its why answering this question https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=166215 is not as simple as it might seem. they are the same display material but the actual software that is used to drive the display and the various pieces of software that are used to actually display the font, the font itself etc etc.

even the same device on two different firmwares can be more or less fuzzy
Old 01-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #52
Dulin's Books
Wizard

about that 1600 x 1200 display. you can get it now in China

http://www.hanvon.com/en/products/eb...ucts-E920.html

reviews

http://translate.google.com/translat....shtml&act=url
http://translate.google.com/translat....shtml&act=url
Old 01-23-2012, 11:53 AM   #53
Koda
Connoisseur
Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.Koda knows the chase is better than the catch.

Device: 13" E-ink reader
Technology: E Ink® “Electronic Paper”
Screen Size: Approx. 9.68” measured diagonally
Resolution:1600×1200, 200dpi
Koda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 02:50 PM   #54
DuckieTigger
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koda View Post
Technology: E Ink® “Electronic Paper”
Screen Size: Approx. 9.68” measured diagonally
Resolution:1600×1200, 200dpi
Yeah, that is the exact same screen that is underneath the Jetbook color, before the color filter got added, reducing the usable resolution to: 800x600, 100 dpi because each color pixel consists of 4 b/w pixel.

Tags
ces, demo, e ink, eink, screen