Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 02:09 PM   #16
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
I followed all the instructions to install optware as an image file. When i run "ipkg -t/opt/tmp update" I get the error

Code:
Downloading http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08qlarmel/cross/unstable/Packages
wget: server returned error: HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
An error ocurred, return value: 1.
Collected errors:
ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget    -q -P /opt/tmp/ipkg-WUErCO http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optware/cs08qlarmel/cross/unstable/Packages'
Any one have any ideas?

I had optware installed previously but used the instructions in this thread to remove it.

Should I just start over?
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
danik
danik began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 3G
You have an error in the address:
cs08qlarmel instead of cs08q1armel
danik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 03:29 PM   #18
wiccan2
Connoisseur
wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'wiccan2 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle 3 - 3g, Samsung Galaxy Note
Quote:
Originally Posted by danik View Post
You have an error in the address:
cs08qlarmel instead of cs08q1armel
I knew it would be something stupid that I got wrong. Guess I'll put my reading glasses on next time.
wiccan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 05:16 AM   #19
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
It looks like ipkg does not work on the kindle 4 because it uses parameters not supported by the busybox wget.

As long as the kindle busybox is the parent of the current process, busybox handles all commands built into busybox (including wget) as intrinsics. It does not use PATH for intrinsics. In fact, I even tried "mv /usr/bin/wget /usr/bin/wget-old" and a "find / | grep wget" only finds "/usr/bin/wget-old". Even though no wget file or symlinks exists, the wget command still executes the busybox version.

Before that, I tried bind mounts, and even replacing the root symlink with a physical wget file, before renaming the root symlink from wget to wget-old. That is how I finally discovered the busybox intrinsic problem.

This also means that all those symlinks to busybox in the main partition are obsolete because they are not used for busybox intrinsic commands. the bin directories would be a lot cleaner with all those busybox symlinks deleted.

The ONLY way to execute a non-intrinsic wget is with a fully-qualified path to the replacement wget. Unfortunately ipkg uses the intrinsic version.

Because the Kindle 4 is missing bash from its busybox, it would be possible to run an non-intrinsic bash shell, and then put a non-intrinsic wget earlier in the search path.

This is a huge FAIL for bind mounts UNLESS used from a non-intrinsic shell.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 06:49 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I discovered that on the K4NT:

mount -o loop,noatime /mnt/us/debian.ext3 /mnt/us/ext3
mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /mnt/mmc
/mnt/mmc/bin/bash
/mnt/us/ext3/opt/bin/ipkg

actually works if I add

mntroot rw
ln -s /mnt/us/ext3/opt/lib/libipkg.so.0.0.0 libipkg.so.0
mntroot ro

At least on the K4NT, the diag partition busybox not only has bash, but also has an ipkg-compatible wget in its busybox, unlike the less useful main partition busybox.

The busybox in the diag partition is v1.17.1, but the busybox in the main partition is version v1.7.2 (a lot older and with a lot less built-in commands than the diag version).

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 09:29 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
sjheiss
Connoisseur
sjheiss began at the beginning.

Device: K3G, KF2
It appears that the site with the ipkg is dead, where can I get it now?

Last edited by sjheiss; 01-02-2012 at 04:43 PM.
sjheiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 06:18 PM   #22
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjheiss View Post
It appears that the site with the ipkg is dead, where can I get it now?
I found it with google. I will google it again...

I followed the instructions here:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/HomePage

Here is a direct link to the optware ipkg package from the NSLU2 repository:
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...163-10_arm.ipk

You must extract the data.tar.gz file from the .ipk file, then extract optware ipgk from data.tar.gz. Follow the instructions at the first link above.

P.S. Those .ipk files contain an interesting file name, cosidering recent touch debricking news.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 06:24 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #23
sjheiss
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
I found it with google. I will google it again...

I followed the instructions here:
http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/HomePage

Here is a direct link to the optware ipkg package from the NSLU2 repository:
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...163-10_arm.ipk

You must extract the data.tar.gz file from the .ipk file, then extract optware ipgk from data.tar.gz. Follow the instructions at the first link above.

P.S. Those .ipk files contain an interesting file name, cosidering recent touch debricking news.
Thanks. I thought the .ipk was specially compiled for the Kindle, but I guess not.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:35 PM   #24
geekmaster

Quote:
Thanks. I thought the .ipk was specially compiled for the Kindle, but I guess not.
The NSLU2 and the Kindle both use ARM cpu cores. NSLU2 console apps that use ncurses (or other text interface) do not need any changes to run from SSH or onscreen console. If you install apt-get, you can install programs from the full debian ARM repository. You can even install the BSD games collection that includes text-mode oldies such as adventure (colossal cave), trek, snake, tetris, and other classic text-mode favorites. Debian mplayer can play streaming videos on the Kindle eInk display by using aalib in an onscreen console (much better with tiny fonts). After you install gcc, you then can install even more linux goodies from source code with the "wget && tar xzvf && ./configure && make && make install" method.

Here is a list of all the current NSLU2 Optware packages:
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...table/Packages

Here is a (compressed) list of armel (little-endian ARM) packages from the US mirror of only one of many Debian repositories:
http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dist...el/Packages.gz

More info on compiling linux source code for any linux system:
http://www.control-escape.com/linux/...stall-tar.html

Of course, all this stuff needs to be installed in a loop-mounted ext2 or ext3 file system.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 07:25 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:33 PM   #25
sjheiss
Connoisseur

No, I'm pretty sure the version in the first post is different than the one from NSLU2's site. He says "The existing versions of OptWare expect a version of wget that supports the "--passive-ftp" option, and the Kindle's BusyBox simply doesn't. Took enough work to fix this that I figured it was worth posting."

And after I installed it and tried running "ipkg update" I get an error involving --passive-ftp:

"ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /opt/ipkg-NIKtxs http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...table/Packages'

I guess I could install the packages manually, but I'm not entirely sure how to do that, but I could probably figure it out.

Does anyone know the difference between nano and emacs22 from that repository? Does emacs22 work on the Kindle? I would guess it does, but I'm hardly even an amateur at Unix anymore.

Last edited by sjheiss; 01-02-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 PM   #26
geekmaster

Quote:
No, I'm pretty sure the version in the first post is different than the one from NSLU2's site. He says "The existing versions of OptWare expect a version of wget that supports the "--passive-ftp" option, and the Kindle's BusyBox simply doesn't. Took enough work to fix this that I figured it was worth posting."

And after I installed it and tried running "ipkg update" I get an error involving --passive-ftp:

"ipkg_download: ERROR: Command failed with return value 1: `wget --passive-ftp -q -P /opt/ipkg-NIKtxs http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...table/Packages'
When following the instructions in the first post on a Kindle 4 (Non Touch), I got the passive-ftp error using the busybox wget in the k4nt main partition.

The busybox built-in commands are intrinsics. The search path is not followed. To execute an external command you must include a path (like ./wget to run an optware wget). Unfortunately, ipgk does not supply this so the wget built into the parent busybox is used instead.

After much experimentation, I mounted the diags partition in /mnt/mmc and ran bash from its busybox, to get rid of the wget problem. That busybox has more commands, and its wget does not get the passive-ftp error when called by ipkg.

Do not make changes in the mounted diags partition. It would probably be a much better idea to download and run a bash shell that does not contain wget, and put the optware wget folder at the beginning of the search path.

Here is the optware bash shell:
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...2.49-1_arm.ipk

Extract data.tar.gz from the .ipk file, then extract data.tar.gz into a bash folder.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:09 PM   #27
sjheiss
Connoisseur

I see. I'll try mounting mmc and see if it can get it to work there. Is there any way to update the busybox of the root partition, or would that mean having to recompile the whole OS? I'm sure that if it was that easy then it would've been done by now.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:19 PM   #28
geekmaster

Quote:
I see. I'll try mounting mmc and see if it can get it to work there. Is there any way to update the busybox of the root partition, or would that mean having to recompile the whole OS? I'm sure that if it was that easy then it would've been done by now.
Not a good idea to replace the main partition busybox. Better to add another one on the USB Drive and execute that with a full path. The new shell (busybox or standalone optware bash) will have its own instrinsics (if any), but at least will use the search path. That way ipkg will call a wget that supports (or at least ignores) the passive-ftp flag.

Changes to files on the main partition will change their md5sum and can prevent future Kindle firmware updates.

Better to not touch the diags partition, and not change the main partition, and use only replacement files that are stored somewhere on the USB Drive (such as in a loop-mounted ext3 file that is on the USB Drive). The key to making this work was discovering that a new bash (or whatever) shell was needed to break out the the main partition busybox intrinsic limitations.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-02-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:30 PM   #29
geekmaster

Quote:
Does anyone know the difference between nano and emacs22 from that repository? Does emacs22 work on the Kindle? I would guess it does, but I'm hardly even an amateur at Unix anymore.
Nano is a nice simple little "What you see is what you get" editor. The optware one can even be copied to the USB drive and used from there.

When I first got my touch, the first thing I did after jailbreak and SSH was to add /mnt/us/bin, and copy nano from an optware loop mount on my kindle 3 to the touch /mnt/us/bin folder. When added to the search PATH with an export, it works great.

Emacs on the other hand is an editor with its own "Cult of emacs", with devote followers that use emacs as their primary computer interface, and never leave it, doing everything from inside emacs. Religious wars have been fought between lovers and haters of emacs.

And of course the built-in vi editor has its devotees too. But never pronounce it "Vie" around them -- you MUST call it "Vee-Eye". Forget this at your peril!

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-17-2016 at 02:06 AM.
Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 PM   #30
sjheiss
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Do not make changes in the mounted diags partition. It would probably be a much better idea to download and run a bash shell that does not contain wget, and put the optware wget folder at the beginning of the search path.

Here is the optware bash shell:
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/op...2.49-1_arm.ipk

Extract data.tar.gz from the .ipk file, then extract data.tar.gz into a bash folder.
What do you mean by "wget" folder and "bash" folder?

I hate to be a noob, but I really don't know enough of Unix OSes to know what you're talking about with such vague instructions. :P

Don't I need ncurses installed for nano to work, even if I put it on the USB drive? Or is it pre-installed with OptWare?

Also, why do I need a loop mount, can't I just use SSH to put it onto my Kindle and install it?

If at all possible, could you write an amateur friendly tutorial for us? That'd be awesome.

Last edited by sjheiss; 01-02-2012 at 11:51 PM.