Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2008, 01:47 PM   #241
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
As for pasting, just choose 'select all' then 'copy' from the edit menu of the source document, open BD, then choose 'paste' from its edit menu.

The main annoyance of this method is that all the emdashes will appear as hyphens. There is a workaround: in the source document, use 'find and replace' to replace emdashes with #. Paste into BD. Then use 'find and replace to substitute emdashes for #.
Brilliant! Thanks, Patricia. Had recently had problems converting material from an on-line site that uses white lettering on a dark background. Loaded into BD the normal way, BD would run its normal routine, as you could follow at the bottom of the screen, and then produce one blank page. If you used the reformat command, it would give you the whole document, but sometimes the paragraphing would be dodgy, and it wouldn't reproduce italics. Tried one this morning and it worked perfectly using the "keep original formatting" command. The work-around worked perfectly, too.

And thanks to Harry, too, for letting us know that there was this option.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 03:55 PM   #242
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Strether, a better way to do it is to load the file into Word, clean it up and then save as RTF and load into Book Designer. if you past in, you lose the benefit of Book Cleaner and somethings are messed up that way because of the lack pre-processing that Book Cleaner does when you load into Book Designer. If you are not using Book Cleaner, have a look here..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 04:07 PM   #243
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah, I agree, Jon, but this particular specimen doesn't clean up in Word, or at least not anyway that I've tried. Something about the formatting of it, I'd guess, but I don't have the computer smarts to be able to change it. At least pasting it into BD provides me with a work-around.

And I do have Book Cleaner installed; a very useful program, indeed.

Jim
Old 03-09-2008, 04:51 PM   #244
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Strether, a better way to do it is to load the file into Word, clean it up and then save as RTF and load into Book Designer. if you past in, you lose the benefit of Book Cleaner and somethings are messed up that way because of the lack pre-processing that Book Cleaner does when you load into Book Designer. If you are not using Book Cleaner, have a look here..

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11649
How do you cleant a file in Word?
I heard about stingo macro, but how to do use apply it? I have never used macros before.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 05:59 PM   #245
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
How do you cleant a file in Word?
I heard about stingo macro, but how to do use apply it? I have never used macros before.
Stingo's Macro is here. There are instructions in the thread to install it in MS Word. You then assign a key sequence to invoke it. (I use Cntl H-Z since all of my user defined keys for shortcuts start with ^H.)

I load the text into Word and then fix any items that I know from experience will be a problem. After that I execute the macro and let it run its course.

There are areas that I will have to patch afterwards such as books that mix verse with prose. For these I keep an original copy of the file and will cut and paste the verse from the original into the macro corrected copy.

I hope this helps.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 09:13 PM   #246
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
If you don't fancy setting up a key sequence then just go to 'tools', select 'macros' then select 'run macro'.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 10:43 PM   #247
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
If you don't fancy setting up a key sequence then just go to 'tools', select 'macros' then select 'run macro'.
I guess I spent too many years in DOS and the old Word for DOS program (I always liked it better than Word Perfect.) Italic is Cntl-I and bold is Cntl-B. I always do as much as I can from the keyboard and resort to the mouse on an as needed basis. Old habits die hard.
Old 03-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #248
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strether View Post
Yeah, I agree, Jon, but this particular specimen doesn't clean up in Word, or at least not anyway that I've tried. Something about the formatting of it, I'd guess, but I don't have the computer smarts to be able to change it. At least pasting it into BD provides me with a work-around.

And I do have Book Cleaner installed; a very useful program, indeed.

Jim
If the file has em dashes replace them with --. That way you can search & replace them back in. Otherwise you lose them and have to do it manually.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 PM   #249
Strether
Guru

This has (space) hyphen (space) in lieu of emdashes, but you can do a find and replace with # in Word and then paste it into BD and use BD's find and replace to give you emdashes. Works very well.

That was actually the least of my problem with this. Getting BD to accept it with proper paragraphing while keeping italics is a real bonus.

Jim
Old 03-10-2008, 01:02 AM   #250
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

The problem (recently discovered) is that Book Designer has problems with paragraphs when the paragraphs are not all one line. One line being no return until the end of the paragraph. Even if there is a line space to seperate BD can still can get it wrong. The best way to make sure your paragraphs are oK is to use Word rto make sure there are no broken lines in the paragraphs. Then save as RTF, load into BD and you are a go.

Example...

This is a paragraph
test. I hope it passes
the test.

That would possible load as two paragraphs. If it had only a return after test. then it would load fine.
Old 03-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #251
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gudy View Post
It certainly is. If you do switch from "keep original format" to "reformat completely", be aware that the two can (and often do) give very different results. I've had input files were one of those options produced a Book Designer file that would have taken hours to clean up, while the other allowed me to have the conversion done in ten to fifteen minutes.
I'm afraid that setting language to "german" and format options to "keep original format" still deletes all "œ" in the text. I guess I should work with "re-format completely" settings...
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:20 PM   #252
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ret View Post
I'm afraid that setting language to "german" and format options to "keep original format" still deletes all "œ" in the text. I guess I should work with "re-format completely" settings...
How do you have oe in your file? I do not have a problem with oe as long as it is just plain text. Before you load your file, if you can, replace all œ with oe and you'll be fine. No need to have œ instead of oe. Of course, you can try Book Cleaner to fix œ into oe on load.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:48 PM   #253
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
I think that one can have 'œ 'in old spellings (e.g. œconomy, fœtid, fœtus etc)). I usually search for the œ and ae characters and change them to two separate letters 'oe' and 'ae'. And I do this in the source document before I drop it into BD.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:58 PM   #254
RWood
Technogeezer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricia View Post
I think that one can have 'œ 'in old spellings (e.g. œconomy, fœtid, fœtus etc)). I usually search for the œ and ae characters and change them to two separate letters 'oe' and 'ae'. And I do this in the source document before I drop it into BD.
I wish I was more consistent in my practices. I have done it both ways. I try to always make AE one character if it was that way in the original text. At least I think I have been consistent within each book. (hope, keep fingers crossed)
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #255
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
How do you have oe in your file? I do not have a problem with oe as long as it is just plain text. Before you load your file, if you can, replace all œ with oe and you'll be fine. No need to have œ instead of oe. Of course, you can try Book Cleaner to fix œ into oe on load.
I have an RTF document.
I'm reading in french and that's why I have so many o those characters. I'd like to keep them if possible.
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookdesigner