Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-01-2008, 10:04 PM   #1
chapin4life
chapin4life began at the beginning.

Device: I dont have one lol
Question Help me get a ebook reader under $150

I'm thinking of getting a ebook reader but I dont have alot cash to spend on one, max would be $150 I dont care if I can get one used
I mostly have pdf format ebooks I have heard good things about ebookswise 1150
one other thing it must be easy on the eyes since my eyes get tried fast

can someone please suggest one, or should I get a ebookwise?

I'm even thinking of getting a PDA but I dont think there are easy on the eyes

thanks for the help
chapin4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:40 PM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The ebookswise is generally a good choice, but I'm not sure about the best way to get PDFs on the device.

Rather than a PDA, I suggest the Nokia 770 which makes a great ebook reader with a better screen than any PDA you are likely to get for ~$100. It has a color LCD screen, and you would have to pay attention to screen brightness to reduce eye strain.

Note that if by "PDF ebooks" you mean Secure Adobe PDF ebooks (readable only by Adobe Reader 7 or Adobe Digital Editions), then these are not typically readable on any inexpensive device. Standard PDFs are readable using pan and zoom on the 770, or if they are primarily text they can be converted to a reflowable format. I would use Windows MobiPocket Reader to convert such PDFs to MOBI for the 770.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 11:49 PM   #3
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
First of all, welcome to MobileRead, chapin4life!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapin4life View Post
one other thing it must be easy on the eyes since my eyes get tried fast
Unfortunately, I don't think you're going to be able to fill this requirement. Most devices, pretty much all under $150 are going to be LCD displays, which are mostly not easy on the eyes, by most folks estimations. Since you say that your eyes tire quickly, I'm guessing this will hold true for you.

Given this, and your price range, I'd suggest you look for something with a reflective (i.e. not backlit) LCD display.

I don't offhand recall any devices that both have reflective LCD displays, and handle PDF files well. In fact, most reading devices don't handle PDF files well ... I don't know about the Ebookwise and PDFs.

I'd strongly suggest that you try to see one in person before you invest in it, to make sure the display doesn't bother your eyes. You may be able to find someone here who is in your area and has one, who would be willing to let you buy them coffee for a few minutes' look at their toy. You can try posting an inquiry to that effect in the ebookwise forum.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 12:13 AM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapin4life View Post
can someone please suggest one, or should I get a ebookwise?

I'm even thinking of getting a PDA but I dont think there are easy on the eyes
You could probably find a Sony PRS-500 used for $150. But, PDF format books are going to be a hard read. You really would need to convert them to text/html and then to LRF for the best experience.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 01:09 PM   #5
seeker
seeker began at the beginning.

Device: Seeking
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Rather than a PDA, I suggest the Nokia 770 which makes a great ebook reader with a better screen than any PDA you are likely to get for ~$100.
In my search for a suitable ebook reader (and I have more-or-less the same criteria as you) I had initially settled on going for a Nokia 770. However, I chanced to stumble across some forums where people complained of a hardware design defect in (at least) one batch of 770s. The defect would cause the LCD screen to fry on system startup (and Nokia support did not seem very supportive). It is not certain exactly which batch of 770s have this problem and how to indentify that batch! Google "nokia 770 wsod" for more.

So I had to drop 770 and start searching again .

IOW, (IMHO) 770 comes with a risk that you must be aware of before you decide to go for it!

All the best and do let us (at least me ) know what you finally settled for?
seeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2008, 11:16 AM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Ebookwise or a second hand Sony 500 can be in reach of the initial budget.
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote