Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-28-2011, 02:56 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
What are some big reading projects?

I have been thinking of reading the Harvard Classics, but then I found the Everyman's Library at Manybooks and it has a selection that appeals to me slightly more. And over 100 titles available!

There were some other 'big projects' available, some of which interested me:

The Chronicles of Canada (32 vols)
Lives of Eminent Painters (10 vols)
Great Men and Famous Women (7 vols)
English Men of Letters (36 vols)
Makers of History (31 vols; not all available)
Library of the World's Best Literature (16 vols; not all available)
Newberry Winners (12 available)

So, what other many-volume big reading series type things can you think of? I am especially interested in the kind that implies you will get a 'well-rounded education' if you read the whole lot.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 03:14 AM   #2
ardeegee
Maratus speciosus butt
ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ardeegee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-350
The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night by Sir Richard Burton comes to mind. The original publication was 10 volumes. It has been published in various numbers of volumes in various editions since then. I have one of the 3 volume sets like this one on ebay-- but I haven't came even remotely close to reading all of it.
ardeegee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
mrsquash
Connoisseur
mrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enoughmrsquash will become famous soon enough

Device: K4-NT, Sony T1
The Great Books of the Western World series by Encyclopædia Britannica and the University of Chicago was big in its day. I bought a set of them about 40 years ago and got quite a bit of use out of them. I'd imagine that everything in them is available for free online these days, but the accessory volumes, The Great Conversation and The Syntopicon, were quite good. Excellent quality and binding, still available on ebay last time I looked (several years ago).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_B..._Western_World
mrsquash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 AM   #4
toomanybooks
Addict
toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toomanybooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, Ipod Touch, KIndle Fire
The entire 1911 Encyclopedia Britannica is my project for next year. I don't think that its really doable but I'll try.
toomanybooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Ficbot - First some information, then a question:

1. Gutenberg does appear to have all 31 volumes of the "Makers of History" series you mention above.

2. I searched on Manybooks.net, and was unable to find any information regarding the "Everyman's Library" you mention. Do you have a link?

I always enjoy reading your posts here and on Teleread, as it's very obvious you are a prolific reader.

Thanks.
SteveK
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2011, 11:37 PM   #6
Gronk
Zealot
Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gronk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, PW2, Sony PRS 950, 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveK View Post
Ficbot - First some information, then a question:

2. I searched on Manybooks.net, and was unable to find any information regarding the "Everyman's Library" you mention. Do you have a link?

Thanks.
SteveK
Try this Link
Gronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #7
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
How about The Story of Civilization by Will and Ariel Durant? It's the 11-volume history of the West starting with Asian origins and ending with the Napoleon. It was highly popular at one point; people used to acquire them as the sign-on bonus to book clubs by mail. You'd see them proudly displayed on bookshelves in people's homes, presumably as a sign of their erudition or at aspirations along those lines, since I suspect they mostly went unread.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 08:57 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ardeegee
The Book of the Thousand Nights and a Night by Sir Richard Burton comes to mind. The original publication was 10 volumes. It has been published in various numbers of volumes in various editions since then. I have one of the 3 volume sets like this one on ebay-- but I haven't came even remotely close to reading all of it.
I prefer the Payne translation, myself but yeah... I love these stories!
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote