Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Announcements

Notices

Old 01-06-2004, 03:33 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
End of Turcic.com?

Three months ago we removed all forum restrictions since some users here were offended by it and threatened to leave us.

Ironically, since the removal, user interaction/contribution has dropped dramatically.

Maybe I was wrong that the PDA scene needed our "niche" forum to discuss anything related to e-books and mobile websites.

I could invest more time and efforts in turcic.com. I was planning to integrate a mobile website portal to the forum, among other things. But given the experiences from the past months (I know we had holidays, but this goes back to since October last year), I feel that this time is better spent elsewhere.

I haven't come to a conclusion yet. Though I am reluctant to saying so, it might be the best (for my own good) to close this site and start something totally new, not related to PDA anymore. It is the least thing I want, but the current situation is unacceptable. I have been always open to criticism and new ideas - unfortunately neither came from you.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 08:04 AM   #2
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry if my post sounds a little bit harsh, but I am kinda frustrated here.
Advert
Old 01-06-2004, 11:05 AM   #3
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
I am sorry to hear you speak this way. Of course, I cannot enter your mind and know what you expect. I do know, however, that while I contribute to this site, I do so on an irregular basis, as I do with all group sites: a lot of what is discussed here is not directly related to me and I cannot give responses. OTOH, what is of interest I have found nowhere else and, in any case, that you provide ready-made iSilo hits makes you unique for me.

The computer world is one where things are happening all the time and changes and updates proliferate. If you must move on, please know that I for one will miss you. radleyp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
Three months ago we removed all forum restrictions since some users here were offended by it and threatened to leave us.

Ironically, since the removal, user interaction/contribution has dropped dramatically.

Maybe I was wrong that the PDA scene needed our "niche" forum to discuss anything related to e-books and mobile websites.

I could invest more time and efforts in turcic.com. I was planning to integrate a mobile website portal to the forum, among other things. But given the experiences from the past months (I know we had holidays, but this goes back to since October last year), I feel that this time is better spent elsewhere.

I haven't come to a conclusion yet. Though I am reluctant to saying so, it might be the best (for my own good) to close this site and start something totally new, not related to PDA anymore. It is the least thing I want, but the current situation is unacceptable. I have been always open to criticism and new ideas - unfortunately neither came from you.
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2004, 03:47 PM   #4
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Zire 71
Alexander,

Is the cost a reason to leave or is it the users who are making you feel as if it's not worth it? I find this site very interesting and it is not the only site I visit to get my wealth of information each day. I visit these sites daily.

turcic.com
behindbox.com
palminfocenter.com
newyorktimes.com
freewarepalm.com
palmgear.com

I try to make time for all of them, I feel as if I contribute to these sites as much as I can. You cannot expect people to be as dedicated to this site as you. I do really like this site and If I didn't I wouldn't visit it as often as I do.
Zire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:22 AM   #5
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp
I am sorry to hear you speak this way. Of course, I cannot enter your mind and know what you expect.
Heh I am glad noone can enter my mind Well, I am not sure what to expect either, but I found the lack of user activitiy not what I expected after removing the restrictions. Maybe I am expecting too much, I admit, this is one of my weaknesses...

Quote:
I do know, however, that while I contribute to this site, I do so on an irregular basis, as I do with all group sites: a lot of what is discussed here is not directly related to me and I cannot give responses. OTOH, what is of interest I have found nowhere else and, in any case, that you provide ready-made iSilo hits makes you unique for me.
Thanks Well, my concern was not directed to people who do contribute, including you, but to those 95% who don't.

Quote:
The computer world is one where things are happening all the time and changes and updates proliferate. If you must move on, please know that I for one will miss you.
As I mentioned before, I am not really happy with the idea of closing this site. But I think I need to change a few things. Since forum restriction is *not* the way as history proved, I am thinking of adding more diverse content instead. This could mean a more drastic move from "mobile PDA geekdom" to a more generic "computer geekdom" site. I have a lot of computer-related hobbies (software, web, programming, video editing, security, ...), and PDA only covers a small bit of it.
Advert
Old 01-07-2004, 05:28 AM   #6
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorprismman
Alexander,

Is the cost a reason to leave or is it the users who are making you feel as if it's not worth it? I find this site very interesting and it is not the only site I visit to get my wealth of information each day. I visit these sites daily.

turcic.com
behindbox.com
palminfocenter.com
newyorktimes.com
freewarepalm.com
palmgear.com
Of course it makes me very happy to see myself among sites like nytimes

Quote:
I try to make time for all of them, I feel as if I contribute to these sites as much as I can. You cannot expect people to be as dedicated to this site as you. I do really like this site and If I didn't I wouldn't visit it as often as I do.
You see that persons who actually care and answer this thread are again those who generally contribute. If I had only 10% of my users just as dedicated as you, I'd be more than satisfied

As I already replied to radleyp, I think I will move turcic.com to a more general computer-related area (with the risk of trying to cover too much again). I will give it some clear thoughts first.
Old 01-07-2004, 08:34 AM   #7
speeder8
speeder8 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Clie SJ33
Ive only just discovered this site and become a member so Id be sorry to see it go.

Ive recently purchased handstory for my palm and as such found this site invaluable in trying to workout how to get the best from it, as the online manual for handstory is pretty useless.
speeder8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:03 AM   #8
Saud
Connoisseur
Saud began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Opus, Iphone 3G, Blackberry 9000
this site is very unique and there is no alternative to what it offers..

I for one would be sad to see it go

But I think we should be more positive and try to be more active and maybe make suggestions and offer ideas and keep this community going and growing
Saud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:21 PM   #9
elveejay
elveejay is on a distinguished road

Device: Visor Prism; Tungsten TE
If I knew more about PDA stuff, I really would post more. I do consider this a valuable site. But most of the time I have questions about how to get something to work on my Prism. This has been a very helpful place to come for answers. I have no idea how much it costs to run one of these. I would understand if the time and $$$ would prohibit continuing, considering the lack of response. I do appreciate your efforts though. Good luck, whatever you do.
elveejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 02:59 PM   #10
Zire
Fanatic
Zire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshesZire can read faster than his screen refreshes

Quote:
Originally Posted by elveejay
If I knew more about PDA stuff, I really would post more. I do consider this a valuable site. But most of the time I have questions about how to get something to work on my Prism. This has been a very helpful place to come for answers. I have no idea how much it costs to run one of these. I would understand if the time and $$$ would prohibit continuing, considering the lack of response. I do appreciate your efforts though. Good luck, whatever you do.
What exactly are you trying to get to work on your prism? They don't call me visorprismman for nothing.
Old 01-07-2004, 05:01 PM   #11
elveejay
elveejay is on a distinguished road

Device: Visor Prism; Tungsten TE
Fatal error

Quote:
Originally Posted by visorprismman
What exactly are you trying to get to work on your prism? They don't call me visorprismman for nothing.
I tried to install an application and got the fatal error/alert. If I had come here I would have solved the problem sooner. Thanks to frequent backups and some tech support I recovered my data. So the Prism is working fine now. I may need help when I get my new T|E. It will be my first time changing to a new device. When I get it I will look for you here. Thanks.
elveejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 05:04 PM   #12
sofry
sofry began at the beginning.

Device: T3
My guess is that there are still relatively few people who are working on finding ways to write content for handhelds. My focus is writing medical clinical practice guidelines for dissemination within a group of physicians and/or nurses. Currently I think that HTML/iSilo is a good way to go. I'm still on the learning curve with that concept, and will be giving a talk on this subject in Toronto in the spring. All roads lead to this website when I go looking for deeper understanding of the subject. Does that provide some motivation?
sofry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 08:26 AM   #13
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

It definitely does! I am not going to remove turcic.com, but I will try to move the focus to something more like a general computer news portal. In other words, nothing old will be removed, only new things will be added. I believe that content is the most important aspect of a web site, so let's try to increase user activity by creating new content.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:15 PM   #14
Zire
Fanatic

Thumbs up Getting a new device too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elveejay
I tried to install an application and got the fatal error/alert. If I had come here I would have solved the problem sooner. Thanks to frequent backups and some tech support I recovered my data. So the Prism is working fine now. I may need help when I get my new T|E. It will be my first time changing to a new device. When I get it I will look for you here. Thanks.
My Zire 71 arrived in the mail too so you may look for me as zire71man or palmzire71man if I'm unable to get the first one. Good luck with your TT.
Old 01-08-2004, 01:21 PM   #15
Zire
Fanatic

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander
It definitely does! I am not going to remove turcic.com, but I will try to move the focus to something more like a general computer news portal. In other words, nothing old will be removed, only new things will be added. I believe that content is the most important aspect of a web site, so let's try to increase user activity by creating new content.
Hey Alexander,

Not removing turcic.com is the way to go thansk for your hard work. I am receiving a new zire 71 today and probably will change my name to either zire71man or palmzire71man so that will be my newuser name. Is there a way to change the amount of posts from one username to the other? I don't want to be considered a new user. You can disable my visorprismman account if you like.
I think that a user reviews should be implemented into the site because I do not trust what beta testers or people who get free programs to evaluate have to say about a certain program. It's the real users that I want unbiased people. I can do short reviews or first impressions now that I'm switching to a more "standard" device.