Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 06-05-2011, 11:10 AM   #106
lisa.m
Enthusiast
lisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it islisa.m knows what time it is

Device: Kindle
WooHoo!! Thank you very much kiwidude. That is PERFECT! A real time saver.

A gift is coming your way!
lisa.m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 11:46 AM   #107
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
@lisa - thank you very much, glad to hear it is what you wanted.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-05-2011, 12:30 PM   #108
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
Changes in this release:
  • Use a progress dialog while generating covers
Kiwidude,

Have edited the file, seemingly successfully, and have updated to v.1.37. Don't see any progress dialog (Using WinXPSP3), but I'm still impressed with the whole plug in system and EVERYTHING you've done. There's a little donation sitting in your PayPal account.

Thanks GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:36 PM   #109
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hey Gary, thanks so much for the donation, much appreciated.

As for the progress dialog - unless you generate for a bunch of covers at once you will barely see it flash up. Are you saying you still don't see it if you say generate for 5 books at once?
Old 06-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #110
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Kiwidude,

Actually, I did try multiples of tens. What DID work was rebooting the program. Some of the plugin updates require restarting calibre. Might be a good idea to put that in the security warning as a general warning. i.e. (In addition, some of these plugins will not work unless calibre is restarted. If you do not see the results you wish, try restarting calibre as the first method of repair.)

Just an idea. GM
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 04:31 PM   #111
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Gary - every plugin when you install it does already give you that warning. You must have just clicked through it...

Glad you are up and running anyways.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:49 AM   #112
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
@Gary - every plugin when you install it does already give you that warning. You must have just clicked through it...

Glad you are up and running anyways.
And so it does. Here I thought I was being ever so clever. Time to put this section of the thread to rest. Thanks for your patience. GM
Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM   #113
Firedancer885
Occassional Beta Tester
Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.Firedancer885 can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 (wifi only)
Kiwi! I need a little help. I installed the updater plugin and then intalled your cover generator. I clicked on one of the options and Calibre simply quit. Since then I can't even open the plugin, when I click on the icon in the menu bar, Calibre quits on me. I use Ubuntu 11.04.
Firedancer885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 04:22 PM   #114
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Firedancer - try running Calibre in debug mode (calibre-debug -g) and post any error output. If that doesn't show anything try deleting the Generate Cover.json file (will be the same effect as a first time installation).
Old 07-03-2011, 04:41 AM   #115
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

v1.3.8 Released

Changes in this release:
  • Replace the deprecated composite_formatter with SafeFormat()

This is just an internal change to make sure it retains compatibility with future versions of Calibre. The minimum Calibre version has been bumped to 0.8.8
Old 07-10-2011, 10:34 AM   #116
Vaesse
Zealot
Vaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolateVaesse is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
So far I'm using this plugin to create covers for the TV Scripts I've found (downloaded and/or created). I was not happy at all with the original "Calibre Default" covers they had, so I went searching for DVD art and added Episode number (Episode {series_index}) and Title. (As I set the author for these to "TV Script" I didn't need that to show.)

Here's two examples of what I have created, just in case anyone's curious. Overall, I'm thrilled with how these turned out, and I'm VERY particular about my book covers.

(Removed comment about line spacing addressed below, then solved by changing location of various items.)

SETTINGS NOTE: If your series_index is NOT the episode number, you'll need to modify the cover to make it accurate. The custom font for Firefly is Voluta Script. I'm still looking for a custom font for Roswell that's not all caps.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cover2.jpg
Views:	1294
Size:	165.4 KB
ID:	74118   Click image for larger version

Name:	cover.jpg
Views:	1293
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	86181  
Attached Files
File Type: zip Roswell Cover.zip (184.6 KB, 726 views)
File Type: zip Firefly Cover.zip (168.0 KB, 688 views)

Last edited by Vaesse; 05-07-2012 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Added exported settings
Vaesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:43 AM   #117
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

@Vaesse - thanks for your screenshots, would not have guessed this plugin helped with those!

As for the line spacing - "Text padding" is the setting you need to use that is the spacing between lines of text, and of course you can adjust the font/size of the series and custom information. I am not sure what else you would need? Certainly the plugin is at the whim of your choice of fonts, which seem to have a take up a variable amount of vertical space. Perhaps something to do with the unit of measure being "points" rather than "pixels" or just a quirk of the Magick libraries, I don't know which. Certainly nothing I can control.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #118
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I'm finding this plugin quite functional — good work.

I've been polishing a number of SF pulp short stories found on PG and using the plugin with blank magazine covers yields rather nice looking covers quickly.

I've attached a sample along with 3 of my blanks, if anyone else wants to use them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IF-Vital Ingrediient cover.jpg
Views:	487
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	74816   Click image for larger version

Name:	IF-blank.jpg
Views:	504
Size:	29.3 KB
ID:	74817   Click image for larger version

Name:	Amazing-blank.jpg
Views:	520
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	74818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Galaxy-blank.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	11.0 KB
ID:	74819  
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:07 PM   #119
kiwidude
calibre/Sigil Developer

Good stuff dwig, glad you found it useful and thanks for sharing your blanks for others to use.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #120
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie

Transferring Settings from Computer to Computer

Kiwidude,

Recently, I switched my calibre computer from an XP machine to a new state of the art Win7 box. Calibre took a little re-setting up. One of the things that did have to be set up was Generate Cover. Making sure Calibre wasn't running, I was able to do it with the following steps:
  1. copy the generate cover folder and the Generate Cover.json file to the new machine.
  2. set up a generate cover test on the new machine.
  3. make a back up copy of the json file on the new machine in case things go awry
  4. copy the json file from the old machine over top the newly created one and copy the folder contents to the new location
  5. edit the Generate Cover.json file for two things. Change all the file locations to the new file location. I copied the file path and went to edit|replace. Then I went to my file browser and copied the new path (The XP machine's path differs because of the introduction of new User system in WIn7). Copy the new path to the replace dialog's field AND then go through and add an extra backslash for every backslash in the path. In my case it made 29 changes.
  6. The second thing to edit for is for font names that are missing or different on the new computer. Change them to something generic, like Arial or Times New Roman.
And that was that. I saved the file and fired up Calibre. Went to the first magazine article I had just imported into Calibre and hit the Generate Cover button. All of my choices were there and I was able to pick the NSports article cover. Happy camper.

Due to the need to work around the font and path issue AND package the graphics, I don't think an option to do this is all that necessary. I hope the step-by-step guide above will serve in its stead.

Thanks as always, GM