Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #1
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle 4NT
Complete hang while doing IO

I'm trying to install Arch in a chroot by mashing together http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewto...e0e161707274e4 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96048

First time it happened while dd/mkfs'ing the file, later while downloading/extracting the Arch rootfs.

First I thought it was this outbound connection disconnection business, but I don't think that's it, as I disabled netwatchd.

At a seemingly random time, the Kindle UI stops responding. It does not accept new ssh connections, and a while later, the current one dies as well.

In between the first event and the second, I ^C and `ls`, which hanged as well. That reinforces my suspicion it is IO related.

When I replug the Kindle, usb network comes and goes, so something is still running in there, but SSH doesn't work at all. Only thing I can do is hold the power button for a while to reboot.

Any ideas?
pepijndevos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
loop mounts are sketchy, could be the issue. Hopefully someone with more experience in these things might have something to offer.

IIRC something to do with it already being loop mounted. "looping the loop" as it were.

not sure how to solid that up...
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:08 AM   #3
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You ran out of ram and I don't see in those directions where you have enabled a swap file or swap partition.

What is the model of your machine?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I think he is 4 non-touch mate
Old 10-13-2012, 10:10 AM   #5
qlob
Official Lurker
qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.qlob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You ran out of ram and I don't see in those directions where you have enabled a swap file or swap partition.
What is the model of your machine?
He is on a K4 as indicated by the title.
qlob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #6
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by qlob View Post
He is on a K4 as indicated by the title.
Didn't notice that Never do notice the tags
Old 10-13-2012, 10:16 AM   #7
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A little bit of confirmation from the O.P. would be nice before I tell him how to break the machine.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:32 AM   #8
twobob

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
A little bit of confirmation from the O.P. would be nice before I tell him how to break the machine.
heh. I am rather liking the thought of ARCH on the kindle. hope he gets it flying. never liked loops though so I won't be trying it. Native or bust! for me
Old 10-13-2012, 10:50 AM   #9
pepijndevos
Connoisseur
pepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenpepijndevos has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Yes, K4 it is.

So the solution is to swapon another loop file?

I'm not sure the solution is RAM, because it also hangs when I extract the rootfs and SCP it to the loop. Maybe I should create the loopfile locally and then put it on the kindle.

If anyone has a good guide on how to get Arch native, that would be a possible future step.
Old 10-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #10
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepijndevos View Post
Yes, K4 it is.

So the solution is to swapon another loop file?

I'm not sure the solution is RAM, because it also hangs when I extract the rootfs and SCP it to the loop. Maybe I should create the loopfile locally and then put it on the kindle.

If anyone has a good guide on how to get Arch native, that would be a possible future step.
Why in the world would you want to put swap in a loop file?

I am sure, you are the one who asked the question.

Build up your runtime image file off-kindle.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:13 AM   #11
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
I prefer running loop mounts after booting from diags. More free RAM, so you do not crash quite so soon. K3 main had plenty of free RAM, so no worries there...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #12
pepijndevos
Connoisseur

great idea to run of diags. Just chroot from there... Only, how do I mount the data partition from diags?

I was thinking that since I don't have a swap partition to keep me from running out of memory, I should use a swap file. But I generated the file of-kindle now.
Old 10-13-2012, 11:48 AM   #13
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Wasn't there a thread about the SAME thing happening on the debian chroot as well? That wasn't no memory issure either, as I tried it with a 1.5gb swapfile...

"Chroot environment locks-up"
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
twobob

From my meagre reading of the sources...

if MEM% left drops below 25% the garbage collector is run.

Perhaps there is an issue there. fighting for control. worth a thought.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:29 PM   #15
aditya3098
Guru
aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aditya3098 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Yes... Which Arch release is this? How new is it? What is the kernel version? Is the Arch kernel newer that the kindles?
aditya3098 is offline   Reply With Quote