Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-15-2011, 01:36 PM   #1
carolehughes
carolehughes began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
A fix that worked for me: re: Factory reset

I posted originally that my kobo needed constant Factory resets, one of the post replies fixed my problem I hope it works for you, I pasted his line into the Calibre option instead of what was there. Thank you ubervexed

Originally Posted by ubervexed
My experience is that certain chars (underscore, and multiple periods) in the book filename triggers the Factory Reset message. Sending a filename that contains these characters to the Touch can be prevented by changing a Calibre setting:

Select Preferences, then Sending bools to devices

Change Save template from {author_sort}/{title} - {authors} to {author_sort[0]}/{id}

This will ensure that both the directory and filename created on the Touch are innocuous.
carolehughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 02:41 PM   #2
volpo
Addict
volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volpo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E, Glo HD
Thanks!

I'll try it out. I had my first factory reset message this morning. KT worked fine last night. This morning not so good. Needed to FR. I'll post back in a few days with my result.

-V-
volpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 03:55 PM   #3
carolehughes

I didnt mention above, that before i did this I Factory Reset my kobo touch, then did the calibre change, I then downloaded several books from various places, and I dont have the error.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
A vast majority of my epubs have underscores in the file name, and I've not encountered this problem.

Based on comments in the other thread, it sounds like a firmware bug that will be fixed in the next update.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 08-16-2011 at 04:11 PM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
TalonNYC
TalonNYC began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
Based on comments in the other thread, it sounds like a firmware bug that will be fixed in the next update.
Unless you ask Kobo Tech Support, which I did, in which case it's a hardware error that they need to replace your unit for

Honestly, the Kindle has just as many (though different) issues, but at least Amazon has had enough time to figure out the difference between software and hardware. Hopefully the folks at Kobo will get the idea soon.
TalonNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 05:48 PM   #6
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
This message was posted today on the GetSatisfaction website by a Kobo Employee:

Quote:
We are aware of the issue and are working on providing a solution. We will have a solution in place with the next release. In the meantime, you can simply 'x' out of the error message and continue using the device. You do not have to perform the factory reset.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #7
carolehughes

Well I had that error for 2 weeks, I pasted the new command in calibre and its not reappeared...

I also emailed support to amazon,
I had the constant factory reset, I hit X on it

all I can say is the problem has disappeared, so over to you lol
Old 08-18-2011, 10:20 PM   #8
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A vast majority of my epubs have underscores in the file name, and I've not encountered this problem.
I spoke too soon, I guess. Apparently you only get the factory reset screen when starting the Kobo from power off rather than simply sleep mode. Thing is, I have done a "cold start" in the past with no problems, but now, suddenly, there it is. Since you can just exit out of the screen with no apparent ill effects, I'm not too worried.

Edit: O.K., something got really messed up and I kept getting errors every time I connected to Calibre (for the record, I deleted some books directly from the Kobo itself, which is apparently a bad idea if the database is corrupt), so I did the factory reset and I'm trying this tip now. We'll see how it goes.

Edit 2: Looks like it worked.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 08-19-2011 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
Marbles
Zealot
Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.Marbles got an A in P-Chem.

Device: KoboTouch & Kobo Vox iPad2
The problem you will have is if you use Kobo Desktop and go to sync your reader. It won't work and you will get an error.
Marbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #10
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marbles View Post
The problem you will have is if you use Kobo Desktop and go to sync your reader. It won't work and you will get an error.
What do you mean? If you use this fix and then try and sync with Kobo Desktop, it won't work?

Not a big deal to me since I don't use Kobo Desktop, but might be hassle for others.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Well, it worked for a bit, then I discovered today that after deleting a couple of books and adding some new ones with Calibre, my Kobo Touch wouldn't update properly, and I couldn't find the new books on the Kobo. So I did a cold start, and sure enough, database corruption, so I'm doing another factory reset and reloading my library... again.

This is really annoying. Is it Calibre that's causing the error? Or is everybody running into this problem regardless of what program they use to manage their library?

I guess the solution for now is to just not manage the library until Kobo releases a fix.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 08-20-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:12 PM   #12
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
This is really annoying. Is it Calibre that's causing the error? Or is everybody running into this problem regardless of what program they use to manage their library?
Even people who have not used Calibre at all have had this problem.
The following comment from Kobo employee David Freeman on GetSatistaction.com gives some insight, I think:
Quote:
With regards to the database error, we are investigating the issue, as mentioned previously, it is related to the integrity of the database of the Touch and the desktop app itself, they must be in sync. The last update was designed, among other things, to improve communication between Kobo eReaders(all models) and the desktop app. *
This would suggest that it is a bug either in the Kobo Desktop software for the reader firmware that manages the database. Therefore avoiding database syncs between the reader and another device may be the only way to avoid the error until the bug is fixed. But that is reading between the lines a bit.

* http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo/topi...ice_in_one_day
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 08:15 PM   #13
Joe563
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

According to a Kobo Developer the GetSatisfaction message is not true. An integrity check is only done on the Touch.
Old 08-20-2011, 09:25 PM   #14
rjcroy
Bibliophile
rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rjcroy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe563 View Post
According to a Kobo Developer the GetSatisfaction message is not true. An integrity check is only done on the Touch.
I see. hmmm.
I wonder if you never bought a Kobo book or ran the Kobo Desktop program against the Kobo, could you get the error? Is the Kobo's database used to manage sideloaded books as well?
rjcroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 10:26 PM   #15
Joe563

Quote:
Is the Kobo's database used to manage sideloaded books as well?
It is highly probable that the database is used to manage all of the file types on the Touch.
Books: EPUB, PDF and MOBI
Documents: PDF
Text: TXT, HTML and RTF
Comic Books: CBZ and CBR

The database would probably keep track of attributes such as title, author, file type, status etc