Notices

Old 07-31-2015, 06:51 AM   #1
Yusufbodrum
Yusufbodrum began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Vaio
Restoring Database

Hi.

I am new to this forum and would appreciate help with following issue:

In 2013 we discovered Calibre and populated it with books, brochures, seacharts, movies etc.

It served very well, however, we did not use Calibre over a year.

When I attempted to reuse it recently the installed software failed to start (Version 0.9.41.9). I shifted the library folder with the database file to another computer and installed there Calibre from scratch (Version 2.33). The software recognized the library folder, but claimed a corrupted database. I attempted to restore the database, but it failed.

Thereupon I attempted to import my old library with the "Add Book" side arrow option. This worked out very well, but left out a good number of documents - without any message.

I established, that it would fail to add documents in *.jpg or *.vob, *.csv for example. I researched and seem to understand that these are no valid formats (any longer?) for Calibre.

While I may have stretched Calibre by also entrusting it with movies and jpg brochures, this used to work in Version 0.9.41.9 perfectly...

Will Calibre not work for these formats any longer?

I would welcome any hint how to return to the satisfactory state in 2014 and not loose quite some work.

Cheers.
Yusufbodrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:27 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Calibre can only recover Books(and the metadata: OPF)
It just lets you store the other stuff along with the books
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:39 PM   #3
Yusufbodrum
Yusufbodrum began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Vaio
I have found the option

Add Books> Control the adding of books> Automatic adding> Auto add files of all types (not just ebooks)

This sounds like just what I need. I have enabled the option in expectation and have carried out yet another import.

But it has not worked.

Any help much appreciated.
Yusufbodrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 07:49 PM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
@Yusufbodrum - if you drag 'n drop the file - vob, mp3 etc - into the book list then calibre will create a new book. If you prefer to avoid drag 'n drop, and you're using Windows, put a shortcut to calibre.exe into your Send To folder and then use the Send to option from the shell context menu.

To add a non-book filetype to an existing book use the Add file to selected book option (Shift+A). You will have to change the file type selector to "all files" as it defaults to a list of book filetypes Ψ

You cannot store arbitrary jpg files in book folders. Only one .jpg is allowed which is always cover.jpg. You might be able to store other image types and have calibre 'know' they're there - maybe .tiff . When I want an extra image or two I insert them into the comments column. Beyond that I store them elsewhere and put some sort of link into calibre - today I would use a link to an Evernote 'note'.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2015 at 07:54 PM. Reason: grammar
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote