Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-01-2013, 12:56 PM   #391
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeklo View Post
Ok I finally installed jailbreak. Now I keep getting message Kindlet jailbreak required. But i installed it. Why does not recognise it. What did i do wrong. I admit i am stupid. Please help me.
Hints: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=204450

There you should find the link to fixing the "Kindlet jailbreak required" message.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:23 PM   #392
jeklo
jeklo began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
I gave up. I cannot do it. Will jailbreak damage my kindle? I wanna delete all. Is there any normal explain of how to do it?
jeklo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #393
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Ok I finally installed jailbreak. Now I keep getting message Kindlet jailbreak required. But i installed it. Why does not recognise it. What did i do wrong. I admit i am stupid. Please help me.
Please post the exact message that you see on the screen. Matchmake it with what you did. And matchmake it with the information from the first post of this thread.

No, I'm not an asshole, and I don't hate newbies. But I expect people to READ and FOLLOW the documentation that is available. Dammit - that's the whole point of writing the docs in the first place. I can't hold everybody's hand, and it's really tiring to see people ask questions that they can easily answer by themselves if only they READ AND FOLLOW THE DOCUMENTATION.

Spoiler:

The full "Kindlet jailbreak required" message goes like this (straight from the source code, emphasis mine):
This application requires the Kindlet Jailbreak to be installed. This is an additional jailbreak that must be installed on top of the Device Jailbreak, in order to allow Kindlets to get the required permissions. Please install the Kindlet Jailbreak before using this application.

ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #394
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I gave up. I cannot do it. Will jailbreak damage my kindle? I wanna delete all. Is there any normal explain of how to do it?
You really insist to drive me up the wall, don't you? The instructions for removing the jailbreak are right in the first post of the jailbreak thread.
Old 02-01-2013, 01:34 PM   #395
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
The installers come with docs - and in the main - uninstallers.

The "jailbreak" is one tiny file that will not hurt your device.

The "kindlet jailbreak" really wasn't installed (it's a separate thing) or it would say so when you tried it.

Tldr;
read docs. and you are okay to just give up now.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-01-2013, 01:35 PM   #396
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
hey, if I can jailbreak my KPW, anyone can do it. As ixtab says, though, you have to follow the directions *exactly*. When I updated to 5.3.3 (wish I hand't but I was on a CS call with Amazon at the time), I had to reinstall the kindlet and developers certificates after the update, but now everything works just fine.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:38 AM   #397
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2x Sony PRS-350; PRS-300 (†), Paperwhite (†), Voyage
Hi

I've a curious problem:

Due to a synchonisation (unintended) with Amazon I lost my collections made with CM. That’s not the problem at all. But now my books and even COLLECTION MANAGER are INVISIBLE because thy where part of collections.

Question:
How can I toggle visibility by hand without collection manager?

Thanks
Analogus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #398
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogus View Post
Hi

I've a curious problem:

Due to a synchonisation (unintended) with Amazon I lost my collections made with CM. That’s not the problem at all. But now my books and even COLLECTION MANAGER are INVISIBLE because thy where part of collections.

Question:
How can I toggle visibility by hand without collection manager?

Thanks
Plug Kindle to computer, delete CollectionsManager.azw2, unplug, wait 10 seconds, replug, put the file back there, unplug.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:52 AM   #399
Analogus
Fanatic
Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Analogus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi ixtab

Thanks. Working.

Allow me to have further going questions:

- HOW do you manage toggle visibility of files technically? I'm a Windows-man and not skilled on Linux. I guess this is a command in Linux. Is there a way to toggle it with Windows?

- WHERE will the information of the visibility be stored? In the file itself?

- Is there a way to prevent Amazon overriding collections made with CM? My collections made with Kindle itself had been restored when I went online to use wikipedia. That's bad, because there always seems to be a 'damocles sword' hanging over my collections ;-)

Thanks

A.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:56 AM   #400
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
- Is there a way to prevent Amazon overriding collections made with CM? My collections made with Kindle itself had been restored when I went online to use wikipedia. That's bad, because there always seems to be a 'damocles sword' hanging over my collections ;-)
Welcome to the Hate-Amazon-Policies club.

Just because you bought the device, you think you also own the behavior?
Not according to Amazon-Think.
Old 02-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #401
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Hi ixtab

Thanks. Working.

Allow me to have further going questions:

- HOW do you manage toggle visibility of files technically? I'm a Windows-man and not skilled on Linux. I guess this is a command in Linux. Is there a way to toggle it with Windows?

- WHERE will the information of the visibility be stored? In the file itself?
The settings are stored in the collections database, they're an attribute of the entry. By deleting the file, the entry was removed from the DB, and by adding it again, a new entry was created with the default visibility. You can't access the collections DB from Windows (at least not normally), as it's stored on the internal partition (/var/local/cc.db) - it's a simple SQLite database.

Quote:
No, unfortunately there is no such possibility.

But that damocles sword is hanging over your Kindle anyway, because if Amazon decides to push a new firmware update that completely locks down everything and leaves no way to jailbreak it (and they seem to strive for that), then we're all shit out of luck. The best way is to simply keep the device in airplane mode, and to only sideload content.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-03-2013 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:04 PM   #402
Analogus
Fanatic

Hi knc1

Hm, it sounds like there is no simple solution...

On the other hand I expected such behaviour and avoided to buy a 3G-device 'cause of those 'features'. On my Sony readers I tried to override unwanted behaviour.

So I think it's time to put hands on the Kindle too... My knowledge is limmited, but the will strong ;-)

A.

Edit:

Hi ixtab

Ok, that (db entry) sounds logic.
Concerning Amazon:
I recently got an unwanted update up to ..3.3 over my cellphone working as a hotspot. Luckily there is no data-size-limit otherwise that could become very expensive.

Last edited by Analogus; 02-03-2013 at 12:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:06 PM   #403
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Hi

Hm, it sounds like there is no simple solution...

On the other hand I expected such behaviour and avoided to buy a 3G-device 'cause of those 'features'. On my Sony readers I tried to override unwanted behaviour.

So I think it's time to put hands on the Kindle too... My knowledge is limmited, but the will strong ;-)

A.
Keep it in airplane mode for a day at least -
I am working on a "HowTo" for folks that want to block Big Brother.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:15 PM   #404
Analogus
Fanatic

Hi

That sounds great!
It would be nice to be able to use Wikipedia without big brother watching me so directly it does now. It's rediculous that you have to be logged into your Amazon account to use Wikipedia.

'Ein Schelm wer Böses denkt' (Shame to him who evil thinks)

A.
Old 02-03-2013, 12:22 PM   #405
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Keep it in airplane mode for a day at least -
I am working on a "HowTo" for folks that want to block Big Brother.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
collections, collections manager, kindle touch hacks