Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-19-2010, 04:27 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Amazon: New $189 Price Results in Tipping Point for Growth

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....176&highlight=

Quote:
"We've reached a tipping point with the new price of Kindle--the growth rate of Kindle device unit sales has tripled since we lowered the price from $259 to $189," said Jeff Bezos, Founder and CEO of Amazon.com. "In addition, even while our hardcover sales continue to grow, the Kindle format has now overtaken the hardcover format. Amazon.com customers now purchase more Kindle books than hardcover books--astonishing when you consider that we've been selling hardcover books for 15 years, and Kindle books for 33 months."
Nice followup to their 15 year mark.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:33 PM   #2
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
These are some eye popping numbers. Thanks for pointing the article out to us.

Quote:
* Over the past three months, for every 100 hardcover books Amazon.com has sold, it has sold 143 Kindle books. Over the past month, for every 100 hardcover books Amazon.com has sold, it has sold 180 Kindle books. This is across Amazon.com's entire U.S. book business and includes sales of hardcover books where there is no Kindle edition. Free Kindle books are excluded and if included would make the number even higher.

* Amazon sold more than 3x as many Kindle books in the first half of 2010 as in the first half of 2009.

* The Association of American Publishers' latest data reports that e-book sales grew 163 percent in the month of May and 207 percent year-to-date through May. Kindle book sales in May and year-to-date through May exceeded those growth rates.

* On July 6, Hachette announced that James Patterson had sold 1.14 million e-books to date. Of those, 867,881 were Kindle books.

* Five authors--Charlaine Harris, Stieg Larsson, Stephenie Meyer, James Patterson, and Nora Roberts--have each sold more than 500,000 Kindle books.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 04:42 PM   #3
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
"Amazon.com customers now purchase more Kindle books than hardcover books"

That's simply amazing. I didn't think ebooks would overtake hardbacks for a while. I'm assuming they still have a long way to go before ebooks approach paperback sales though.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
80% of Patterson's ebook sales are through Kindle?
That does suggest that they *do* hold 80% of the mainstream ebook market.

I notice they don't give absolute numbers for Kindle reader sales...
They must be getting most of their volume from the reader apps.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
I'd like to see how many kindle books are read on a kindle vs. ipad/iphone etc.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-19-2010, 05:23 PM   #6
BVLarson
Author
BVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-booksBVLarson has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle
I can attest to this. The sales numbers are amazing. As an author, my best title alone sold 40 copies yesterday (MECH). When listed with the bestsellers in all SF books, not just Kindle, I'm right in there at about the same slot level as any bestseller in print. I mean that being #4 in SF adventure = #5 in all SF adventure. Logically, the Kindle books are selling faster as the print books.

Also, I've worked out with a spreadsheet that they must be selling about 100k ebook titles a day. Or more. The top 100 books are selling 200+ copies a day. A few months ago, the news was in 2009 they were selling about 10k a day. That is a 1000% growth in titles sold.
-BVL
BVLarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 05:39 PM   #7
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
That's great. I hope these type of numbers lead to more backlist books being digitized.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:03 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Awesome post! It's always great to hear how successful eBooks are becoming. And even if this is a win for Amazon, it's a win for eBook enthusiasts as statistics like these will continue to erode resistance to ebooks.

We should all recognize the marketing genius of amazon.....( sorry I couldn't keep a straight face).

Anyhow we should all thank B&N for forcing the hand of Amazon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....176&highlight=

Nice followup to their 15 year mark.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
I'd like to see how many kindle books are read on a kindle vs. ipad/iphone etc.

Lee
Does it really matter? The real nugget of the story is that eBooks are coming of age.

=X=

Last edited by =X=; 07-19-2010 at 06:06 PM.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:10 PM   #9
mikij
Connoisseur
mikij doesn't littermikij doesn't litter

Device: PRS-600
The age of ebooks is coming! Gutenberg did the first revolution and made books accessible, we are living in the second book revolution. Let the people read!

I would just like to know how many ebooks would Amazon sell if they were DRM-free and for multiple devices. Their numbers would increase exponentially.

Last edited by mikij; 07-19-2010 at 06:12 PM.
mikij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 06:18 PM   #10
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
I wonder of this is more about "Amazon can sell stuff" than it is about "ebooks are taking off". I'd like to think it's the latter but I suspect there is no straightforward read-across from what Amazon's doing to what is happening in the rest of the ebook market.
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:23 PM   #11
RyanMWilliams
Author
RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!RyanMWilliams rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Nook WiFi
I think it is good news on several fronts. As a reader more sales will hopefully lead to more content. Not that there isn't plenty to read (I could never get through everything) but there are books I'd like to see that still aren't available. As a writer it is a very exciting time to be putting out more books through Amazon, but also I've noticed more Smashwords sales too so I think the growth isn't just in Amazon's Kindle market.
RyanMWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 07:53 PM   #12
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I wonder of this is more about "Amazon can sell stuff" than it is about "ebooks are taking off". I'd like to think it's the latter but I suspect there is no straightforward read-across from what Amazon's doing to what is happening in the rest of the ebook market.
I suspect a lot of e-book buyers are like me -- they already had existing Amazon accounts long before they started buying e-books. That makes it oh-so-easy to just click and buy without having to register somewhere else and put in credit card numbers again.

When I first started buying e-books I actually bought most of them at Fictionwise, though, and paid through Paypal. Then the crazy crash happened and they lost so much ground that I just gave up on them and have gone over to Amazon. Although I don't have a Kindle yet (it's on the way to me even as we speak!), I've been ordering from Amazon for a while now using the Kindle4PC app. I read them, however, on any or all of my readers thanks to my friend Google. :-)
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:39 PM   #13
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVLarson View Post
I can attest to this. The sales numbers are amazing. As an author, my best title alone sold 40 copies yesterday (MECH).
Debbi Mack, author of Identity Crisis, reported on her Facebook page that she has sold 5,600 copies of her book on Amazon in Kindle format and 84 in Smashwords. That's the power Amazon brings.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #14
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The real nugget of the story is that eBooks are coming of age.
No, it's much more than "ebooks are coming of age". That's the story the American Booksellers Association tells when it talks about growth rates of ebooks generally.

Amazon's achievement is impressive, whichever way you swing the cat. It is Kindle books, the so called “closed” standard vs every other vendor, many with a supposed “open” standard of DRM ePub. Yet best selling author James Patterson has sold 867,881 Kindle books and just 272,119 in ALL other formats combined.

And the Kindle book share is growing. Compared to both May sales and year-to-date sales ending May, Kindle grew faster than the market — this in spite of the onslaught of Nooks, iPads and Kobos which, even combined, lost ground.

Amazon also noted its sales of Kindle books exceeded hardcover books very significantly, in a trend that is growing the gap. Importantly, Amazon’s calculation excludes free books.

Amazon is setting the stage: it reports Q2 2010 earnings / performance results on Thu July 22.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 08:44 PM   #15
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikij View Post
The age of ebooks is coming! Gutenberg did the first revolution and made books accessible, we are living in the second book revolution. Let the people read!
Actually, I just ran into a rather nice quote today from Maya Reynolds over at Teleread:

Quote:
I actually find it ironic that the printing press–the invention that democratized reading–is being pushed aside by a new technology that will democratize publishing. Digital files plus print-on-demand technology (not to mention e-books) will end the hegemony of the Big Six publishers by making it possible for anyone to become a publisher.
eBooks are now mainstream, despite all the efforts of the Price-Fix Five.
Now, it gets *really* interesting; blood will flow.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote