Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Verizon and Google Teaming Up For Tablet

WSJ
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...NewsCollection

More detail found on the Bloomberg site
http://preview.bloomberg.com/news/20...-computer.html
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
I am hoping for an announcement at Google I/O on May 20th, together with the introduction of Android OS 2.2 with integrated Flash.

I am also hoping for a screen closer to 11"....
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 PM   #3
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Now this is a tablet "announcement" worth paying attention to....except even the Verizon CEO doesn't know much about it. Don't know how early they are on the drawing board.

That's the wonderful thing about Android -- getting to compete against Google who makes it.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Looking forward to seeing how this turns out. Hopefully they go the iPad route and have a cheaper wifi only version as well as I don't need/want 3g.

In any case, I have the most faith that Google will put out a tablet that matches the good parts of the iPad (battery life, form factor, screen quality etc.) and fixes the gripes I have with it (no file system, drag and drop, no flash, no usb ports etc.).
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #5
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Wonderful! This could be the one.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #6
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase View Post
Now this is a tablet "announcement" worth paying attention to....except even the Verizon CEO doesn't know much about it. Don't know how early they are on the drawing board.

It sounds more like NDA, than "doesn't know much about it."

The main story here is that the carrier will be Verizon. We already knew that there is a Google tablet in the works, and close to market.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #7
junkml
Addict
junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.junkml ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader
I pray they'll work with someone besides Verizon. I refuse to do business with organizations that are as shady and dishonest as Verizon.
junkml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:08 AM   #8
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by junkml View Post
I pray they'll work with someone besides Verizon. I refuse to do business with organizations that are as shady and dishonest as Verizon.
Really? You must have had a bad experience. I think they are all a bit shady and less than truthful, but I'd be interested in hearing why.

I was actually considering going with a Google phone and Verizon...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:00 AM   #9
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Really? You must have had a bad experience. I think they are all a bit shady and less than truthful, but I'd be interested in hearing why.

I was actually considering going with a Google phone and Verizon...
We had Verizon for about 15 years and ditched them a couple years ago. We felt their customer service was below par and their rate plans were not competitive. Verizon also has a tendency to charge extra for nice features like Visual Voicemail.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:31 AM   #10
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
My experience with Verizon vs AT&T is that Verizon has far better coverage where my family uses their phones the most. CS is typical but I get decent discounts because I have Verizon for my TV, Internet, and landline.

I would definitely be interested in this tablet.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 11:56 AM   #11
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yep, I have several friends with AT&T (most with iPhones).

Countless times they've had no or poor reception and I've had good reception with Verizon. Never has the opposite been true in my experience.

I've had Verizon for years, get a 20% discount for being a state employee as well, so it's a no brainer for me. Though I think there's a similar discount with AT&T.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #12
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Google good. Verizon bad. That's going to be a tough one.

Verizon's attitude from the beginning has been "We don't care about our customers. We don't have to; we're The Phone Company." Where they have a monopoly they act like a monopolist, and where they don't have a monopoly, they do anyway. They have the worst customer service, the most hidden charges, and the most questionable ethics (and that's saying a lot for a phone company!) of any provider I've dealt with, aside from one very bad incident with MCI, years ago ... and we know what happened to them.

And I'm still thinking this might be my next techie toy.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:16 PM   #13
dmaul1114
Wizard

Well, again, hopefully there will be a wifi only version. I have no need for 3G in a tablet.

I know some do, but I see that as something a majority probably don't need to pay for as a tablet/slate isn't really a "take it everywhere you go" device like a smart phone.

Hopefully it will also have USB ports, so one could just plug in a 3G dongle form their provider of choice.
Old 05-12-2010, 12:50 PM   #14
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
The real question is, who is making the device?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 12:53 PM   #15
dmaul1114
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
The real question is, who is making the device?
Good question.

If I had to guess, it would be HTC who makes the Nexus One.