Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 09:41 AM   #1
Marpa47
Marpa47 began at the beginning.

Device: ZEN
being patient

I used to do quite a lot of e-book reading by way of a PDF. Having no such device at present, the new e-books are very attractive alternative. HOWEVER, their overall prices are what put me off, (and very likely many like myself).

It brings to mind, (and this is giving away my age), the original digital watch (see Douglas Adams' Hitchikers' Guide...). At the dawn of this current digital age, that original watch was a harbinger of trends to come. It's first 'iteration' used LED's for the display. These were power-hungry and so the first generation battery lasted mere months. I think that the LED's were short-lived, too. That first watch also had only a few functions, and was extremely expensive, costing in the hundreds of dollars at a time when that kind of money might have been comperable to the cost of an e-book reader today. Nowadays, if you hunt, you can find a digital watch with as many functions as you could possible imagine (and some you haven't even dreamt of) with a battery guaranteed for 10 years for a few bucks. How's that for supply and demand? Of course the LED is long gone, replaced by LCD's and backlighting (which is still in development, too!).

So, my dear fellow tech enthusiasts, I offer this note of encouragement to those who, like me, are awaiting the next price drop: time will come when competition, tech improvements (some of which are not even dreamt of as yet) and increased production both drop prices and improve functionality. Never buy 1st generation unless that is important for its own sake.

PS

i've got a lot of mobipocket books, and so wll be looking for the one that allows reading secured files, like ILIAD or BOOKEEN. as of yet, don't think either the Sony or Kindle will allow that.
Marpa47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 09:49 AM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marpa47 View Post
It's first 'iteration' used LED's for the display. These were power-hungry and so the first generation battery lasted mere months. I think that the LED's were short-lived, too.
Wow, that brings back memories. When I was about 8 or 9 maybe my grandmother bought my brother and I each one of those "new" LED watches. As you said they were very power hungry. So much so that the time didn't even display all the time. You had to press a button on the side of the watch to see what time it was.

We wore out the included battery in less than a week if I recall... and were very disappointed. Back then those watch batteries were very expensive (relatively) too.

BOb

PS: NOW GET OF MY LAWN YOU MEDDLING KIDS!!!
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 02:59 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Marpa47 and welcome to the Forum.

I remember the dawn of digital watches and having to push a button to get it to light up. I also remember when hand-held calculators sold for $100. Now they give the damn things away.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote