Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-31-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kindle 3
Calibre library android app. Is it worth it?

Hi,

What does the Calibre android app do?

I use the browser on my tablet to connect to the Calibre server on my PC and download books.

Does the android app do more than that? Is it worth it?

Thanks
clittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by clittle View Post
What does the Calibre android app do?
No idea. The "Calibre" android app isn't developed or distributed by the author of calibre and as such is not a supported product in this forum.

Quote:
I use the browser on my tablet to connect to the Calibre server on my PC and download books.

Does the android app do more than that? Is it worth it?
If you are able to get books from your PC to your tablet then I would guess that the android app will not be worth it to you.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 07:07 AM   #3
clittle
Zealot
clittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterclittle can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Thanks for the feedback.

Supported or not isn't really the issue.

I'm asking for the knowledge and experiences of other users.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 AM   #4
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony PRS-350, Astak PocketPro, iPhone, Asus eee Pad Transformer
For my money ($2.99), it's worth it. It is easy to set up, and provides a nice menu for selecting books to download from the PC. When the app is run, you receive a menu allowing you to sort your listing of available books. Next comes the sorted booklist. Selecting one of the books results in a nicely formatted page providing a cover image and other metadata (assuming it's in your calibre database). If all you want is a list of books, then it may not be worth it to you.
GeneS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneS View Post
For my money ($2.99), it's worth it. It is easy to set up
That sounds like a plus, but if the OP already has the content server working then it's a wash.

Quote:
and provides a nice menu for selecting books to download from the PC. When the app is run, you receive a menu allowing you to sort your listing of available books. Next comes the sorted booklist. Selecting one of the books results in a nicely formatted page providing a cover image and other metadata (assuming it's in your calibre database).
I'm curious, how is this any different then the existing content server menus, searches and nicely formatted pages with covers and metadata from your library?
Advert
Old 01-01-2012, 04:29 PM   #6
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast
GeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enoughGeneS will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I'm curious, how is this any different then the existing content server menus, searches and nicely formatted pages with covers and metadata from your library?

The information is very similar to what I see when I use the browser on my desktop. On my Asus tablet, the only information I get when accessing the database through the Asus browser is a booklist with thumbnails -- no metadata. Trying to download a book via the Asus browser has been hit or miss for me. More often than not, it's miss. On the other hand, accessing and downloading the calibre content using the Calibre Library app has been very successful. Admittedly, if one can access the metadata via the browser and downloading is successful, then it's probably not worth the purchase.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
The information is very similar to what I see when I use the browser on my desktop. On my Asus tablet, the only information I get when accessing the database through the Asus browser is a booklist with thumbnails -- no metadata.
Does the ASUS tablet automatically force the /mobi view (sounds like what you're describing) or is this something you can control and view the standard content server page if desired?

Quote:
Trying to download a book via the Asus browser has been hit or miss for me. More often than not, it's miss. On the other hand, accessing and downloading the calibre content using the Calibre Library app has been very successful.
It sounds as if it was definitely worth the price to you. Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:31 AM   #8
peaceridge
Guru
peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.peaceridge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura1, Nexus7.2, Galaxy Tab A 8.4, Ipad Air & Mini 6
What about a tablet that is not recognized by Calibre when attached to the pc? I have a Sony S and it shows up without a drive letter, thus Calibre can't recognize it (I, too, am using Dropbox). The Sony S does recognize my pc wifi, but I've had wifi recognition problems with other gadgets (such as my printer). Does the Andriod app recognize such?
peaceridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #9
clittle
Zealot

Quote:
The information is very similar to what I see when I use the browser on my desktop. On my Asus tablet, the only information I get when accessing the database through the Asus browser is a booklist with thumbnails -- no metadata. Trying to download a book via the Asus browser has been hit or miss for me. More often than not, it's miss. On the other hand, accessing and downloading the calibre content using the Calibre Library app has been very successful. Admittedly, if one can access the metadata via the browser and downloading is successful, then it's probably not worth the purchase.
Thanks for the info. That's very helpful.

I have an Asus tab also (eepad transformer101) and use the Opera browser to access the Calibre server on my PC. I see all the metadata. Don't know why you don't? What browser are you using? You might want to try try Opera or Dolphin (which I think would work as well).

Hmmm I just tried the stock Android browser and it doesn't show all the info.

With Opera I get two extra buttons for each book (top line, far right): Details and Permalink. Both yield more info.

Note: In Opera, it may be necessary to use the Desktop user agent. It's not the default. I always you that setting so I'm not sure if it's needed. To set, go to: User/Settings/Advanced/User agent/Desktop

HTH,

CL
Old 01-02-2012, 05:03 PM   #10
gweminence
Fat Guy
gweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notesgweminence can name that song in three notes

Device: Kindle Voyage
I use it. It was worth 3 bucks to me. As stated, there are free ways of doing the same thing, but this makes it less cumbersome.
gweminence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:03 PM   #11
SirBC
Connoisseur
SirBC is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by peaceridge View Post
What about a tablet that is not recognized by Calibre when attached to the pc? I have a Sony S and it shows up without a drive letter, thus Calibre can't recognize it (I, too, am using Dropbox). The Sony S does recognize my pc wifi, but I've had wifi recognition problems with other gadgets (such as my printer). Does the Andriod app recognize such?
If you are using Dropbox, take a look at Calibre2OPDS. I use this on Dropbox and my family members can browse and download ebooks in a nicely formatted presentation. It's quite slick. Works well on my ASUS Transformer Prime tablet. You can see a test catalog here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/958355/Demo....log/index.html

Last edited by SirBC; 01-02-2012 at 07:12 PM.
SirBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 07:35 PM   #12
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Does the ASUS tablet automatically force the /mobi view (sounds like what you're describing) or is this something you can control and view the standard content server page if desired?
I'm not sure, but believe the answer is yes (i.e., mobi view). I haven't seen an option to obtain the standard content server page, but also haven't dedicated much time to researching it.
Old 01-02-2012, 07:38 PM   #13
GeneS
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
What browser are you using? You might want to try try Opera or Dolphin (which I think would work as well).

Hmmm I just tried the stock Android browser and it doesn't show all the info.

With Opera I get two extra buttons for each book (top line, far right): Details and Permalink. Both yield more info.
I use the stock Android browser and mine also fails to show all info. Because the Calibre Library app works so well for me (and since I've already purchased it) I think I'll just stick with it. Thanks.

Followup: Just tried to Opera browser; much nicer than the stock browser. I probably would not have purchased the additional app had I tried Opera first. Nevertheless, the Calibre Library app works very well.

Last edited by GeneS; 01-03-2012 at 08:18 AM. Reason: Additional information