Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-02-2011, 11:11 PM   #1
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Exclamation Screen cleaner ruined my eReader [tags: clean, cleaning]

A warning to folks. I've seen posts in this and other forums from people who say they use their computer screen cleaner on their eReader as well.

I used the same cleaner that I use on my LCD monitor, and it turned my Kindle screen toward a sepia color. Very nasty. If you use a cleaner on your eReader with no ill effect, that's great. But to anyone who hasn't yet decided what to do, I suggest you use a clean, dry microfiber or terry cloth. Add a little dampness to your cloth only if you need it.

I have a Kindle 3, but my guess is that (some) other eReaders are contructed similary. The cleaner I used is marketed specifically for CRT and LCD monitors. I hope this post saves someone's device.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Ouch. My sympathies, Kevin. Having been one to go down the "Orange oil gets rid of everything!" enthusiasm path, and discover it gets rid of transparency & gloss on some plastics (thankfully for me only tupperware-type stuff was damaged) I can also empathise with you to some small degree. It's a good reminder to me to respect those "clean, dry microfiber or terry cloth" care instructions I sometimes am a bit blasé about.

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 01:49 AM   #3
Kevin8or
Guru
Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kevin8or ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
My Kindle is less than 30 days old, and Amazon offered to send me a new one. They'll count my returned device as a "defective" one, even though it's my fault.

Yeah, I've got a warm and fuzzy feeling toward them right now. I'm sure my hatred for DRM will overpower this odd emotion soon enough.
Kevin8or is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 03:48 AM   #4
howyoudoin
how YOU doin?
howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.howyoudoin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro 10.5”, Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Libra 2
Feel bad for what happened to you mate, and also glad that Amazon are so generous.

Last edited by howyoudoin; 10-03-2011 at 05:50 AM.
howyoudoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 04:31 AM   #5
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i was thinking of using one of my eyeglass cleaning wipes on the screen, i think i'll just invest in a little microfiber cloth now. thanks for the warning.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2011, 04:49 AM   #6
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
All I ever get on mine is dust, a quick blow gets rid of that. Same goes for the computer monitor.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 05:37 AM   #7
Lester Burnham
Enthusiast
Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.Lester Burnham did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 902, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr ploppy View Post
All I ever get on mine is dust, a quick blow gets rid of that. Same goes for the computer monitor.
Same for me. Unless I hand my reader over to someone who thinks it's a touch screen. Then I've got their @#$% fingerprint's and whatever food/filth they've collected throughout the day to deal with.

I'm glad I read this though. I noticed we've got a box of lens cleaners at work and I was wondering if it would be a good idea every now and again to use one. I believe I'll pass on that.

Thanks for the heads-up, Kevin8or.
Lester Burnham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
Quote:
You never sneezed while reading?
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:19 AM   #9
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
I used the same cleaner that I use on my LCD monitor, and it turned my Kindle screen toward a sepia color. Very nasty.
What brand of LCD cleaner does that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin8or View Post
If you use a cleaner on your eReader with no ill effect, that's great.
I do, if need be - microfiber cloth is sufficient most of the time but with the cleaner (Rogge / Ronol which was tested and recommended by prad.de for lcd/tv screens) the result is perfect.

And there's nothing in the cleaner that could turn the color in any way.

If your cleaner does that you should stop using it altogether. Only use well known and thoroughly tested brands, and of those only the strictly non-aggressive kind (e.g. no alcohol).

Last edited by frostschutz; 10-03-2011 at 09:08 AM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:26 AM   #10
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
You never sneezed while reading?
All the time in summer, but I never got used to using books as a hanky so it's easy enough to move the reader out of the way.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 07:29 AM   #11
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

I've been using Bausch & Lomb Sight Savers lens cleaners to clean the screen on my Sony reader for over a year now without any problems. Looking at the box these are pre-moistened with isopropanol.

That was very good of Amazon.
Old 10-03-2011, 07:30 AM   #12
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
All the time in summer, but I never got used to using books as a hanky so it's easy enough to move the reader out of the way.
It's not always as easy as you seem to make it. I've had sneezes where I didn't get "advance warning", so to say...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #13
mikegetz
Professional Nerd
mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mikegetz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nook WiFI, KOBO, Pandigital Novel Personal
i use the super cheap walmart brand eyeglasses cleaner and an microfiber cleaning cloth. I use it on my glasses, tv, monitor, laptop screen, reader ... anything that i want to remain clear. never had a problem with it.

now, if you have a 20 year old bottle of alcohol based glasses cleaner, pitch it and get a new bottle of plastics-safe cleaner. and pre-moistened wipes are just evil.
mikegetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #14
Ajax
Addict
Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ajax ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 Touch, Kindle Fire, HP Touchpad
For those of you looking for cheap microfiber cloths:

I normally pick up the 5-10 packs of microfiber cloths in the automotive section at Target. They are often on sale for $4, much nicer than most places that try to sell them for $10 a piece. I use them to clean my 58" plasma, computer monitors, and everything else.
Ajax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2011, 10:34 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by xg4bx View Post
i was thinking of using one of my eyeglass cleaning wipes on the screen, i think i'll just invest in a little microfiber cloth now. thanks for the warning.
The optician advised me not to use cleaning wipes to clean my glasses. Best way is watter and.. I can't find the word, that "soap" you use to clean dishes, it remove grease effectively .
Then dry it with as soft a cloth you can find.

As far as the e-reader goes; I use mostly a cloth and watter. Sometimes glass cleaning product.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaning, screen