Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 05-07-2010, 12:21 PM   #1
10tklz
Edge User

Viewing RTFs?

It seems that Docs2go does not support viewing RTFs. Is that correct or am I doing something wrong? How can I read and maybe write to RTF?

Old 05-07-2010, 12:34 PM   #2
kenjennings
Edge User

Yes, not opening RTF files surprised me too. I'd figure this would be expected.

Advert
Old 05-08-2010, 05:16 AM   #3
robot
Edge User

Wrong.
There's ready to use document viewers for e-ink based systems (including RTF). More imortant, they are free and open source. Developers of eDGe should port openink viewers ( http://openinkpot.org ). They support almost every format:

* ePub
* FB2
* HTML, XHTML
* Plain text
* RTF
* PDF
* DjVu
* TCR (Psion compressed text)
* Plucker
* Open E-Book (OEB)
* OpenReader
* ztxt (Weasel)
* Palmdoc (Aportis)
* Mobipocket
* CHM
* xpm

There's no way that eDGe developers will make support for all of those formats on e-ink displays in reasonable time (openink project took 3 years to development bug free software). Or at least eDGe should give us root and api, so we will port it to eDGe by ourself.

Old 05-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #4
10tklz
Edge User

I would like to at least be able to read RTFs, nothing fancy.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
aidren
Edge User

Me, too. Big time. Robot seems to be talking about the ereader side, but, what I want is support for rtf in docs to go, because that was my means of a work around with the inability to export, full function, with notes and annotations. Of course, I can work with a .doc format, but I use an open source office program (neo office), and working with doc just adds another step. One of the reasons I was drawn to the eDGe was because it was 'seemingly' purported to be striving to be open. Having said that, I do realize that 'docs to go' is an extant proprietary resource. But, I'd still like to see entourage working 'more' towards the whole open source 'world'.

Advert