Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
ruddell
Enthusiast
ruddell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
K2 getting slow

I've noticed my K2 getting slow recently. It seems that the more I put on it, the slower it gets. It takes a while to go from the screen saver to the active screen or vice versa. It even takes a while now to go from one page to the next while reading a book. Today I tried to show someone how to enlarge the text, and it took probably 15 seconds or more to adjust the text size.

Anyone else had this problem? I've done the font hack and the screen saver hack. Could either of these be causing it?

Thanks
ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
I haven't had this problem but maybe a reset (either the power switch hold for 20-30 seconds or the menu factory reset option) will clear up the issue.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
ruddell
Enthusiast
ruddell began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
what exactly does the factory reset do? will it format the drive? will it remove the screensaver hack or the font hack? Just wondering what I'm getting myself into.
ruddell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruddell View Post
what exactly does the factory reset do? will it format the drive? will it remove the screensaver hack or the font hack? Just wondering what I'm getting myself into.
I just tried it and here's what happens.

- you get a warning that all your books will be removed but you will be able to download them again.
- once it restarts, it has become a brand new *deregistered* Kindle
- I had to enter my Amazon email address and password to re-register my Kindle to my account
- on the home page are the latest user guide, the Oxford American dictionary (I have to re-download the Websters I've been using as my default, and the link to my archived items.

I have the screensaver hack installed and it is still listed on the settings page. But I get blank screens instead of my personal images. I'll have to reinstall it.

In conclusion, for your problem, try the slider reset first. If that doesn't work, then try the factory reset.

Edit: I just re-downloaded the book I had been reading and it opened where I left off (though I did have to change the font size from the default).

Last edited by daffy4u; 08-08-2009 at 10:54 AM.
Old 08-08-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
I just tried it and here's what happens.

- you get a warning that all your books will be removed but you will be able to download them again.
- once it restarts, it has become a brand new *deregistered* Kindle
- I had to enter my Amazon email address and password to re-register my Kindle to my account
- on the home page are the latest user guide, the Oxford American dictionary (I have to re-download the Websters I've been using as my default, and the link to my archived items.

I have the screensaver hack installed and it is still listed on the settings page. But I get blank screens instead of my personal images. I'll have to reinstall it.

In conclusion, for your problem, try the slider reset first. If that doesn't work, then try the factory reset.

Edit: I just re-downloaded the book I had been reading and it opened where I left off (though I did have to change the font size from the default).
Wow, that is a surprise. Just one more reason I'll keep my K1 as long as possible.

Ruddell, before you try this, no matter what the battery indicator shows, give it a good two-hour charge and see if that possibly helps. Then, again before reset, I'd call customer service and see if they have some magic wand that will fix it easier than the factory reset. Good luck.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 11:48 AM   #6
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Yeah, it's pretty extreme. One new thing. For some reason the text looks markedly darker than it did before. Could be my imagination and I wasn't expecting it but it really does look darker to me.
Old 08-31-2009, 01:30 PM   #7
bkleynbok
bkleynbok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Kindle 2 Font Hack

I have installed Font Hack for Kindle 2 from blogkindle.com then uninstalled it.

Would automatic Amazon updates work as long as Kindle Font Hack is not installed?

Cheers,

Boris
bkleynbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 02:25 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkleynbok View Post
I have installed Font Hack for Kindle 2 from blogkindle.com then uninstalled it.

Would automatic Amazon updates work as long as Kindle Font Hack is not installed?

Cheers,

Boris
The K2 Screensaver Hack will prevent updates, so to be on the safe side, as long as no hacks are installed, you will get updates. You can always re-install hacks after you've received the update (and un-install the hacks when you get word of a new update).
Old 08-31-2009, 08:55 PM   #9
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Wow,

I'm really confused. On my K2 a restart does not erase the existing books.

I have done a reset a couple of times (ie, I held the power switch to the right for about 30 seconds). When you let up it shows a Kindle splash screen and then it shows a progress bar for a bit before it pops to life. I have the font hack installed, but not the screensaver.

I don't have my K2 handy, but I think I removed the kernel patch files from the root after the hack was initially applied. Could it be that your patch files are still in the root? Might it be that it is re-installing the patch files with each restart, and could that be causing the file erasure?
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:09 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious

Quote:
Originally Posted by emellaich View Post
Wow,

I'm really confused. On my K2 a restart does not erase the existing books.

I have done a reset a couple of times (ie, I held the power switch to the right for about 30 seconds). When you let up it shows a Kindle splash screen and then it shows a progress bar for a bit before it pops to life. I have the font hack installed, but not the screensaver.

I don't have my K2 handy, but I think I removed the kernel patch files from the root after the hack was initially applied. Could it be that your patch files are still in the root? Might it be that it is re-installing the patch files with each restart, and could that be causing the file erasure?
It's the "reset to factory defaults" that erases the files (menu > settings > menu > reset to factory defaults), not the slide switch reset.
Old 08-31-2009, 10:36 PM   #11
emellaich
Wizard
emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emellaich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm>Ebookman>IPaq>Axim>Cybook>Kndl2>IPAD>Kndl3SO>Voyager>Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
It's the "reset to factory defaults" that erases the files (menu > settings > menu > reset to factory defaults), not the slide switch reset.
Ahhh, thanks. I can see you were talking about that. I was confused .
emellaich is offline   Reply With Quote