Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 07-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #1
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
SmartQ 7 - Tested WinCE Applications List

This thead is to provide information for folks who are trying to get applications to run in WinCE 6.0 on their SmartQ 7. I will keep this list updated as I go along. I will also build into this list as much information on how I got the apps working (or didn't).

Working Applications

Resco Photo Viewer
Description: Image viewing and slideshows ** Trial Version Only - Not Free **
Action: Modified the CAB file so it would be tricked into thinking it can install into this OS.

uBook v2009r1
Description: Popular eBook reading application for Windows Mobile and WinCE.
Action: Modified the CAB file so it would be tricked into thinking it can install into this OS.

MobiPocket 5.3.582
Description: Popular eBook reading application for Windows Mobile and WinCE.

PocketRAR
Description: Application to manage RAR files on the device.
Action: Manually copied files to device and ran the executable - planning on building a custom CAB for install.

CorePlayer
Description: Audio and Video application
Action: Manually copied files to device and ran the executable - planning on building a custom CAB for install.

KingReader
Description: eBook reader with iPhone-like functionality (animation and user interface). TXT files ONLY.

Non-Functioning Applications

Opera Mobile
Description: Web browser
Action: Install successful for customized CAB file. Application failed to execute(run). Attempting to manually copy files to device. Outcome unknown at this time.

Skyfire
Description: Web browser
Action: Install successful for customized CAB file. Application failed to execute(run). Attempting to manually copy files to device. Outcome unknown at this time.

PDF Reader
Description: PDF Viewing application

Google Map
Description: Application to view Google Maps on the device (requires working internet connection)

If you wish to add to this list you can either send me a private list or post to the thread and I'll copy your info into the first message of the thread. If you can, try to maintain the formatting I've set up for reporting this information.

Hope this helps some people!

Regards,
Cold

Last edited by ColdSun; 07-22-2009 at 01:00 AM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #2
Houndx
Groupie
Houndx doesn't litterHoundx doesn't litter

Device: A81 MID, Dell Streak
I've been waiting to ask In what way did you modify the cabs? I'm just guessing, but did you change the OSVersionMax and PlatformMax values in the setup.xml or was it something different?

edit: also, have you installed the compact .NET framework? Some of the apps your testing may rely on it

Last edited by Houndx; 07-21-2009 at 09:16 PM.
Houndx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:19 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Do you have the menu bar working on Mobipocket 5.3? If so, then this is great. MobiReader 5.3 has much better image support than 4.x.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #4
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

HoundX,
Actually, I will write up how I changed the CAB files in a more detailed addition to this thread, but for now, what I did was download a 30-day time limit version of WinCE Cab Manager which allows you to not only update the XML inside the cab (and all the information you need to change to get an application working), but you can also create new CAB files and extract files from existing CAB files.

Nate,
The menu bar is working, although some applications in WinCE 6 seem to have the menu bar along the bottom instead of the top. Odd? Chinese OS maybe? In any event, its there and it works.

I'll be back later with more information. I'm trying to get some of the failed applications to work.

P.S. I found all of this out because the Meizu M8 phone device has MANY similarities to the SmartQ 5 and 7. I found a fan board that had information on how to get some of these apps working with the M8. I also modded some of the apps that were already modded for the M8 and took out the M8 menu specifics going into the installed app's registry entry in WinCE.

Last edited by ColdSun; 07-21-2009 at 09:26 PM.
Old 07-21-2009, 09:25 PM   #5
lugusto
lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: SmartQ 7
AlReader 2 (manually instaled) is working nicely on my Smart Q7 + WinCE 6.0 + translation cab with recycle bin icons bug.

Last edited by lugusto; 07-21-2009 at 09:32 PM. Reason: something is weird here; 4th attempt to post this message O_o
lugusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #6
lugusto
lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lugusto has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

ZuluReader seens to work (it crashed here at least one time but the problem may be is the user not the software )
lugusto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 04:17 AM   #7
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

I purchased Comic Reader Mobi and am trying to get that working. What I've seen of the application looks to be one of the best comic readers out there. I'm having problems with the install at the moment, but the developer is very nice and seems to be working with me to get things working. If it does work - the features on the app are far better than Comix for the Linux OS. I really like the zoom to panel features it has.
Old 07-22-2009, 05:52 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Do you have the menu bar working on Mobipocket 5.3? If so, then this is great. MobiReader 5.3 has much better image support than 4.x.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
Nate,
The menu bar is working, although some applications in WinCE 6 seem to have the menu bar along the bottom instead of the top. Odd? Chinese OS maybe? In any event, its there and it works.
I just used the download from the Mobipocket site and could install it. The menubar (also on the bottom for me), is acting weirdly... I had to reset my OS (don't ask me why, I just love to tinker with apps and one completely crashed my OS) and when I reinstalled mobipocket, the images were gone... I then installed an older version, opened it (it did have images), decided I really wanted the newest, installed that and voila, images are working again!

Weird...

(I've WinCE5.0 btw)

Quote:
I purchased Comic Reader Mobi and am trying to get that working. What I've seen of the application looks to be one of the best comic readers out there. I'm having problems with the install at the moment, but the developer is very nice and seems to be working with me to get things working. If it does work - the features on the app are far better than Comix for the Linux OS. I really like the zoom to panel features it has.
Please keep me informed!

Last edited by Sweetpea; 07-22-2009 at 05:54 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:38 AM   #9
Nation.A.List
Addict
Nation.A.List doesn't litterNation.A.List doesn't litter

Coldsun I have found 18 WinCE games for M8 that may work with the Q5/Q7. I have downloaded them all but don't know what to do next. An example of what is in one of the .rar files is as follows;

Folders - Config , dat , save
Files - DeathDrivePPC2003.exe , £DDeathDrivePPC2003.cab , debug.txt , icon.png

Any thoughts ???
Nation.A.List is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 03:59 PM   #10
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Wow... I really love this TXT reading application called KingReader. Its in chinese but it is so easy to use. Tap screen once for full screen. Tap again for normal screen to return. Tap lower right to animate to the next page (just like an iPhone). Tap left to go to previous page. It does a lot more than this too - but I need to experiment since I can't understand the menus. The major weakness is TXT only. Still, it renders TXT files better than any ebook reading software I've loaded into WinCE so far. I might even convert some of my HTML books into TXT just to use this application. I wish it was in english!
Old 07-22-2009, 07:00 PM   #11
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nation.A.List View Post
Coldsun I have found 18 WinCE games for M8 that may work with the Q5/Q7. I have downloaded them all but don't know what to do next. An example of what is in one of the .rar files is as follows;

Folders - Config , dat , save
Files - DeathDrivePPC2003.exe , £DDeathDrivePPC2003.cab , debug.txt , icon.png

Any thoughts ???
Its a good possibility that if it works on the M8 it should work on the Q5/Q7. You might need to modify the CAB file and remove anything about the M8 from the registry portion (delete those keys). I'm guessing from your example files you can just use the CAB file and copy it to your device and click to install it. The EXE file is likely the installer for using ActiveSynch.

Oh and I got the Comic Reader Mobi application working. It has a few little bugs but for the majority part it works beautifully. I like it even more than Comix for Linux. The developer is also very concerned with support and I would say it was $9.99 well spent. I'm going to help him test the little bugs we found and we might have a version just for us Q5/Q7 users!

I really like how the device functions in WinCE. The charger works better - when you plug it in the light turns red and it turns green when fully charged (I don't remember it doing that in Linux). The video performance with the included player is FAR better than the Linux OS. Wireless is tricky to set up since its in chinese, but that should be corrected with the english version. responsiveness is very much improved. Pretty much everything works better. If I'm understanding the chinese forums correctly, a nice version of Andriod is coming for the device as well. Mer is shaping up quite nicely, they continue to improve the standard Linux OS that comes with it by default, and I hear many people are quad-booting the device with Linux, Mer, WinCE, and Android.

The english version of WinCE just can't get here soon enough. Come on SmartDevices - we are counting on you!

Last edited by ColdSun; 07-22-2009 at 07:06 PM.
Old 07-22-2009, 08:08 PM   #12
heron61
Enthusiast
heron61 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipod Touch 3rd gen, SmartQ V7
Quote:
I really like how the device functions in WinCE. The charger works better - when you plug it in the light turns red and it turns green when fully charged (I don't remember it doing that in Linux). The video performance with the included player is FAR better than the Linux OS. Wireless is tricky to set up since its in chinese, but that should be corrected with the english version. responsiveness is very much improved. Pretty much everything works better. If I'm understanding the chinese forums correctly, a nice version of Andriod is coming for the device as well. Mer is shaping up quite nicely, they continue to improve the standard Linux OS that comes with it by default, and I hear many people are quad-booting the device with Linux, Mer, WinCE, and Android.
Very cool! Thanks for the info. Have you gotten any sort of browser (perhaps Internet Explorer Mobile?) working in WinCE? Also, does Windows Media Player (Pocket PC) work?

Last edited by heron61; 07-22-2009 at 08:13 PM.
heron61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:08 PM   #13
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

It comes with IE already (I think 6.0). I haven't tried media player but the SmartQ 7 has TMP player which seems to work pretty good.

Also, the author of Comic Reader Mobi stopped by the forums. https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=529939

Last edited by ColdSun; 07-22-2009 at 09:10 PM.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:27 AM   #14
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Oh and I got the Comic Reader Mobi application working. It has a few little bugs but for the majority part it works beautifully. I like it even more than Comix for Linux. The developer is also very concerned with support and I would say it was $9.99 well spent. I'm going to help him test the little bugs we found and we might have a version just for us Q5/Q7 users!
Can you say what you did? I just downloaded it, installed it, but when I try to start it, it says I should download the latest version...

Edit: I found the LicenceImporter, that worked for me.

Last edited by Sweetpea; 07-23-2009 at 04:13 AM.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 03:24 PM   #15
bjkel
Connoisseur
bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.bjkel shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Nook Color, Kobo, Kindle Voyage, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugusto View Post
AlReader 2 (manually instaled) is working nicely on my Smart Q7 + WinCE 6.0 + translation cab with recycle bin icons bug.
Yay! I've gotten Alreader to work on mine too! It's my favorite ereading program right now. So glad it works. Didn't like FBreader nearly as much.

Though I'm having trouble with the translation cab it wants me to put it somewhere when I run it and I have no clue. It eventually unzipped into favorites, but I don't think it belongs there.

Edit: Ok, duh! Just worked it out goes straight into /Windows. That chinese writing and the keyboard popping up right over it was really throwing me.

Last edited by bjkel; 07-25-2009 at 11:45 AM.
bjkel is offline   Reply With Quote