Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-28-2009, 05:23 PM   #1
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Device: Reader / iPhone / Librie / Kindle
Lightbulb Amazon Giving Back to America Program suggestion

So I've started beating the drum to enhance the accessibility features of the Kindle 2 but I also want to get the drum going for the Kindle 1.

Many of the simple things I've suggested for the Kindle 2 can be back-ported to the Kindle 1.

In addition I think Amazon is perfectly positioned to handle the logistics for a new program I want to kick off here: Giving Back to America.

Amazon could offer up a check box on their Kindle 2 page that notes "We notice you have a Kindle 1 registered to your account. Would you care to participate in the Giving Back to America Program?"

This program would send you a shipping box and return label for your existing Kindle 1. You'd pack it up and give it to a handy UPS drop box or carrier and it would be transported back to Amazon. They would inspect the unit and upgrade its firmware to the latest disabled accessibility levels. The units would then be made available as donations to various agencies that could distribute the units to needful disabled users (whom could still somehow afford content).

Once the donation was made the original owner would get a certificate by mail in the name of the accepting organization. Said certificate could be framed and/or photocopied for the IRS.

This program could eventually expand to include the ability to donate brand new Kindle 2's or simply to donate unwanted/unneeded Kindle's.

In the future the program could of course then expand to allow donations of other helpful assistive technology devices. People often don't realize just how helpful a simple digital camera can be to a person with reduced vision. That old MP3 player could find new life playing audio books for someone in need or for a disabled senior to enjoy music in their final years.
scotty1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:36 PM   #2
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
You may want to expand this idea to include more Readers besides the Kindle. Here's why, say Kindle sales were really 500,000. Not all 500,000 of those buyers have upgraded to Kindle 2 and want to get rid of Kindle 1. Some have sold K1 in order to buy K2. Some have passed K1 on to family members.

I don't think there is going to be a large enough number of K1's to get the program going (of course it couldn't hurt to try ). Since Kindle is not the only reader sold by Amazon, you may want to expand.

I appreciate your thinking process. I've seen a few of these types of posts on the Amazon forums designed to benefit different groups (soldiers overseas, schools, seniors...). Good luck!
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
"Peoples Republic of Washington"

Care to elucidate?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
scotty1024
Banned
scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.scotty1024 is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
You may want to expand this idea to include more Readers besides the Kindle. Here's why, say Kindle sales were really 500,000. Not all 500,000 of those buyers have upgraded to Kindle 2 and want to get rid of Kindle 1. Some have sold K1 in order to buy K2. Some have passed K1 on to family members.
Amazon can really only handle refurb-ing their own devices at this point. If Sony wanted to step up and work with them that would be great. But as I already noted: I do see the program being capable of being extended to other technologies.

If people were offered the choice of donating their Kindle 1 to someone needing the unit to improve their quality of life or giving it to a family member/friend I think you might be surprised how many people would step up.

As for your comment about other groups: my point here is that Amazon has the logistical muscle to make this work. Just like they handle fulfillment for other merchants they could in become the major force in handling logistics for Giving Back to America.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
"Peoples Republic of Washington"

Care to elucidate?
You just need to have grown up as the son of a black project aerospace engineer and wound up living here and you'll understand the comment perfectly.

By the way, that's Washington State, not Washington DC.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty1024 View Post
You just need to have grown up as the son of a black project aerospace engineer and wound up living here and you'll understand the comment perfectly.

By the way, that's Washington State, not Washington DC.
So.......did the state of Washington secede when I wasn't looking?
Old 02-28-2009, 05:59 PM   #7
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
So.......did the state of Washington secede when I wasn't looking?
Some of us affectionately refer to the event as "Hilarycare". We've been living the wonders of Obama's health care reform ideas since Hilary pushed them last time 'round.

This is also the only State you have to climb through high snowy mountain passes to reach any other State from it's most populous region. During the recent winter flooding people living here were reminded just how tenuous our link with the rest of the States is.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:03 PM   #8
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Some of us affectionately refer to the event as "Hilarycare". We've been living the wonders of Obama's health care reform ideas since Hilary pushed them last time 'round.
Now you have my interest. Tell me how its worked for you.
Old 02-28-2009, 06:10 PM   #9
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
Now you have my interest. Tell me how its worked for you.
Well as tempting as that is to answer I think we're drifting
Old 02-28-2009, 06:11 PM   #10
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Well as tempting as that is to answer I think we're drifting
and your point?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #11
scotty1024
Banned

Quote:
and your point?
With a karma of 14000+ you're expected to lead by example not by temptation?
Old 02-28-2009, 06:32 PM   #12
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
With a karma of 14000+ you're expected to lead by example not by temptation?
Oh. Sorry. I have 'issues'.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:27 PM   #13
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
I'm in the same Republic and have no idea what he is talking about. There is no Hitlary care here.
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote