Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #166
auraborealis
auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Aura
I probably should have posted this here, instead of the thread below:

Patches to improve PDF viewer experience
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=240520

..or at least under Kobo Developer's Corner.

Sorry, I'm new here!
auraborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:11 AM   #167
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by auraborealis View Post
Hmm, I don't know. Since I sideload everything with calibre, I don't think I've even used the kepub reader. Is it as simple as renaming the extension from .epub to .epub.kepub?
Yes and no. Renaming will trigger the use of the kepub reader, but there are problems with bookmarks and the reading position. The solution is in https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=211135 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=220565.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:56 PM   #168
erikssenmar867
Connoisseur
erikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Wow! I think it would be wonderful to have a patch that improves PDF reading... Could someone of you try to create it also for other firmwares? (3.20, 3.3.0, 3.4.1)?
erikssenmar867 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 09:15 AM   #169
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikssenmar867 View Post
Wow! I think it would be wonderful to have a patch that improves PDF reading... Could someone of you try to create it also for other firmwares? (3.20, 3.3.0, 3.4.1)?
+1

Maybe I'd start using the Kobo firmware instead of Koreader. Close to half of what I read is in the PDF format.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 01:52 PM   #170
auraborealis
auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'auraborealis knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMcLaren View Post
+1

Maybe I'd start using the Kobo firmware instead of Koreader. Close to half of what I read is in the PDF format.
Have either of you tried the patch I posted above?

I don't have a lot of spare time to spend creating and maintaining a separate version of these patches for every firmware release, but if there is enough interest in a specific version I could potentially take a look at it.
auraborealis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 02:00 PM   #171
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Quote:

I don't have a lot of spare time to spend creating and maintaining a separate version of these patches for every firmware release, but if there is enough interest in a specific version I could potentially take a look at it.
I'm running 3.3.0 on an Aura HD and would definitely love to have this patch. Might finally make pdf reading an option...
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 03:53 PM   #172
erikssenmar867
Connoisseur
erikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of lighterikssenmar867 is a glorious beacon of light

I tried the patch of PDF in an aura HD of a friend of mine (I have used the libadobe.so taken from 3.3.1 fw of Aura HD model) and it works perfectly...
I hope in the future, with the release of new firmwares, you will work on this patch for every model
Thanks a lot! We needed this function
Old 06-06-2014, 11:13 PM   #173
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
I've updated patch_kobo_34.zip in post #1 to include auraborealis' PDF reader and disable pinch-to-zoom patches for 3.3.0, 3.3.1, and 3.4.1, and to update the Linux/Mac shell scripts to allow for patching libadobe.so.

I've made a small change to one of the PDF patches to make it easier to update to new firmware versions, but it should function in exactly the same way.

If someone could test the `Disable pinch-to-zoom in ePub reader` patch, does it work in the kepub reader too? And if so, does it just disable the font resizing by pinch, or does it affect image zooming too?

Last edited by GeoffR; 06-06-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 09:27 AM   #174
erikssenmar867
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I've updated patch_kobo_34.zip in post #1 to include auraborealis' PDF reader and disable pinch-to-zoom patches for 3.3.0, 3.3.1, and 3.4.1, and to update the Linux/Mac shell scripts to allow for patching libadobe.so.

I've made a small change to one of the PDF patches to make it easier to update to new firmware versions, but it should function in exactly the same way.

If someone could test the `Disable pinch-to-zoom in ePub reader` patch, does it work in the kepub reader too? And if so, does it just disable the font resizing by pinch, or does it affect image zooming too?

Hi GeoffR, i tried to do what you asked for... In sideloaded kepubs this patch disables font resizing by pinch to zoom (in the same way of epubs), and not disables image zooming .
So i think we can say that it works perfectly for kepubs.

P.S.: i tried with a kobo Aura HD 3.3.1
Old 06-08-2014, 12:07 AM   #175
JimMcLaren
Addict
JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimMcLaren ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox T68, Kobo Aura HD, Pocketbook 302, Pocketbook 912, Nook HD+
Quote:
I did install the patch. I have 3.3.0 on an Aura HD. It works just like you said. After using it I think I'll stick to the Koreader. It has a little better zoom and in landscape with scroll mode turned on it works great. Thanks for your help in this.
JimMcLaren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 06:14 PM   #176
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Power Off Patch?

Is it possible to write a patch that provides longer values for the power off feature? Right now, the longest value is 60 minutes. It would be nice to 24 hours, 48 hours in addition to the stock values.

93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 08:44 PM   #177
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
You don't need a patch. The selected value is written into the config file. You can edit it and change it to other values.

Set the value to something other than "Never", connect to the PC and open the "Kobo eReader.conf" file in an editor. Make sure you use a Unix line-end aware editor. Look for the line with "AutoOffMinutes" and change the value. This is a time in minutes. I don't know what the maximum value is, but I have true 120 minutes and it worked. I am pretty sure others have reported using longer times.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 10:14 PM   #178
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
You don't need a patch. The selected value is written into the config file. You can edit it and change it to other values.

Set the value to something other than "Never", connect to the PC and open the "Kobo eReader.conf" file in an editor. Make sure you use a Unix line-end aware editor. Look for the line with "AutoOffMinutes" and change the value. This is a time in minutes. I don't know what the maximum value is, but I have true 120 minutes and it worked. I am pretty sure others have reported using longer times.
That's right, I totally forgot about being able to make this change in the .conf file. Thanks Davidfor!
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:47 PM   #179
bearymore
Zealot
bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'bearymore can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've found that the page breaks bug fix has an odd effect on the dictionary pop-up on my Aura HD with 3.3.0. If I use the first string, the dictionary pop-up will skip even numbered pages on a multiple page definition - i.e. if you have a 4 page definition you can go from page 1 to 3, but you cannot go to pages 2 or 4. On a two page definition you cannot go to page 2. The alternate string will allow the pop up to go to all pages. However, if you swipe forward when you are on page 4, you will go to page 2, skipping page 1. Swiping backwards works fine, and swiping forward from all but the last page also works fine.
However, if you have an odd number of pages in the definition, swiping in either direction is unpredictable -- you can get to all the pages, but not in order.

Odd.
bearymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #180
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
Why do you think the weird behaviour of the dictionary is connected to the page breaks bug fix? I have that patch installed on my Aura HD and haven't seen any of that weirdness with my dictionary.
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote