Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 12-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #106
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindles, Pixels, iPads
Complete backup?
rupor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #107
denneke
denneke began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T2
Yes, just received it. Made my self a guide in my own language and already collected all the required files.

Going to perform it now, wish me luck!

Fingers crossed!
denneke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 12:08 PM   #108
denneke

lol, i can jailbreak an iphone, ipad or what so ever. No problem.

But a sony ereader? What the hell.. cant even get it in recovery mode.

I managed to get it in a state of 'updating', where after i have to do a hard reset.

I am also confused which files i must place on the sd.

I used the files in: http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23354

I used files i downloaded yesterday in this folder: restore-set-1.0.04.11081-eu

I have an eu model, updated to last fw..

Help is appreciated, what should i see when its in recovery mode?

I dont see all the partitions in my disk manager.. Only the 1,35 and a 10mb setup and my SD

EDIT: I think i partially have something like recovery mode, when i press menu + home and power. Keep holding menu + home until opening book bar is almost full. I release buttons. and the opening book bar turns white (not loaded) for a few seconds. Screen flashes a few times, and opening book starts loading. Then i get the message if i want to connect to pc or not.

EDIT 2: May i place the files on the sd while sd is in reader? Then shut down reader and reboot via recovery mode?

Dont have sd card reader.

EDIT 3: I am trying to do it on a windows 7 machine bootcamp (on a macbook air) Is this a problem?

Last edited by denneke; 12-11-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:20 PM   #109
rupor
meat popsicle
rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!rupor rocks like Gibraltar!

Restore set does not do anything useful unless you are in troubles - it restores your device if you have problems into state very close to original clean one. Not sure why are you using it? And you have to make sure that version you are using and firmware version on your device are matching exactly!

For backup/rescue you need to get one from here - http://www.the-ebook.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=25373 This is a link.

You put it on SD card - not on READER disk which is internal memory. You do not need card reader - device is a card reader of sort, you could use it instead.

You need to learn how to get into recovery mode by using HOME+MENU buttons, this is important and I am always having troubles with it myself. There are a lot of instructions on this forum, in WiKi and on the WEB.

I have no idea about bootcamp...
Old 12-11-2012, 04:55 PM   #110
denneke

Yeah in the beginning i think i used the wrong files (restore file). Last couple of times i am using the files from the link you gave, but wit no success.

So i think it is problem with not getting it in recovery mode. I know to press home + menu. But what do i see when it is in recovery mode? When do i know when i succesfully did it? Or only when i see that disk in disk manager with all of those partitions?
Old 12-11-2012, 05:00 PM   #111
denneke

This just isnt believeable.. Earlier today tried at least 3 hours with no succces. Just returned home, posted preview post, tried it. Instantly working, is making backup as we speak.

EDIT: Everything else was piece of cake, got my PRS-T2 rooted

Now searching for apps to install, which i should definitely have? And how to do it.

Last edited by denneke; 12-11-2012 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-11-2012, 06:55 PM   #112
rupor
meat popsicle

If by rooting you mean installing jailbreak - this is not enough.

It should be followed by installing AMR from here (or other such package). After that you could use Total Commander to click on your APK files and usual Android installation dialog will be presented.

There is also a number of options on above mentioned page to increase the size of your /data partition (device comes with very small area for installing applications), installing full set of dictionaries, making move to SD card functionality available (Apps2SD), e.t.c. Those are optional.
Old 12-12-2012, 07:17 AM   #113
denneke

Oh yes, i already did those. Thought it was rooted as soon as i did AMR. But got an extra menu option 'launcher'. In that menu indeed is total commander and some other options.

I thought as soon as i managed to get AMR, i would be asked for the reader or the android startscreen as soon ad i turned the reader on?
Old 12-12-2012, 07:30 AM   #114
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
denneke
There is a reason why AMR is called this way: Absolutely minimal root

It was never, and will never be rupors intention to render our T1/T2 into full flagged Android-Tablets!
But to allow an improved reading experience.

(@Rupor: Hope you don't mind me jumping in)

Last edited by Mark Nord; 12-12-2012 at 07:31 AM. Reason: typo
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #115
denneke

Yes, just figured that out. Is there any guide for installing apps this way? Other readers, dropbox etc.

I actually like this minimal root, but would like to install apps though. I am not familiar with android at all..
Old 12-12-2012, 07:49 AM   #116
Mark Nord
2B || !2B
Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Mark Nord can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS505/650/T1/tolino vision 5
But no doubt your are a very brave or very wealthy man, who can spare a brand new PRS-T2.

What's not clear with rupors advice?
Quote:
After that you could use Total Commander to click on your APK files and usual Android installation dialog will be presented.
Get the APK file, copy it to the readers IM or SD-Card, navigate there with Total Commander, click, .....
Mark Nord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 07:52 AM   #117
denneke

Ahh APK = Android Application Packet..

Got to go now, be back in a hour, go play some again.. (A)

I find most information regarding hacking the PRS is very unclear.. trying a lot and asking questions together gives clarification. But for a newby to ereaders and android it is a pain in the ass :P

Ask me anything about jailbreaking iOS, no problem.. haha a man got to learn
Old 12-12-2012, 11:31 AM   #118
denneke

When i try to install the apk file it gives me an error: Parse error: There is a problem parsing the package.

What does this mean? Got it with all the apk files via total commander.

EDIT: Never mind, strange enough it gives me two files. One installs, the other gives me the error.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:16 AM   #119
Kijac
Connoisseur
Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.Kijac is no ebook tyro.

Device: Sony PRS-600, Sony PRS-950
Okay, please, what can I do to root my Sony PRS-T2 and to have an file explorer on the reader? I'm from germany, maybe in german . Thanks!
Kijac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 06:11 AM   #120
denneke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kijac View Post
Okay, please, what can I do to root my Sony PRS-T2 and to have an file explorer on the reader? I'm from germany, maybe in german . Thanks!
Follow this guide: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...4&postcount=87

Required files are in the last couple pages and links to the russia website The-Ebook. Use google translate.

The guide for PRS-T1 is same for PRS-T2