Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 07-28-2010, 12:34 AM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
MicroSD card for the nook - watch out!

OK, the Nook specs said it can hold MicroSD card upto 16GB but I heard people saying the nook can recognize a 32GB card without an issue. To attest, I bought my 32GB from eBay also and the Nook recognized all 32GB and I was about to be wild until I saw some threads regarding fake capacity MicroSD selling on eBay. And I ran some test and it turned out that my "32GB" card is only 2GB - it is deliberately hacked to show 32GB on my PC, and it took me several hours to copy about 28GB files to the card, the files uploaded were initially showing OK, but once you try to retrieve ALL the 28GB files uploaded, you will immediately notice many files (beyond its true capacity) are turning into 0byte entries, then I found I only have about 2GB - well, I paid only $25 so it was not that costly a lesson to learn - just wondering if any of you have tested your 32GB card by any chance, hope you didn't encounter such blatant spam.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
Atomix
Enthusiast
Atomix began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
You must ask for a refund to ebay, they always go after the seller, if you write a proper complaint
Atomix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 11:33 AM   #3
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
common case if you bought from eBay and the store is from China. On my last trip to shanghai visiting my family 3 years ago, they already selling 32GB usb while the 8GB is just out in the market.

Ask refund or open case with ebay, if you're paying with paypal you're under $20 buyer protection.

one little suggestion: next time see the seller reputation, pay attention on the neutral and negative feedback and see any buyer who bought similar/same item as the one you want to buy, if none then go to first 200 positive feedback, look for the same criteria then ask them their experience with the product.

cheers
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by jankrix View Post
one little suggestion: next time see the seller reputation,
I did check the seller reputation for this one (99.8%) first and all the people responded for the same product rated him high (too bad eBay does not allow you to modify your rating and now I start to see some people putting followup comments about the same fake card). The issue is this is a deliberate hack to fool the system and the nook to think it has the advertised capacity, so most ppl will be easily fooled - I am a computer programmer myself and still could not tell it's a fake immediately and left him a positive feedback. Most buyers will just quick test a couple of files and verify on PC and Nook and see the advertized capacity and that's about it. It was until I got an email from some victims that I started to look at mine. This is blatant fraudulent, I will be more careful next time.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 08:41 PM   #5
jankrix
Enthusiast
jankrix began at the beginning.

Device: [Original] Nook
maybe it's not just your luck my friend even if you're a programmer (I also am ) there's no way you can detect it immediately unless you're really a cautious person and not being a cautious is not a crime just make a complain with paypal, sometimes the seller just don't care.

The problem is if the seller ask you to send it back there's just too much problem:
1. shipping (lost and damage) problem
2. the seller try to lure the time (I did, now I have 6 month unresolve case for +$100 item, it's too late to complain to paypal or ebay as I have no longer the receipt of shipping back to china, etc.)

if the seller is an honest ppl, that'll be fine...but it's rare lol
jankrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert