Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-10-2005, 10:14 AM   #1
Colin Dunstan
Is papyrophobic!
Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Colin Dunstan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Dell Axim
Internet Explorer 7 will have tabs - will Firefox users switch back?

Paul Thurrott reveals that Internet Explorer 7 will have the much loved tabs feature. Since it appears that the Firefox developer team is in some kind of trouble right now (only one developer is still active), I wonder if this is the chance for Microsoft to fight back.
Colin Dunstan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 09:03 PM   #2
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Device: Palm Tungsten T|T3
Does more tabs equal more ways to get spyware?

I recently started using the Giant/M$ antispyware beta, and I have to say -- it's really great. I can't believe the number of keys it finds on my system. But then again, it strikes me as ironic that I usually have a larger accumulation of spyware on my machine when I'm forced to use IE (ie, lack of FF plug-ins or low stability for apps like Acrobat, etc). Ahhh, the trade-off....

Then of course there's the big conspiracy question about whether those keys are planted.
sUnShInE is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-11-2005, 01:40 AM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
I don't think users will switch back, for quite a few reasons:
  1. The sheer number of secure extensions available for Firefox and Mozilla blows away anything Microsoft could even dream to provide for MSIE.
  2. Firefox is significantly more secure with form data, cookies, passwords (Mozilla is even moreso), and offers a LOT more granular control over the overall browsing experience.
  3. Themes, themes, themes. Windows users are used to eye-candy.
  4. Bookmarks can be browsed like any other webpage, because, well, it is a webpage. Favorites with MSIE is just a mess, and it doesn't scale well at all.
  5. With the new FF1.1 and Mozilla currently sitting in CVS, you can have per-site CSS overrides, which I've been asking for, for over 2 years now.
  6. Websites look better in Firefox, because they render properly, including those which trigger quirks mode. MSIE still has some bass-ackwards interpretation of the standards, and as usual for Microsoft, gets them wrong anyway.
  7. Migrating from Firefox on Windows, to Firefox on OSX or Linux or FreeBSD, is a 0-height learning curve. The same bookmarks exist and will continue to work. The interface, extensions, and other components are the same. You don't have to "relearn" how to use the browser, or configure it differently, when you move from platform to platform.
  8. Firefox doesn't use ActiveX, so the number of possible entry points for inserting spyware and malware is significantly reduced (reducing support calls and costs, as well)
  9. And last-but-not-least, you get the full source code, so you can see exactly what the browser is doing. No guesswork needed.
But, only the market will decide. Microsoft has lost the browser war, despite their dominance with it being the only icon-by-default on their OS.
hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 04:22 PM   #4
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sUnShInE
Does more tabs equal more ways to get spyware?

I recently started using the Giant/M$ antispyware beta, and I have to say -- it's really great. I can't believe the number of keys it finds on my system. But then again, it strikes me as ironic that I usually have a larger accumulation of spyware on my machine when I'm forced to use IE (ie, lack of FF plug-ins or low stability for apps like Acrobat, etc). Ahhh, the trade-off....

Then of course there's the big conspiracy question about whether those keys are planted.
Sunshine, here are some thoughts about MS antispyware:
http://www.joelonsoftware.com/items/2005/02/17.html
Also, before MS offered this program, I used (and still do) Ad-Aware. Well, as you point out, every time I have to use IE I get a lot of spyware, mainly in the form of tracking cookies, which are not being cleared by MS anti-spyware! Only AdAware detects them.
Btw, Adaware is free for personal use:
http://www.lavasoftusa.com/software/adaware/
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 06:02 PM   #5
sUnShInE
Drama Queen
sUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to beholdsUnShInE is a marvel to behold

Yea, before Giant, I was using AA6. I'm really surprised at the number of *keys* that Giant is able to find that AA doesn't.

Thanks for the tips
Advert
Old 03-11-2005, 08:38 PM   #6
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I'm really surprised at the number of *keys* that Giant is able to find that AA doesn't.
I've heard about that, am I the only one experiencing the opposite?
(hey, we're hijacking the thread, LOL!)
Old 03-12-2005, 09:46 AM   #7
sUnShInE
Drama Queen

Oh yea, wasn't this about new IE tab browsing? hehe

The point is still valid though: IE sucks.

Regardless, I have FF at home and use Netscape 7.2 at work. I've found FF fairly unstable, but it may be because I have a (color: red) 1.6Ghz at home. My work machine is a 3.8Ghz, and I tried the new Netscape8 beta, but it is horrendous. I couldn't even get past the splash screen.
Old 03-12-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Francesco
Aficionado

Quote:
I've found FF fairly unstable...
Is that so? I'm totally satisfied with it. OTO, I'm giving Mozilla Thunderbird a try, but I'm seriously thinking going back to Outlook.

And about tabs in IE7, I think this had to be totally expected. After all, it was FF success what prompted MS to deliver IE7 earlier.
Old 03-12-2005, 06:18 PM   #9
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
I think people switch to Firefox not because of the tabs, but because of the speed, security, and the fact that it's becoming more popular.

Remember, in relation to computers, many people are sheep.

Personally, I only use IE to either download Firefox () or if I'm on a system without anything else.
Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2005, 08:38 AM   #10
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Microsoft Watch has some more details on what to expect with Microsoft's impending release of Internet Explorer 7.0:

Sources say that IE 7.0 - which is code-named "Rincon," they hear - will be a tabbed browser.

IE 7.0 will feature international domain name (IDN) support; transparent Portable Network Graphics (PNG) support, which will allow for the display of overlayed images in the browser; and new functionality that will simplify printing from inside IE 7.0, partner sources said. The new browser also will likely include a built-in news aggregator.
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote