Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-15-2008, 06:59 PM   #1
DoctorYof
DoctorYof began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Calibre + GutenTorrent = Slow

Not a complaint or request for help - simply some information.

Having downloaded the 'GutenTorrent' collection and added this to my Calibre library, the program is now handling 12,000+ books.

(This is on a E6600 2.4 GHz Core2Duo machine with 2GB ram running under Vista Ultimate 32-bit and Calibre 0.4.83).

1) Most importantly the program works as intended without any apparent tendency to fall over!

2) Startup without connection to the reader takes a little over 4 1/2 minutes from launch to showing the book list.

3) Adding a new ebook to the library (lrf format, normal novel size) takes ~90 seconds.

4) When adding a book the cursor doesn't change to the 'busy/waiting' cursor (Vista's spinning hoop) until 10 - 15 seconds have elapsed.

5) Searches are fast - e.g. only three or four seconds to pick out 35 books with "oz" in the title or author (including 7 "Oz" books)

6) Reordering the display from 'title' sort to 'author' sort took about 75 seconds.

I now have to decide whether too much choice is too much of a good thing, and if so how best to delete most of my library.

The most obvious issue is start-up. The first couple of times I tried this I (probably wrongly) assumed Calibre had crashed. Now I just read a book while waiting...
DoctorYof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 09:14 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Interesting, I've never really tested or optimized calibre for more than a few hundred books. Can you try the the beta (it has substantial improvements in the database layer) and see if the performance improves?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2008, 03:21 PM   #3
DoctorYof
DoctorYof began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I've now tried using 0.4.84b16.

Startup time now 2 minutes (c.f. 4 1/2 mins with 0.4.83).

Time to add a new book to library ~60 seconds (c.f. 90s)

Searches still fast, resort time unchanged at 75 seconds.

Looks like this version would be usable without drawbacks on a more reasonably sized large library (say a thousand titles or so!).

No other problems with the beta at first experience - no plans to reinstall the stable release yet!
DoctorYof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 05:28 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad to hear it. I'm curious as to why adding books is so slow. Can you open a ticket for it and I'll look into it when I get some time.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote