Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 04:23 AM   #34351
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
Pretty pics, Bianca!!! In my mind I never think Dublin to be so 'green!' But where is Molly?!?

Stitchawl
Thank you. It is and it isn't green. The campus is right next to a park (the first couple of pictures) and some were taken in St. Stephen's Green park. There are pedestrian areas but O'Connoll Street has lots of traffic, however unlike London's Oxford Street it doesn't feel dirty and dusty. The inner city looks very clean and well maintained.

I saw Molly, there were a lot of people surrounding her so I couldn't take a nice picture of her.

Today I'm going to Dublin Castle and either Trinity College or St. Patrick's Cathedral, depending on the weather.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:31 PM   #34352
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Molly Malone? She's kind of cute, but she doesn't smile much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	statue_molly_malone.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	91168   Click image for larger version

Name:	statue-of-molly-malone%5B1%5D.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	91169  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:00 PM   #34353
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Trying to decide what to do on Monday, tomorrow and Saturday I'm going west of the city centre and visit the Kilmainham Gaol and the National Museum Decorative Arts/Collins Barracks. On Sunday, when the weather's nice, I'm going to the Botanical Gardens and Glasnevin Cemetry. However, for Monday I have nothing planned. It's going to rain again and it's also a Bank Holiday which doesn't make it easier (some museums are closed).

Anyone got a suggestion?
Old 08-23-2012, 02:03 PM   #34354
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
About to go off to ballroom dancing class. Samba today. Luckily it's a bit cooler today than it has been.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:29 PM   #34355
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
Trying to decide what to do on Monday, tomorrow and Saturday I'm going west of the city centre and visit the Kilmainham Gaol and the National Museum Decorative Arts/Collins Barracks. On Sunday, when the weather's nice, I'm going to the Botanical Gardens and Glasnevin Cemetry. However, for Monday I have nothing planned. It's going to rain again and it's also a Bank Holiday which doesn't make it easier (some museums are closed).

Anyone got a suggestion?
Find a nifty corner and read a good book with Dublin in it?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 02:55 PM   #34356
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Find a nifty corner and read a good book with Dublin in it?
If it would be nice weather I would (and I will on Sunday either at the Glasnevin Cemetry or the Botanical Gardens). For now I'm planning to go see the movie Shadow Dancer in the morning, after which have lunch and finish the day with some shopping.

I've just uploaded the pictures I took today. That multi-coloured building is Dublin Castle, but the tour was great and I can really recommend it.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:36 PM   #34357
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Today I went to Kilmainham Gaol (photos), another must-see in Dublin and it tied in very well with my visit to Dublin Castle yesterday. I found out that it might have been a better idea to take the bus instead of the Luas (metro) since it was a bit of an downhill and uphill walk in a persistent drizzle from the nearest station. But it was well worth it.

When getting back downtown the drizzle was alternating with heavier rain. My plan to visit the Tall Ships festival didn't sound so nice with this weather so I went back to campus. I stocked up on food and drink because the campus supermarket is closed this weekend and curled up in bed with my Kindle.

Now I'm looking for something yummie I can treat myself to tomorrow...
Old 08-24-2012, 04:28 PM   #34358
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
It sounds like you are having a great vacation. I was curious and just had to look up the Kilmainham Goal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmainham_Gaol
Quote:
There was no segregation of prisoners; men, women and children were incarcerated up to 5 in each cell, with only a single candle for light and heat, most of their time was spent in the cold and the dark. The candle had to last the prisoner for one week. Its cells were roughly 28 meters squared.
I'm doing nothing and enjoying it immensely. No must do anything today and I plan on sitting out on the patio and reading.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 06:06 PM   #34359
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
It sounds like you are having a great vacation. I was curious and just had to look up the Kilmainham Goal.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kilmainham_Gaol
It was very impressive. It was build to replace the old fashioned jails where people were put together in one big room. It was planned that there would only be one prisoner per cell. Mainly because of the potatoe famine put a stop to those plans. They have documents which record what the crimes were. There were several boys imprisoned for stealing 4 loaves of bread. In a way this was smart because being in jail meant a roof over their head (despite the bad conditions and overcrowding) and three meals a day.

I'm now trying to calm down after someone found it funny to loudly knock on my window, just when there was a tense moment in the film I was watching.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:42 PM   #34360
wyndslash
Wizard
wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wyndslash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle Fire
right now i am arguing with my brother over facebook. he believes that samsung copied the iphone by having a white galaxy phone. like, how dare they, right?
wyndslash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 04:22 PM   #34361
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Trying to decide my schedule for tomorrow. I'm going to the National Botanical Gardens and the Glasnevin Cemetery. I'm now figuring out how to fit tours at both into one day.

Today I went to the National Design & History Museum. It being a Saturday and the museum being free I expected it to be very busy. It wasn't, which I didn't mind. The weather was better than I expected; it rained before I went out but until I came back there were only the few odd drops. Because of the nice weather I went to the Tall Ships festival, which was a bit too busy for my liking but I enjoyed it nonetheless.

I also got souvenirs today. For myself a huge Guinness mug (I like huge mugs), a pair of earrings and a bookmark for the p-book I bought yesterday. For my sister I bought a Wacky Woolies mug and for my mother a fuzzy Wacky Woolies fridge magnet. Don't know what to buy for my father, though (he doesn't drink and I don't think he'll appreciate a leprechaun boxershort ).

Talking about leprechauns, I'm thinking of going to the Leprechaun Museum (which seems to be about folklore and legends and not only leprechauns) instead of the movies on Monday.
Old 08-25-2012, 05:57 PM   #34362
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Camping at the Shrewsbury Folk Festival. Arrived yesterday (Friday) and I have to say it's great. I'm not really a huge folk music fan, but I always find live music to be much more engaging than recorded. Just saw a singer from the north of England called Kate Rusbie - excellent voice.

Loads of things for the kids to do; my youngest son seems to have discovered an unsuspected expertise at quarterstaff manipulation at the circus skills tent. Weather hasn't been great, but it's OK. In case you're wondering how I'm posting this; free wi-fi, in a tent, at a music festival (am I showing my age if I seem impressed?)!

Anyway, I recommend it for anybody in the area next year

ETA: The singer's name is actually spelt 'Rusby', and there's loads of her stuff on Youtube in case you're interested.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 08-25-2012 at 06:03 PM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:23 PM   #34363
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I just looked at the Shrewsbury Folk Festival page and checked out the photos for yesterday.
http://www.shrewsburyfolkfestival.co...os/index.shtml

The site showed a lot of things for kids and the Festival is very family friendly.

Even with the rain, everyone looks to be having a great time. Are you all in a tent?
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #34364
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Thanks for the pictures page; I hadn't realised that was there till you linked it. One of the guys on the circus tent asked my permission today to post photos of my son doing the quarterstaff thing today. Maybe it'll turn up there.

Me and my wife and youngest son are in a tent, pitched next to trailer tent belonging to our good friends and their daughter. Our eldest son and their son are in their own tent next to that. I would guess that there's a few hundred tents, trailers and caravans, plus many day visitors who must be local. It really is very family oriented - great for us.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 05:06 AM   #34365
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Camping at the Shrewsbury Folk Festival. Arrived yesterday (Friday) and I have to say it's great. I'm not really a huge folk music fan, but I always find live music to be much more engaging than recorded.
Sounds like a great festival! I've got the livestream on now and I agree with you about live music vs. recorded.

I've decided to take it easy today. I'm going to the Botanical Gardens, do the tour and afterwards find a nice and sunny place to read.

Tags
android, banana bread - yummy, bread machines, drunk college student, duck!, hooters, how to make apple butter, how to make cream soda, invasion of privacy, liquid eyeliner, plockhoy, spice trade, thread that never ends, unutterable silliness, wait, what?