Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-21-2011, 04:25 PM   #1
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Screen Brightness

As I mentioned in another thread, the new update no longer lets me reduce the screen brightness as much as I would like. I've seen a couple of apps mentioned here that will supposedly do that, JuiceDefender and ScreenFilter.

Which one of these is the best and free? When I tried to download ScreenFilter I was told I should sign into my Google account, which I did. Then it told me I couldn't install it because I didn't have an Android PHONE registered to me! Where can I download either of these for the Vox?
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:00 PM   #2
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Okay, I did find JuiceDefender on GetJar and downloaded it. When I installed it in default mode, I saw no difference in screen brightness and frankly, in any other mode it has too many bells and whistles I don't need. I could not find anywhere I could download ScreenFilter to the Kobo, only sites that would install it on a phone. But I did download Screen Filter (1.2).apk on my computer and put it on a microSD card. Now, hod do I install it on the Vox once I plug the microSD card in or get it over to the Vox download directory?
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
The screenfilter I found through Getjar, but I had to download onto my computer then transfer over to my vox via dropbox, or whatever method you prefer.

I'd link you but on my cellphone.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
Does this mean you don't use DropBox? I went to using that it seems easier.
I found the same 1.2 I really like the amount of filter it gives. There is no control to it though just on and off but I think it is at the right level for a dark room use.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
Okay, I did find JuiceDefender on GetJar and downloaded it. When I installed it in default mode, I saw no difference in screen brightness and frankly, in any other mode it has too many bells and whistles I don't need. I could not find anywhere I could download ScreenFilter to the Kobo, only sites that would install it on a phone. But I did download Screen Filter (1.2).apk on my computer and put it on a microSD card. Now, hod do I install it on the Vox once I plug the microSD card in or get it over to the Vox download directory?
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 10:22 PM   #5
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
Does this mean you don't use DropBox? I went to using that it seems easier.
I found the same 1.2 I really like the amount of filter it gives. There is no control to it though just on and off but I think it is at the right level for a dark room use.
I just started watching the Dropbox promo video and then decided to email it to myself and open the email on the Vox. Worked and installed just fine. If in the future I need to get more files to the Vox, I'll get set up with Dropbox.

I'm just disappointed that the new update bumped up the minimum brightness on the Vox. Last night I did try reading a book in Night Mode and it actually wasn't as hard on the eyes as I'd feared. Now Screen Filter makes it even easier on the eyes. But some people just don't like reading white text on a black background.
Advert
Old 12-21-2011, 11:18 PM   #6
hieronymos
Groupie
hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.hieronymos is that somebody.

juicedefender beta is available on it's website
latedroid.com/latestdev
but I believe you need the license for the brightness controls (Amazon or Google)
brightness goes much lower with juicedefender.
hieronymos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 04:52 PM   #7
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

setup only takes a sec and becomes so convenient after that. The free ver only allows 2gig so I just remove items from the folder to keep it low.

I have trouble with the night mode. I find it hurts my eyes but I have not tried it with screenfilter on yet. I will see what that is like.
I can see in the dark so any amount of light on a screen is bright

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
I just started watching the Dropbox promo video and then decided to email it to myself and open the email on the Vox. Worked and installed just fine. If in the future I need to get more files to the Vox, I'll get set up with Dropbox.

I'm just disappointed that the new update bumped up the minimum brightness on the Vox. Last night I did try reading a book in Night Mode and it actually wasn't as hard on the eyes as I'd feared. Now Screen Filter makes it even easier on the eyes. But some people just don't like reading white text on a black background.
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #8
oldyellr
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
I have trouble with the night mode. I find it hurts my eyes but I have not tried it with screenfilter on yet. I will see what that is like.
I find the night mode with screenfilter is less harsh. Essentially, the filter lowers the contrast, since it can't make the black background any darker. At this level, I see a little "bleeding" of light around the edges of the black, which isn't noticeable when the text is brighter.