Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-03-2010, 12:35 PM   #1
bmf
bmf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Kindle 3.0.1 firmware and usbNetwork

Hi

apologies if these are silly questions. I've read this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97745

but I'm left unsure where people are at with this.

I'm on firmware 3.0.1, uk 3g version. ~exec ls gives no output. I figure this is because I didn't get a version where the testing wasn't wiped correctly.

I'm after getting sshd up and running. Is the only known way to achieve this to install usbnet by spoofing an amazon update?

How many people are using this? Anyone successfully run this against uk 3g 3.0.1?

Also I'm trying this against windows XP. Prior to any update should I be able to get ethernet working over the USB cable? When I use:

;debugOn
~usbNetwork

Then plug back in my usb cable I don't see any additional network adapters etc.

I have a linux box running in my loft but I'd rather do this from my windows laptop if I can, but if not I'll get up that ladder....

thanks.
bmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 01:21 PM   #2
mubertmumphrey
mubertmumphrey began at the beginning.

You have to install the jailbreak before you can telnet or ssh into your Kindle. ;debugOn works, but ~usbNetwork will do nothing until the jailbreak is run. I can't recall if at that point you can at least telnet in, or if the usbnet install is necessary. But if you're going to install the jailbreak, at that point you might as well run the usbnet update anyway.
mubertmumphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
bmf

hi

ok thanks. I'm working through this thread:

http://www.kindleboards.com/index.ph...;topic=33973.0

and thinking that:

1. If I jailbreak it includes an sshd so usbnet isn't required as I can just telnet / ssh straight in
2. lots of people have used this update

One more question - if something bad happens - lets say I apply the update then do something silly that causes the boot to fail after a reset - is there a factory default fs image that I can fall back on via a factory reset (which IIRC is 30 second power switch)? Or is it possible to brick this thing? I'm assuming the latter....

Also I'm a bit confused on what this hack relies upon. It seems the --ex switch is no longer used in kindle_update_tool.py so instead it simply overwrites /mnt/us/usbnet/bin/usbnetwork with the custom script in /test/bin/usbnetwork. So the tricky bit is in signing the files and bunde? Forgive me - I'm learning python and although it reads quite well and kindle_update_tool is well commented I may have misinterpreted this.
Old 10-03-2010, 02:41 PM   #4
bmf

rather than "overwrites" I should have said symlinks
Old 10-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
You must first install the jailbreak. This permits you to install packages that aren't signed by Amazon. Then you must install the usbnetwork package. The jailbreak doesn't contain an sshd server, or anything else, to my knowledge.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Yep, the usbnet (+ sshd & stuff) is a dedicated package, it doesn't have anything to do with the jailbreak (other than needing your device to be jailbroken to install it).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:04 AM   #7
bmf

Ok got it. Hadn't found this link to the jailbreak:

http://www.kindleminds.net/2010/09/1...now-available/

Now I see how the symlink is used to place the key. Ah - this package is signed. Was this obtained by someone physically hacking the device or from the person who had the test pack still installed?

This is all interesting stuff btw. Many thanks for this.

ps I like your shell scripting style. Very readable!
Old 10-04-2010, 12:52 PM   #8
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, the jailbreak package isn't really signed . [The K3 one isn't signed at all, and the one for FW 2.x is half-signed, using an untouched bundle file & install script from a minor official update].

The custom packages are signed, with the key provided in the python packer.

And thanks . I think I might approach the critical point where there's more comment than actual 'code', but still .
Old 10-04-2010, 03:56 PM   #9
bmf

Ok - so if it's not signed how come just dropping it into the root directory and clicking update is accepted? Did they just not put any security checks on the update functionality? Or is it that an update run from this directory is only applied to a filesystem and the tar symlink breaks out to root?

Is it really just a case of marking the files as executable sees them run with access all areas?

Hope you don't mind me asking I'm just curious about this because, well - it's interesting :-)
Old 10-04-2010, 04:47 PM   #10
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Check the few threads where we discussed this, but basically, it's a pretty nice flaw in the update process, which was actually fixed in a K2 firmware update .

Because otherwise, it is indeed a bit more robust than that .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 10-04-2010 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #11
bmf

Hi - ok I will scratch around again. I'm surprised nobody has documented this with a full explanation on a static web page. Most of the posts here are incomplete and so are the blogs I've found off this site. It would be a shame for this data to remain unseen by many who might use it to make further inroads into the kindle, given all the good work you and others have put in.

Please don't take this as a snipe because as I say the work done is great and also your code is well documented.
Old 10-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #12
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
K3 exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf View Post
I'm on firmware 3.0.1, uk 3g version. ~exec ls gives no output.
Same problem here. Does anyone know another way to run commands directly from the k3?
Polvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:55 PM   #13
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf View Post
Hi - ok I will scratch around again. I'm surprised nobody has documented this with a full explanation on a static web page. Most of the posts here are incomplete and so are the blogs I've found off this site. It would be a shame for this data to remain unseen by many who might use it to make further inroads into the kindle, given all the good work you and others have put in.
If anybody really needs to know the precise process that the jailbreak update works then they can review the update itself and read the forum posts. It isn't complicated and should be easily understandable to anybody who has reasonable experience with *NIX. Questions are always welcomed here assuming you've put some amount of effort into trying to understand it yourself. No spoonfeeding :P

Once you've installed the jailbreak then you can install any other package you want. No need to reinvent the wheel by making your own variant of the same jailbreak.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #14
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polvo View Post
Same problem here. Does anyone know another way to run commands directly from the k3?
You can try installing the test tools but you'll have to generate an update that does it or do it manually via SSH/USB network. I don't believe I've seen anybody mention that they've reinstalled the test tools onto a Kindle that didn't come with it though.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
I got ~exec working using the test tools from https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...1&postcount=62.

Copied the /test/ebook folder to the Kindles's /test folder and then copied over the missing files from /test/bin and restarted Kindle.
Polvo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle usb network