Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-09-2009, 08:19 PM   #1
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Post PRS-900 manual is online

Linky.
Some new stuff:
1) XS zoom level added
2) remove margins option
3) two-page view
4) two dictionaries on the device, not just one as mentioned on the site; also same four languages and extra keyboard layouts as on PRS-600
5) separate "newspaper viewer" for periodicals (navigate by sections and articles)
6) automatic collections: "Unread books", "Unread Periodicals", "Purchased Books". Still no manual on-device collections creation.
7) protect content from accidental deletion (from the device; it can still be deleted from PC)
8) dictionary can be browsed separately, not only from a book
9) Included: AC charger, soft cover and zippered case (PRSA-ZC9).
10) DRM-protected BBeB books are not supported.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 11:05 AM   #2
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
Linky.
Some new stuff:
. . .
10) DRM-protected BBeB books are not supported.
Do I understand correctly that BBeB books already purchased from the Sony bookstore are not readable on the 900? (I understand that Sony will be replacing those books with ePub versions, but I'm just trying to get a handle on what #10 means.)
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:02 PM   #3
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Well, to read LRX books you need to authorize the device first. And how will you do it with the new store?
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 02:12 PM   #4
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Quote:
Well, to read LRX books you need to authorize the device first. And how will you do it with the new store?
Do you mean, Igorsk, that with the new store devices will not be authorized? I thought the process was going to be the same as before. Obviously, I am .
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
salty-horse
Wizard
salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salty-horse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
2) remove margins option
I wonder if this means hiding the Digital Editions page numbers. The manual doesn't say.
salty-horse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #6
Pets0undz
Pets0undz began at the beginning.

Device: Rocket eBook
Does the "newspaper viewer" mean that we won't be able to side-load periodicals on the PRS-600?

I'd prefer a PRS-900, but there's no trade-in credit for my trusty old PRS-500.
Pets0undz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 04:58 PM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I am loving some of these new features! I wonder if .lrf files will be supported (non-DRM BBeB).
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #8
Andanzas
Out of print
Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andanzas ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500 (recycled), Pocketbook Inkpad X Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Latinandgreek View Post
I am loving some of these new features! I wonder if .lrf files will be supported (non-DRM BBeB).
They are supported, according to the manual.

Quote:
Book
 EPUB file (.epub file extension)
EPUB (OPS version 2.0) supported
 PDF file (.pdf file extension)
PDF version 1.4 or before is supported
 BBeB*1 (.lrf or .lrx file extension, Non-DRM)
 Text file (.txt file extension)
 RTF file (.rtf file extension)
 Word file (.doc or .docx file*2 extension)*3
*1 DRM-protected BBeB books are not supported. Install the latest
version of Reader Library. Go to the “My Account” page in the
Reader Store, then download the EPUB version of the books.
*2 On Macintosh, Reader Library does not support .docx files.
*3 Word files will be automatically converted into RTF files during
transfer to the Reader only if Microsoft Word is installed on your
computer.
Andanzas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:32 PM   #9
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
I would love features 2,6 and 8 for my 600 too. They wouldn't be too difficult to integrate in a future firmware update, would they? Let's hope sony feels gracious enough to do it.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 05:40 PM   #10
tovare
Addict
tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tovare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, Kindle kb Wifi, new Kindle NT, PW2, Kindle Oasis
Here's hoping for a firmware upgrade for PRS-600, especially an automatic list of unread material, I'm currently shuffling "TODO" and "read" tags in calibre
tovare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:05 PM   #11
gregcd
Connoisseur
gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!gregcd rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: prs-t1, prs-650 to sell
Nice to see a user replaceable battery.
gregcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 06:55 AM   #12
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Book
 EPUB file (.epub file extension)
EPUB (OPS version 2.0) supported
 PDF file (.pdf file extension)
PDF version 1.4 or before is supported
 BBeB*1 (.lrf or .lrx file extension, Non-DRM)
 Text file (.txt file extension)
 RTF file (.rtf file extension)
 Word file (.doc or .docx file*2 extension)*3
*1 DRM-protected BBeB books are not supported. Install the latest
version of Reader Library. Go to the “My Account” page in the
Reader Store, then download the EPUB version of the books.
*2 On Macintosh, Reader Library does not support .docx files.
*3 Word files will be automatically converted into RTF files during
transfer to the Reader only if Microsoft Word is installed on your
computer.
Still relying on RTF conversion when Aspose.Words, available for free, supports EPUB generation? For shame.. - No mac support for docx either, surprising!
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 11:11 PM   #13
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Sigh. Touch screen navigation.

I don't think I'm going to be able to live with that.

The fuzzy font, I mean.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
daily edition, prs-900, sony reader