Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 02-04-2013, 11:37 AM   #1
iceman64b
iceman64b began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Stop copying ebooks in Calibre Directory Structure

Hi,

Calibre is great. But is there a way to stop Calibre copying the ebook in is directory structure ? I have many gigabytes (over 15 Gig, barely 10 000 ebooks) of ebooks and I don't want to have it in double (in a directory structure AND in Calibre) !

Is there a way to make calibre "index" the files without copying it ?

Thank you.
iceman64b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
No
This has been covered many times.
What you do with the originals after import, is your choice

You might want to read the other related: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119175 sticky topic
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #3
Wordsworth
Wordsworth began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq rx1950 Pocket PC, Kobo Reader (wifi), Kobo Mini.
Yes I know exactly what you mean. I tried syncing my Kobo with Calibre and the folders were transferred. I deleted them and just copied the epubs to the reader. Not too certain if epubs would have shown in reader library as they were tucked inside authors folders. With Calibre being such a sophisticated app I would be surprised if there wasn't a way round this. I've yet to find it though.
Edit: After reading the thread mentioned by theducks I will comment no further on this subject as public flagellation does not appeal to me.

Last edited by Wordsworth; 02-04-2013 at 12:27 PM. Reason: Afterthought
Wordsworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
Yes I know exactly what you mean. I tried syncing my Kobo with Calibre and the folders were transferred. I deleted them and just copied the epubs to the reader. Not too certain if epubs would have shown in reader library as they were tucked inside authors folders. With Calibre being such a sophisticated app I would be surprised if there wasn't a way round this. I've yet to find it though.
You are talking about two different things: how calibre stores books in its library, and how books are put in the reader. The former is fixed. But, the latter is not. You can configure the directory structure and file name when they books are transferred to the device. This is done on the device driver configuration in the "Save template" field. The default is to use the author name as a directory and the title and author name for the file name. The Kobo devices are happy with this and allow multiple levels of subdirectories.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 08:33 PM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wordsworth View Post
I tried syncing my Kobo with Calibre and the folders were transferred. I deleted them and just copied the epubs to the reader. Not too certain if epubs would have shown in reader library as they were tucked inside authors folders. With Calibre being such a sophisticated app I would be surprised if there wasn't a way round this. I've yet to find it though.
Unlike what the OP asked about, what you are experiencing is controllable via the Send to device template or by configuring the device when it is connected and unchecking use sub-directories.

If you can't sort it out open a new thread in the devices subforum.

Update: 8 hours after the post and davidfor sweeps in underneath me.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 02-04-2013 at 08:36 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:04 PM   #6
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
5 points for Davidfor!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:49 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Unlike what the OP asked about, what you are experiencing is controllable via the Send to device template or by configuring the device when it is connected and unchecking use sub-directories.

If you can't sort it out open a new thread in the devices subforum.

Update: 8 hours after the post and davidfor sweeps in underneath me.
Actually, that thread I think may have been started by me.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:09 PM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, that thread I think may have been started by me.
"That thread" is this thread and you just arrived so I think you may be confused, I know I'm confused about your assertion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
5 points for Davidfor!
Make that 10 points!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:42 AM   #9
Wordsworth
Wordsworth began at the beginning.

Device: Ipaq rx1950 Pocket PC, Kobo Reader (wifi), Kobo Mini.
Well that explains it all nicely for me. Sorry to be such a PITA by chipping in about a subject that's been covered before. Thank you all for your comments, and patience...
Now where's that Kobo..........
Wordsworth is offline   Reply With Quote