Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Replacing font - where it affects?

I wish to have Thai font on my rooted Nook.

If I am not wrong, there is still no solution to replace or add fonts which are used for displaying book content. But we can replace Helvetica font which is now being used for displaying book catalog.

Apart from the book catalog, what other places in my Nook that use the Helvetica?

These are places in Nook that I want it to display Thai correctly:
1. Book catalog (My Book, or My Library)
2. Webpages rendered by Nookbrowser
3. Atom/Rss feeds retrieved by Trook

If I replace Helvetica font with the Thai font set, will the above pages use my new font?

Thanks in advance for your advice.
bthoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
bthoven
Evangelist
bthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enoughbthoven will become famous soon enough

Last night I follow the instruction of replacing Helvetica fonts from the web site:

http://nookdevs.com/Font_Changes

What I did are:

1. copy Nook font from system/fonts/ folder to my PC
2. rename all five Helveticaxxxxx fonts to _Helveticaxxxxx, except Helvetica_medium and Helvetica_medium_italic which I cannot find any suitable replacement
3. copy five BrowalliaNew fonts (have Thai characters) to the folder on my PC
4. rename BrowalliaNew to Helveticaxxxxx. Also create Helvetica_r by copying normal BrowalliaNew font
5. replace my Nook system/fonts folder with the one on my PC
6. reboot my Nook

I did not see any change on interface fonts. Thai author name still display as alien text. All interfaces fonts look the same for My Library, My Book, Daily. Webpage rendered by Nookbrowser still display Thai as alien text, e.g. m.gmail.com, m.yahoo.com, twitter.com.

I'm not sure what to do next to make it work.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-18-2010 at 07:59 PM.
Advert
Old 02-19-2010, 01:10 PM   #3
bthoven
Evangelist

Hi,

It works now. It was my fault. It was not working because the font filetype (TTF) was uppercase. After changing it to all lowercases, it works.

This is what I found:

- The author name shown in stock My Library still can't display Thai author name correctly
- The author name shown in rooted My Book seems not using the same font as My Library; so it won't display Thai author name correctly
- The title name font won't change (both My Book and My Library)
- The upper left title of the screen change to new font
- The chapter names inside ebook now displays Thai correctly on LCD
- When opening a book, LCD display font changes to the new font
- Nookbrowser and Trook won`t change to new font

I decided to go back to the stock font because the English glyph in the new font file is much smaller; too small to read and the book title still cannot display Thai.

Last edited by bthoven; 02-25-2010 at 07:18 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 03:09 AM   #4
bthoven
Evangelist

I've found another Thai font which has normal English font size and replace it in my Nook. There is one annoying effect that it increases line spacing in My Library, Daily, and setting. My Library now shows only eight books, instead of ten. Though I am ok with that because now I can see Thai chapter on LCD when reading book.

Just wonder why book title won't display Thai, perhaps Nook uses Helvetica_medium and Helvetica_medium_bold which I cannot find equivalent Thai fonts to replace.

My Book for the rooted Nook do not change from the font replacement.

_

Last edited by bthoven; 02-20-2010 at 03:59 AM.
Old 02-22-2010, 09:29 AM   #5
KNotTed
KNotTed is on a distinguished road

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600
You could just copy the standard font as medium and the bold font as medium bold.
KNotTed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert