Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
mrmcmichael
mrmcmichael began at the beginning.

Device: Android
Please add the ability to edit folder structure.

Yes, I've read the sticky. No, I'm not satisfied with the answer.

I use Calibre Portable in my dropbox to manage metadata of my books. I like that I can pop open my library on any PC that way. The problem is that I prefer to access my library remotely on my phone through the dropbox app, since it's so simple for me to download the file and import directly to my reader program. I usually want to load up a book when I'm nowhere near a pc with access to my library, so using the GUI is not an option.

Creating folders by author and not allowing me to change that means I'm poking through folders looking for a book because I don't remember the author's name, when all I want is to have folder names with a title and author.

I understand you have design considerations and all, but it really does reduce the utility of Calibre for me. Is there a plugin or something what will allow for customization?

Thanks.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:05 PM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
You can ask for this all you want, but Kovid has already stated that he has no plans to change this! It is also a monumental task to change this the folder structure is a basic assumption built into the design of the Calibre source code.

If you want your files to be organised in Dropbox the way you describe then use the Calibre "Save to Disk" facility to export files from Calibre to Dropbox in the folder/filename format that you want. Calibre provides complete control over the export folder/filename via the use of "Save to Disk" templates.

The alternative is to simply do your browsing via Calibre itself. The Calibre Search facility is much more powerful way of locating books than browsing a folder structure as you can use any combination of the metadata fields as your search criteria.
Old 03-29-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmcmichael View Post
Yes, I've read the sticky. No, I'm not satisfied with the answer.

I use Calibre Portable in my dropbox to manage metadata of my books. I like that I can pop open my library on any PC that way. The problem is that I prefer to access my library remotely on my phone through the dropbox app, since it's so simple for me to download the file and import directly to my reader program. I usually want to load up a book when I'm nowhere near a pc with access to my library, so using the GUI is not an option.

Creating folders by author and not allowing me to change that means I'm poking through folders looking for a book because I don't remember the author's name, when all I want is to have folder names with a title and author.

I understand you have design considerations and all, but it really does reduce the utility of Calibre for me. Is there a plugin or something what will allow for customization?

Thanks.
The Uninstall feature still works
The reason has been stated. It appears to be very valid.

The choice is yours
Old 03-29-2013, 02:13 PM   #4
avantman42
Wizard
avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avantman42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Another alternative would be to use the Dropbox search facility to find your book. It seems, from my limited use, to be fast and effective.
Old 03-31-2013, 02:20 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmcmichael View Post
I usually want to load up a book when I'm nowhere near a pc with access to my library, so using the GUI is not an option.

to itimpi's response quoted below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If you want your files to be organised in Dropbox the way you describe then use the Calibre "Save to Disk" facility to export files from Calibre to Dropbox in the folder/filename format that you want. Calibre provides complete control over the export folder/filename via the use of "Save to Disk" templates.
However if your phone runs Android Gingerbread (2.3) or newer I would recommend using the Calibre Companion App to manage your books and open them in your favorite reading app.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-31-2013 at 04:03 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:30 AM   #6
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Or use the very powerful save to disk feature in calibre. And save the books to the Dropbox folder. You can then customize the folder structure as you please. Only your knowledge of how to use the template system in calibre limit you. That way you also make sure that the metadata and covers are updated in the books. Calibre usually doesn't store changes in the books, but only in the database.
Old 03-31-2013, 03:58 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adoby View Post
Or use the very powerful save to disk feature in calibre. And save the books to the Dropbox folder.
Good advice for this OP, I'm surprised it wasn't previously (2) mentioned (5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by avantman42 View Post
Another alternative would be to use the Dropbox search facility to find your book. It seems, from my limited use, to be fast and effective.
I just tried this and it works great. Probably the easiest solution for mrmcmichael to use. No need to change anything.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-31-2013 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:12 AM   #8
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
the "save to disk" mean you have to do it every-time you make a change.... and have two copies of you library.

I'm quite annoyed at the "shut up" rule..

Maybe if lot a people of people ask, something should be done ?
What if, instead of going for a "no way, not gonna change it", we started to think about how we could change things to accommodate everyone ?

If all the time and energy spent to say "no won't change it", had been used to fix the problem... There would be no need to have this discussion all over again.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 03-31-2013 at 06:14 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
What if, instead of going for a "no way, not gonna change it", we started to think about how we could change things to accommodate everyone ?
Glad to see you're still around. It's fun to dream about, but trying to accommodate everyone isn't practical.

Quote:
If all the time and energy spent to say "no won't change it", had been used to fix the problem... There would be no need to have this discussion all over again.
Since calibre's folder structure is not a feature of calibre meant for user exploitation there doesn't seem to be a problem that needs fixing.

I also don't see any time and energy being wasted in the development of calibre, just review the What's new page over the last 2 years. Besides in this thread it would seem that avantman42 provided the perfect solution to mrmcmichael's problem.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 03-31-2013 at 08:10 AM.
Old 03-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #10
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Another workaround might be to create a catalog of books in your library, and upload the catalog to dropbox for perusing. With a catalog you can see sections for authors, titles, series, genres, recently added, & descriptions, if you choose. CLick on the dropdown for the Convert Books icon and check out the options.

I have created catalogs from Read and TBR tags to help manage my reading experience (well even though the TBR stack is quite unmanageable).

My library's gotten quite large, personally I wouldn't want the 'under the hood' format restructured. I think it would take quite a while to update, and would create many more folders as I know the number of unique titles is way more than number of unique authors.
Old 04-01-2013, 05:47 AM   #11
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Glad to see you're still around. It's fun to dream about, but trying to accommodate everyone isn't practical.
Don't worry, I've given up using calibre a long time ago. The title just got my eyes when browsing mobileread.
What's for you a non issue make calibre totally unusable for me.

Having the possibility to change the folder structure wouldn't be a problem / nuisance to those not wanting to use this function...

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-01-2013 at 06:02 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 06:28 AM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Don't worry, I've given up using calibre a long time ago. The title just got my eyes when browsing mobile read.
No worries. Use it or don't, no skin off my back.

Quote:
What's for you a non issue make calibre totally unusable for me.
I think you've made that clear.

Quote:
Having the possibility to change the folder structure wouldn't be a problem / nuisance to those not wanting to use this function...
True, I couldn't care less one way or the other. But then again I'm not the developer of the program. In order for the developer to commit time and effort to changing this aspect of calibre the developer has to care about this change. In the past Kovid has made his feelings clear.

Maybe things will change in the future, but altering the way calibre handles storing files in its library does nothing to enhance calibre's current user facing functionality.

Stop by anytime and Good Reading.
Old 04-01-2013, 07:07 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
Maybe things will change in the future, but altering the way calibre handles storing files in its library does nothing to enhance calibre's current user facing functionality.
Yes, but it wouldn't reduce the possibilities of calibre either. And make calibre usable for quite a few people in return.

Fact is, it would be a HUGE improvement for those who care.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 04-01-2013 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:11 AM   #14
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Yes, but it wouldn't reduce the possibilities of calibre either. And make calibre usable for quite a few people in return.

Fact is, it would be a HUGE improvement for those who care.
Fact is most people don't care if they did someone would have done it by now. That thread and argument was from a few years ago this argument has been going on for a few years even before that.
In all those years it was not important enough for anyone to branch off calibre as its opensource or submit a patch etc. I understand why you want it I would have been in the same boat as you 4-5 years ago if I hadn't bit the bullet and transferred all my ebooks to calibre. I haven't regretted that decision.
Thing is I think if Kovid had said its not possible because of the way calibre has been built instead of I am not interested in doing that you would not have got your back up about it.
A building is built on a foundation what you are asking for kovid to do is rebuild the foundation for an already standing building. To do that he would have to tear down the building and foundation then start from scratch. It took Kovid years to build up calibre not counting years spend by Chaley and others adding or improving stuff. Kovid does not feel it is an efficient use of his time or resources to start from scratch. Nor did any of the other millions of users thought it was worth their time to modify calibre. 1000s of programmers probably use calibre none of them have even tried.
Old 04-01-2013, 09:20 AM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
1000s of programmers probably use calibre [and] none of them have even tried [to modify Calibre to have a different library folder structure].
Maybe because there's no need to change the Calibre code in order to achieve that objective.

This programmer simply layers folder symlinks onto Calibre's Library/Author/Title folder structure to create an entirely different view of the same data. No need to touch any Calibre code and no need to store the data twice.

Pretty sure that each of the desktop environments on which Calibre executes will support folder symlinks.

Why would I change someone else's code to do something for which it wasn't designed, especially when there's an alternative loosely couple solution sitting there waiting to be used.

BR
Closed Thread