Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-12-2013, 03:29 PM   #196
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
@corrin18

Thank you very much for your report. I wasn't fast enough to see the link before the moderator removed it, but even if I did, I wouldn't be able to help you. I didn't change anything regarding the reflow mode (as far as I know). The latest KPV is newer than Librerator-R2, so if KPV behaves better (faster) with the PDF in question, that's probably because it uses newer version of k2pdfopt library. If I publish a new release of Librerator, I'll try incorporating the newest libraries at the time. But don't hold your breath. Except for some very rare cases, I think the version that shipped with R2 works quite good.

Regards,
Kai
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 AM   #197
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
Is there anyway to add some blank margin to the fit content mod ????
under the fit content mod ,the text is too close the the edge of the screen.
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 07:12 AM   #198
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

@troyme

I suggest you manually set BBox first, and then use fit-to-content-width mode. You might find this page helpful:
https://github.com/kai771/kindlepdfv...User%27s-Guide

Regards,
Kai
Old 05-16-2013, 01:56 PM   #199
dider
dider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: kindle4
Hi again!
I'm really enjoying Librerator, but unfortunately I have to report quite a major bug.

Kindle 4NT crashes (restarts) while using PDF Reflow on some specific pdf files. It doesn't happen while reading a proper, simple structured pdf book.

It does happen while reading pdf files created with Send to Kindle extension (for Chrome in my case). This addon transforms a web page (an article, for example) into pdf file, which then often contains pictures and looks very patchworky. These files load fine, but crash when you turn the page several times. Kindle then goes straight into this screen:

Then it goes to the Kindle starting screen and it loads the list of books. Then when I try to use the pad to select any book from the Kindle's list, it instantly switches to the last page I was viewing in Librerator (I thought Librerator is killed during the restart, but it appears it's loaded in the background).

I attached a sample file that crashes my Kindle (this article can be accessed by anyone, it's not behind any paywall)

I know that this file looks horrible and I honestly didn't expect being able to read it, but I wonder if this happens on every Kindle. Cheers!

Last edited by dider; 05-16-2013 at 02:03 PM.
dider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 04:09 PM   #200
Kai771
Just a Noob

@dider

Hi dider,

Thank you for your report. I downloaded the file that you attached and tried it out on my K3. I opened it in reflow mode, default options. It doesn't crash on K3. I was able to go through all the pages and back. But, it takes 10s or so to render a page. Also, pressing Alt-Back does cause a crash (it should just close the file, and go back to FileChooser). It goes back to Kindle software, but doesn't refresh the screen. Alt-G fixes that, but the title bar is not updated anymore. To get it back, you need to start Librerator again, and exit normally.

So, no framework restart on K3. There's definitely some problem there, but it's highly unlikely to be fixed by me. Sorry. I neither have K4NT nor time. I also lack motivation . The file you attached can comfortably be read manually setting bbox and using fit-to-content-width mode.

For improvements in Reflow mode, wait for koreader to add support for K4NT. Users of K2/KDX/K3 may have more luck with the newest version of KPV, because it uses newer libraries than Librerator-R2.

Regards,
Kai
Advert
Old 05-16-2013, 05:15 PM   #201
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Ill test on a k4 in the morrow while running SSH. looks like the memory cap is being tripped.

(That is WAY Johnny Mnemonic / Total Recall..)
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:19 PM   #202
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Ill test on a k4 in the morrow while running SSH. looks like the memory cap is being tripped.

(That is WAY Johnny Mnemonic / Total Recall..)
A lot of the application is Lua -
Lua's garbage collector can be "fine tuned" to do a better job in small memory devices than its stock settings.

Might have a look at those settings in the application.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:44 PM   #203
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I could dig around...

*goes back to bed*
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 02:50 AM   #204
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
While the garbage collection could be tuned, I don't think it would help. The actual rendering of the PDF seems to be the culprit, and that is part of the (C language) dependent library MuPDF. Some corner cases will probably always trigger a high memory usage, seems to be one of them.

Some day (TM) I hope I have the time to make the rendering backends work in subprocesses that can be better controlled in terms of memory usage. A bit like the Chrome/-ium browser does.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:46 AM   #205
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
While the garbage collection could be tuned, I don't think it would help. The actual rendering of the PDF seems to be the culprit, and that is part of the (C language) dependent library MuPDF. Some corner cases will probably always trigger a high memory usage, seems to be one of them.
I know your using LuaJIT, but it should have maintained compatibility with the standard lauconf.h (one can hope anyway).

LUAI_GCPAUSE is set at 200 out-of-the box - -
redefine as: 110, re-build.

Give that a try - it may leave enough memory room for the C backends to work.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 04:43 AM   #206
troyme
Enthusiast
troyme began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx US
Thanks, it's working !!!!!

I love your app !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
@troyme

I suggest you manually set BBox first, and then use fit-to-content-width mode. You might find this page helpful:
https://github.com/kai771/kindlepdfv...User%27s-Guide

Regards,
Kai
troyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #207
dider
dider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Timedider possesses cleverness exceeding the boundaries of Space and Time

Device: kindle4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
@dider
The file you attached can comfortably be read manually setting bbox and using fit-to-content-width mode.
This whole bbox thing sounded like Latin to me. And then I read troyme's post and followed the link.

Quote:
Many pdf files don’t have defined bounding box (bbox), or they have it defined incorrectly, so it’s best to define it manually. Since first page is usually the cover, and the few pages after are table of contents etc, navigate to the page with normal text using next page/previous page buttons first, and then:

Press Shift-X, or select Menu/Settings/Manually set BBox. A dialog saying “top left bbox” will appear. Press fiveway right and down, and you’ll see a crosshairs. You can change the step of moving them pressing Q for large, A for normal and Z for small on K3/KDX, and ScreenKB for small, Menu for normal and Home for large on K4NT.
Move the crosshairs to the top left corner of the area you want selected. Press fiveway center.
Do the same for the bottom right corner. When you press fiveway center, your selection will blink.
[4]. Many books have different margins for odd and even pages. In the previous step, you set BBox for one of them - it said which one in the “top left bbox” dialog. Press next page button, and repeat what you did in the previous step.

[5]. Navigate back to the page you want to start reading from, and then choose Menu/Zoom & Rotate/Fit-to-content-width (or press “S”) if it’s a one-column text. If it’s a two-column text, select Menu/Zoom & Rotate/2-column mode (or press “F”) instead.
I've just tried it. This is absolutely amazing. I never knew I could do that in Librerator.

Last edited by dider; 05-18-2013 at 03:51 PM.
dider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 03:53 AM   #208
mosiclover
mosiclover began at the beginning.

Unhappy

I couldn't install Librerator on my Kindle 3 wifi, firmware 3.4.
When I copy all files from Librerator to customupdates directory:
1. press Shift - Shift - I: success
2. press Shift - Shift - Space: success
3. press Shift - L - L: nothing happened

Please help me!!!
mosiclover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:43 AM   #209
rashi
rashi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4NT
Thank you very much, installed Librerator and it works like a charm for my math books. It was my first Kindle modification, too - yay!

Last edited by rashi; 06-14-2013 at 12:44 PM. Reason: <asked for help, messed up a bit more with the reader and did it>
rashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 01:08 AM   #210
Kai771
Just a Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosiclover View Post
I couldn't install Librerator on my Kindle 3 wifi, firmware 3.4.
When I copy all files from Librerator to customupdates directory:
1. press Shift - Shift - I: success
2. press Shift - Shift - Space: success
3. press Shift - L - L: nothing happened

Please help me!!!
You need to copy the file librerator-R2.zip to customupdates directory, not the files that the archive contains. Then, pressing Shift-Shift-I will unpack the archive and copy the files to the right places.

Regards,
Kai

Tags
application, epub, fb2, pdf, reader