Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 10:44 PM   #1
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Subject tags in metadata

Calibre saves information in the <dc:subject> tags differently depending on whether you "Save to disk" or do a conversion.

When I populate the Tags field in the Edit Metadata window with multiple entries (e.g. History, Economics) and do a conversion from epub to mobi, the subject tags in the metadata look like this:

<dc:subject>Economics</dc:subject>
<dc:subject>History</dc:subject>

If, however, I do a Save to Disk, then the entries are conjoined like this:

<dc:subject>Economics, History</dc:subject>

I believe the specs don't have a standardized terminology so any string can be written, but shouldn't the entries be kept separate.
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I tried saving an epub to disk in calibre and got separate <dc:subject> tags in both the standalone opf and the opf inside th epub.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-22-2012, 01:25 AM   #3
Jeff L
Zealot
Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jeff L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Pardon me, I should be more specific.

After converting the epub to mobi, it's the mobi file that shows the differences in the metadata.

I inspect the mobi file's metadata with Mobi2mobi and with Mobipocket Reader.

I'm using ver 0.8.44
Jeff L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:05 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
mobi does not have opf files and subject tags. metadata in mobi is stored in fields in the exth header. WHat you see is just the representation of those fields in whatever software you're using to view the metadata.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote