Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-13-2012, 08:41 AM   #1
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle DX, Kobo Aura HD
Updating to v5.1: 'Update Your Kindle' is grayed out!

I'm not new to Kindle firmware updating, so I'm surprised that I'm unable to update from v5.0.4 to v5.1.0 for Kindle Touch because the menu selection "Update Your Kindle" is completely grayed out.

I've checked many times - the update file is indeed in Kindle Touch's root directory, as this is the usual place to put the update.

Is this file for Wireless and 3G only? Because my Kindle is Wireless only. And I have not installed any hack on it.

Does it happen to anyone else?
greenapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 08:52 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Perhaps the file is corrupted or incomplete. Try clearing your browser's cache and downloading it again.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 09:09 AM   #3
greenapple
Evangelist
greenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enoughgreenapple will become famous soon enough

I've redownloaded the update file a few times using different downloaders. I've also restarted the Kindle, ensured I have about 1.5GB of space on Kindle. Nothing seemed to work.

Guess I'm stuck with 5.0.4. I hate it because I really wanted the landscape mode for reading.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How large is your file? It should have a ".bin" extension and be a little over 38MB in size.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:12 AM   #5
greenapple
Evangelist

The file's name is "Update_kindle_5.1.0.bin" and yes, it's about 38.5mb..
Advert
Old 04-13-2012, 09:15 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

OK, that sounds right. Now, the location: you've copied the file to the root folder that you see when you connect your Kindle via USB? The folder within which you see "documents", "audible", etc? You've not put it inside "documents"?
Old 04-13-2012, 08:39 PM   #7
greenapple
Evangelist

Well.. I DID put the bin file in the 'documents' directory! I've been through updating Kindle at least 5 times (since Kindle 3), can't believe I did that! Feel kinda silly.

My KT has since updated smoothly without a hitch, after rectifying the location of the bin file. Thanks HarryT for your patience.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:30 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Pleased to hear it. I knew there had to be a simple explanation .