Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-04-2011, 11:55 AM   #1
3d0g
I make fjords.
3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.3d0g can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: kobo 1 (retired), kobo 2, iPad, G2, Galaxy Tab 7+
B&N offering to transfer Kobo books to NOOK

Very interesting. With the new NOOK specs leaked (they blow away the Kindle Fire), it looks like the color eReader market is about to really heat up this holiday season...

Update: Ahh, I just read the PDF - they're simply using ADE to authorize a NOOK for Kobo books.

Last edited by 3d0g; 11-04-2011 at 11:58 AM.
3d0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 06:20 PM   #2
OneandonlyDoc
Fearless Writer
OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OneandonlyDoc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi
I do find it to be incredibly lame that when BN bought out the Borders e-mail lists and suchnot, they didn't start thinking that maybe customers who have Kobo e-readers might like to buy their books from both B&N and Kobo and thusly modify their DRM so readers weren't locked into Nook.

One way or another, though, that just means I keep buying my books from KoboBooks and Smashwords.
OneandonlyDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2011, 11:45 PM   #3
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
unless things have changed I believe B&N are not even available outside the US so they are largely irrelevant on the world stage. Also do they offer a more standard ADE DRM epub when you purchase an ebook through them, or only their slightly modified variant? if the later I find it rather consumer unfriendly. This is one of the nicer things Kobo does allowing even those with other devices to purchase books, or in reverse be able to take you media with you.

I really wish the publishers had pushed for an industry standard, but maybe they feel they will do better with people rebuying stuff as they jump around platforms.

Last edited by molman; 11-05-2011 at 03:14 AM.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 01:45 AM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by molman View Post
unless things have changed I believe B&N are not even available outside the US so they are largely irrelevant on the world stage.
Yes I don't think B&N will get much value out of my email address! I can't buy a Nook or even an ebook from them because I live outside the US. I quickly took the opportunity to remove my address with their opt out email so that I don't get irrelevant spam from them.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 03:14 AM   #5
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
Yes I don't think B&N will get much value out of my email address! I can't buy a Nook or even an ebook from them because I live outside the US. I quickly took the opportunity to remove my address with their opt out email so that I don't get irrelevant spam from them.
Did the same thing
molman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert