Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-27-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
emclinux
emclinux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
So you have a Kindle. Pros/Cons

List what you believe is the Pros and Cons with the Kindle. For me its...

Pros
  • The screen - I love the screen
  • Ease of use and the Amazon store
  • Weight
  • The amazing amount of books that you can have with 3GB
  • Wifi is nice
  • username@kindle.com
  • Battery life - Really amazing
Cons (I will go into detail about these so you can see my reasoning)
  • Supported formats - I know that we are really in the beginning of ebooks and there readers and every manufacture is drawing a line in the sand as the format that is used and will be the standard but I would really like to see more supported formats like lit and epub being the big names here
  • Web Browser - I wish this was a bit better and I know its an ebook reader but I believe that this will be better with the updates so its not a big deal
  • The SDK - Really amazon you can release it. There is a reason that Apple and Android has so many apps its because they released the kit
  • Screensavers - They are neat for about 5 minutes but I would like to see a way to change them without hacking
emclinux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 08:53 PM   #2
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
.lit is a dead format.

It would be nice if the Kindle supported .epub, but even if it did, it still wouldn't be .epub with DRM. Since you can convert any non-DRM'd .epub very easily, it doesn't really make much of a practical difference.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2010, 10:07 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
As for as the web browser my comment is this is a ebook reader not a tablet or computer or ipad. And as for as the screensaver there are hacks for that but as for me when I am not reading and I put it to sleep I close the cover and could care less about what the screen looks like. And the SDK again this is an ebook reader not a computer or a tablet or an ipad.
And by the way it is a damn good ebook reader.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:14 PM   #4
ChaseKR
Connoisseur
ChaseKR began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4 Touch, iPad 1 3G
I would appreciate support for lending books and accessing library books via OverDrive.
ChaseKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 02:27 AM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Pros:
- the price
- the improved screen
- the new typefaces
- wifi
- the browser (compared to k2)
- new PDF features (annotation/highlighting, contrast adjustment, password access)
Cons:
- PDF is still not good enough (need link support, actual PDF annotations rather than using sidecar file, reflow option, fit-to-page chops things off sometimes). Sony is much better, has a mode to make 2 column PDFs easier to navigate, etc. Copy them.
- Let the browser open links that want a 'new window' (ask permission if need be). Allow PDF download with web browser, at least over wifi. Consider adding audio codecs so you can listen to some web audio (live radio, embedded mp3 etc.), at least over wifi.
- document navigation is not good enough. Bookmarks are useless without a quick way to navigate to them (a feature missing since K1). They need to use the NCX TOC, the 'HTML' TOC is awful for quickly jumping to a chapter/section. Hyperlinks should be easier to navigate to. Need a Forward function (for recovery from hitting Back too many times, jumping more easily between documents, etc.). They don't need to wait for a touch screen to improve this stuff.
- allow nested collections to make the 'folders' people happier
- provide a way to add custom fonts
- provide a way to add custom screensavers
- stop using 'experimental' to describe features that are used to sell Kindles and make them official (TTS, web browser, image viewer, PDF), spend some time to fix some of the bugs.
- fix audible wifi download so you can get format 4 instead of Enhanced. There isn't THAT much darn space to waste, and I doubt I can tell the difference on Kindle's cheesy audio circuitry. Fix the playback quality to eliminate annoying dropouts. Improve audiobook navigation so you can jump to previous/next chapters when paused and hit previous/next repeatedly without it jumping back to play/pause right away each time.
- add ePub conversion to the @kindle conversion service. For extra credit, add native support to Kindle (even without any DRM support).
- make a deal with OverDrive to support a large selection of mobi-format books for library borrowing.
- bring mobi up to parity (at least) with ePub in terms of CSS support (setting right margins, drop caps, hanging indents, image placement, better table support etc.).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 04:34 AM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Pros
Nice display.
Nice size.
Cons
Little weeny keypad with no numbers
Terrible voices on text-to-speach. Terrible inflection? 2 or more lines of successive quotes are spoken with no break and very poor pronounciation and ephasis is oddly chosen. Kind of like the bus stop announcing system on transit.

Still it is nice enough for the moment.
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:18 AM   #7
Jacina
Jacina began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaseKR View Post
I would appreciate support for lending books and accessing library books via OverDrive.
Lend books:

Register their kindle with your account.
Send them the book.
Deregister them.

Done :P
Jacina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:34 AM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
The thing with native ePub support (even without DRM) is that it would be a great boon for those of us that mostly read non-DRMed/non-Amazon stuff.

While I suspect the number of stores that sell non-DRM books is shrinking, in the past week I've bought books from Baen and Fictionwise. In all three cases, the mobi/PRC files were atrociously formatted.

So I had to download the epub and convert to mobi and then put on my Kindle to see what they look like. Then load them in Sigil, tweak and convert. Repeat several times before I got it right.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:32 AM   #9
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
It would be nice if the Kindle supported .epub, but even if it did, it still wouldn't be .epub with DRM. Since you can convert any non-DRM'd .epub very easily, it doesn't really make much of a practical difference.
+1 I totally agree with that. Lack of support for non-DRM epub is a moot point, plenty of really good conversion tools exist for converting to mobi (and allowing for slight tweaks to suit you).

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyR View Post
The thing with native ePub support (even without DRM) is that it would be a great boon for those of us that mostly read non-DRMed/non-Amazon stuff.

While I suspect the number of stores that sell non-DRM books is shrinking, in the past week I've bought books from Baen and Fictionwise. In all three cases, the mobi/PRC files were atrociously formatted.

So I had to download the epub and convert to mobi and then put on my Kindle to see what they look like. Then load them in Sigil, tweak and convert. Repeat several times before I got it right.
Wouldn't just downloading the non-DRM mobi and reconvert through Calibre be a better option? I have had to do it with my Baen books, and I found going from mobi/prc to mobi was better than epub to mobi. Consequently I download both epub and mobi/prc and reformat both for each of my ereader.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:59 AM   #10
Mitsuya Cider
Mitsuya Cider began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW, IPad Mini
Pros:
- It's light and attractive
- The case, when you buy it, makes it safer and more comfortable
- Reading on it feels natural
- Easy to transfer your own books/documents onto it
- Samples

Cons:
- No custom fonts/screensavers without jailbreaking it
- DRM in purchased books
- Convoluted navigation menus
- Only one level of collections
- Cannot rename books on the device
- No tag system
- Not nearly enough user setting options

All of the above cons can be fixed by amazon if and when they choose to update
Mitsuya Cider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #11
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
I didn't imagine the thread was about Kindles versus hardback books. I assumed what was wanted was pros and cons of Kindle versus other ebook readers.

That said, I don't have any cons. All ebook readers have the same issues with formats, DRM, and books with photos and illustrations.

I want my ebook reader for, gasp, reading books and not for browsing the internet, doing email, playing games, watching movies, listening to music, or running inumerable apps. I also have valid reasons for not wanted an ebook reader that does all those things, mostly related to battery use. No, if I wanted all those things I'd get a toy from Apple.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 AM   #12
wongdong
Connoisseur
wongdong has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 360, Pocketbook 903
thats Easy:

Pros - Hardware
Cons - Software
wongdong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #13
will850