Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 08:17 AM   #1
Bookbee
Bookbee began at the beginning.

Device: jasondavis
New ebook store in Australia - sort of

Just giving everyone a heads-up about Pan Macmillan's new ebook store in Oz. For those elsewhere, the ebook market here is way behind that of the US, but the promise of the iPad and other tablets is finally dragging local publishers (kicking and screaming) into digital publishing.

Unfortunately Pan Macmillan have just cobbled together old ebooks (that were lying around) and put up this store with limited functionality (it's in beta, apparently). To categories or organisation, and the overblown prices that Aussies are used to. Still, if there's a title there you can't get elsewhere, it might help out. They say they'll be adding ebook versions of their full catalogue of books "within months". That's when it might turn into something decent.https://www.mobileread.com/forums/ima...s/confused.gif

Mobipocket, Adobe PDF and Microsoft Reader formats - as well as a 12-month licence for online reading, at a discount. That option is just an insult, I reckon.https://www.mobileread.com/forums/images/smilies/mad.gif
[Promotional link deleted - MODERATOR]

Jason

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 01-14-2015 at 05:20 PM.
Bookbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 02:02 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Thanks for the information. I agree with your comments, especially about the poor design of the site.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 03:37 AM   #3
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
a very expensive book store, one ebook "confessions of a failed grown up" is $45.00, the book has been out for a couple of years. Still there are t least ausie writers on the site so maybe we will start to see some more local stuff.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 10:05 AM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
From the FAQ:
Quote:
DRM Protection

We have provided some DRM (Digital Rights Management) restrictions to the downloadable content on our website. The downloadable content in .pdf and ePub formats is DRM protected and carries No Copy, No Print restrictions. Hence you would not be able to copy or print this content. But the content in .lit and .prc formats is not DRM protected.
This is strange, since it is hard to argue that "pirates" only go after PDF/ePub. I any case, this means that the PRC version, if available, will work "as is" on a Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 05:51 PM   #5
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
I agree about this poor excuse for an ebookstore . Its been in beta for at least as long as I have owned my Sony reader(nearly 2 years) and the prices are ridiculous. They were offering 5 Greatest Warriors by Matthew Reilly for AU$45 in PDF before so I bought from BoB for US$14.98 instead.
ReadWithoutPaper is getting my business for my Oz purchases because it is the only decent Oz ebookstore at present.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
australia, ebook store