Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-30-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valloric View Post
Isn't DRM laden Mobipocket crackable? And if so, it should be possible to convert it to LRF. Or not?
Yes (mobidedrm) and yes (calibre).

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 06:37 PM   #17
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Yes (mobidedrm) and yes (calibre).
Thought so.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2008, 08:16 PM   #18
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
if you do convert a dictionary for the reader, I would recommend converting it to EPUB as epub supports a hierarchical table of contents, which means that instead of using the joystick, you can use the number buttons to quickly navigate all links.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 08:41 AM   #19
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
Thanks, Kovid. A very good idea. I'm not sure about the 1913 Webster's, though. I looked at it and it's in TXT format which just means a whole lot more work and for a document that's huge (the TXT file was 45 Mb, I think). It looks like it will require an enormous amount of work to convert decently. I'll need to have a few more cups of coffee before I agree to do that.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 09:02 AM   #20
rasbadar
Enthusiast
rasbadar began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
(...) It looks like it will require an enormous amount of work to convert decently. I'll need to have a few more cups of coffee before I agree to do that.
But IF you decide (after some nice java) to convert it, please put upload it here, mate.

thanks in advance

ras
rasbadar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2008, 09:14 AM   #21
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
A odd source of a good dictionary (Random House Dictionary) is a freely-distributable program called eRocket.exe (or ertkdinstall.exe) available at ERocket | Home Download | PC World.

This is a PC emulator for Rocket edition (.rb) files first made available for the Nuvomedia Rocket eBook reader. Now, after you install this emulator (usually to C:\Program Files\NuvoMedia\) you will find the dictionary in the C:\Program Files\NuvoMedia\eRocket\RocketEditions directory called rhd.rb.

Now sourceforge hosts the rbmake project which includes a rbburst.exe program that will take a .rb file and explode it into its .html component parts.

That .html is your stating point for a nice compact dictionary (with approx. 19,300 word entries) for your own personal use! There's no table of contents, but adding a two-level one as suggested by VR is a great excercise left to the reader (not hardware one ).

Good luck!

p.s. I include that .html in the zip below to give you a head start; just say you got it from installing the above eRocket software.
Attached Files
File Type: zip rhd.zip (596.9 KB, 1134 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-01-2008 at 09:49 AM. Reason: added dictionary word count
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:25 AM   #22
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/972/972.txt

That will bring you to
Title: The Devil's Dictionary

Author: Ambrose Bierce

Posting Date: July 26, 2008 [EBook #972]
Release Date: July, 1997

You can use e.g. Calibre to put it into .lrf format.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 10:29 AM   #23
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/972/972.txt

That will bring you to
Title: The Devil's Dictionary

Author: Ambrose Bierce

Posting Date: July 26, 2008 [EBook #972]
Release Date: July, 1997

You can use e.g. Calibre to put it into .lrf format.
That one is already available in our library, I think. Wait, now I can't find it. What happened? I was sure it was there? Am I dreaming?
Old 10-01-2008, 10:43 AM   #24
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
That .html is your stating point for a nice compact dictionary (with approx. 19,300 word entries) for your own personal use! There's no table of contents, but adding a two-level one as suggested by VR is a great excercise left to the reader (not hardware one ).

Good luck!

p.s. I include that .html in the zip below to give you a head start; just say you got it from installing the above eRocket software.
A more ambitious project would include an updated 1913 Webster's dictionary done a long time ago here http://web.archive.org/web/200406061...adiocrypt.com/. This one includes 125,970 searchable words!!!

Note this page is no longer on the internet, but can still be found using the WayBackMachine at archive.org. The original Websters' Dictionary 2.0.rb may not be still available there, but I have it (15MB) if you need it. The info extracted from that .rb is presented here:
Quote:
COMMENT=Info file for the following eBook
TITLE=Webster's Dictionary ver 2.0
AUTHOR=HTML ed. by KDawg
BODY=Final12.html
URL=ebook:rbmk-3e58bb890987fff91699
GENERATOR=rbmake v0.99f using the rbmake library v0.99f
HKEY=1
TYPE=2
VERSION=1
PARSE=1
OUTPUT=1
However, for convenience, I attach an updated .html extracted from that .rb that I used to convert to REB1200 .imp (23MB) many years ago! This one includes a simple TOC and is placed in the footer of my reader. You may need to remove it from there and place it as a stand-alone TOC.

BTW, did I mention IT'S HUGE.

Lots of luck here!

EDIT: moved the updated .html file and REB1200 screenshots to my .imp Webster's Dictionary post.

Previous downloads: 15

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-06-2008 at 12:57 AM. Reason: moved the source .html file and REB1200 screenshots
Old 10-01-2008, 11:03 AM   #25
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Well, that looks like a decent dictionary, Nick. Thanks. The Random House one didn't seem to have any words that most people don't already know. This one, particularly with it already being in HTML format, might not be too bad. I may give it a whirl although making the two-tiered table of contents will mean adding several hundred links and will take some time. It'll be a huge file, too. Probably'll add a pound to each reader just to hold it all.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:10 AM   #26
nrapallo

Quote:
Well, that looks like a decent dictionary, Nick. Thanks. The Random House one didn't seem to have any words that most people don't already know. This one, particularly with it already being in HTML format, might not be too bad. I may give it a whirl although making the two-tiered table of contents will mean adding several hundred links and will take some time. It'll be a huge file, too. Probably'll add a pound to each reader just to hold it all.
I too had started using a two-tier TOC, but abandoned it when it DID become too cumbersome to do by hand. I only got up to 'Ca - Cc' (not to be confused with ca-ca )

Thanks for (maybe) taking this on! And please make the source .html available afterwards; you never know who might use it to convert to...

Below is an image from an early attempt by me!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	REB1200_TOC_not yet added to this html.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	16694  

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-01-2008 at 11:12 AM.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:56 AM   #27
kesey
Enthusiast
kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kesey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
That one is already available in our library, I think. Wait, now I can't find it. What happened? I was sure it was there? Am I dreaming?
vivaldi, I did a search in the uploads (before posting re The Devil's Dictionary) and did not find it there.
kesey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 12:09 PM   #28
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kesey View Post
vivaldi, I did a search in the uploads (before posting re The Devil's Dictionary) and did not find it there.
I was sure I had a copy for my Reader but can't check right now. Perhaps it was part of the collected works of Bierce? Or maybe I had a copy from manybooks.net which, of course, won't be nicely formatted. In any event, we need a nice copy of it at MR and I will put this on my list of books to convert and upload if someone else doesn't beat me to it (which would be very nice, if they did).
Old 10-01-2008, 04:37 PM   #29
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
However, for convenience, I attach an updated .html extracted from that .rb that I used to convert to REB1200 .imp (23MB) many years ago!
Easter egg alert, check the entry for 'K-Dawg, The' after the Ka words.... (Pompous comes to mind!)

Last edited by nrapallo; 10-01-2008 at 04:42 PM.
Old 10-01-2008, 04:56 PM   #30
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I looked at it and it's in TXT format which just means a whole lot more work and for a document that's huge (the TXT file was 45 Mb, I think). It looks like it will require an enormous amount of work to convert decently.
Yes, you download a TXT file from PD, but it's actually HTML. There's a copyright notice at the beginning, but after that, it's all markup.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote