Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 02-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #106
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
In the UK, Amazon is offering a sale on The Malady in Madeira for Ann Bridge fans.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:41 PM   #107
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Twelve of the YA mystery series, Cherry Ames, by Helen Wells are $2.99 each.

Quote:
Cherry Ames is the central character in a series of 27 mystery novels with hospital settings published by Grosset & Dunlap between 1943 and 1968. Helen Wells (1910-1986) wrote volumes #1-7 and 17-27, and Julie Campbell Tatham (1908-1999), the creator of Trixie Belden, wrote volumes #8-16.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Ames
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 07:04 PM   #108
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Twelve of the YA mystery series, Cherry Ames, by Helen Wells are $2.99 each.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cherry_Ames

I've been meaning to try those out. If you can find them in a used bookstore, you often have to pay top dollar for them. This way, I save money, and the author's estate is paid.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:44 AM   #109
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The Disassembled Man by Nate Flexer from New Pulp Press is free again, for those of you who missed it before.

Quote:
Frankie Avicious is a hard-luck fellow with a sordid past. Living in a dreary meatpacking town, stuck in a loveless marriage, and spending his days slaughtering cattle, Frankie has nothing to look forward to but his next swallow of bargain whiskey. His wife is threatening to leave him, and the local sociopath is threatening to kill him. And then there’s Scarlett Acres, a stripper with a heart of fool’s gold. Frankie can’t stop thinking about her…

With the encouragement of a mysterious traveling salesman, Frankie sets out to reverse his destiny through a series of bizarre murders. The consequences of his brutality turn out to be far worse than even he could imagine.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:50 AM   #110
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Got your message and nabbed it! I didn't even remember this! So thanks for remembering me!
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:51 AM   #111
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Got your message and nabbed it! I didn't even remember this! So thanks for remembering me!
LOL - That was quick! I didn't want you to miss it again.
Old 02-23-2013, 03:55 AM   #112
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
LOL, I work 3rd shift
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:04 AM   #113
NightBird
Wizard

Aha!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:20 AM   #114
mitford13
Guru
mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitford13 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air2, Fire HD10, Paperwhite, Kobo App
Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post

I've been meaning to try those out. If you can find them in a used bookstore, you often have to pay top dollar for them. This way, I save money, and the author's estate is paid.
Some folks on the Amazon forums are reporting that some of these are actually bundles. I haven't had a chance to verify this myself - but if you bought a bunch you might want to take a look and get refunds if it works out...

From the Amazon threads:

"I thought I'd tell everyone that I just discovered that the first book in the series, Cherry Ames, Student Nurse, actually contains the first four books, Student Nurse, Senior Nurse, Army Nurse and Chief Nurse."

"I hadn't realised. It isn't easy to tell that there are 4 books included when viewing the book on the kindle. However when I tried viewing it on the PC, it was much clearer.

I also discovered that,

Cherry Ames, Flight Nurse: Bk. 5 contains books 5-8
(Flight Nurse: Book 5, Private Duty Nurse: Book 6, Veterans Nurse: Book 7, Visiting Nurse: Book 8), although Books 7 and 8 are in the wrong order, and the cover for Veteran's Nurse is missing.

Cherry Ames, Cruise Nurse contains books 9-12
(Cruise Nurse: Book 9, Boarding School Nurse: Book 10, Department School Nurse: Book 11, Camp Nurse: Book 12)

and

Cherry Ames, Companion Nurse contains books 17-20
(Companion Nurse: Book 17, Jungle Nurse: Book 18, The Mystery in the Doctor's Office: Book 19, Ski Nurse Mystery: Book 20)

Books 13-16 are only available individually
At Hilton Hospital: Book 13
Island Nurse: Book 14
Rural Nurse: Book 15
Staff Nurse: Book 16"
mitford13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 PM   #115
Critteranne
Guru
Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Critteranne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitford13 View Post
Some folks on the Amazon forums are reporting that some of these are actually bundles. I haven't had a chance to verify this myself - but if you bought a bunch you might want to take a look and get refunds if it works out...

Wow! They're right. You can't tell from the table of contents, at least in the cirst book. The TOC shows only the TOC for the first book. But when you go to the last chapter of Student Nurse, you're only about half-way through.

Luckily I only bought the first one. But now I might buy another. And why didn't the publisher promote these as bundles? These came from Wiley, not a small outfit.
Critteranne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 05:22 PM   #116
NightBird
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critteranne View Post
Wow! They're right. You can't tell from the table of contents, at least in the cirst book. The TOC shows only the TOC for the first book. But when you go to the last chapter of Student Nurse, you're only about half-way through.

Luckily I only bought the first one. But now I might buy another. And why didn't the publisher promote these as bundles? These came from Wiley, not a small outfit.
So what does it say after the last chapter? How many locations are in the book?

I saw this post, too, but didn't believe it was correct after looking at the TOC.

ETA: It looks like another case where they just pasted the info to the ebook from the hardback even though it is not the same.

Remember - if anyone bought all of these and ended up with duplicates, you have 7 days to return these to Amazon for a refund.

Last edited by NightBird; 02-23-2013 at 05:35 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:43 PM   #117
NightBird
Wizard

Free True Crime: A Mother's Trial by Nancy Wright. Published by Random House in 1984. UK

Quote:
FACT: Priscilla and Steve Phillips adopt a Korean baby. Shortly afterwards little Tia begins developing strange symptoms. In and out of the hospital for months, she finally succumbs. Cause of death: unknown.

FACT: The Phillipses adopt a second Korean infant named Mindy. Once again the same symptoms develop. Near death, the child is taken away to intensive care, away from any interaction with her mother. The child recovers.

FACT: Mindy is removed from the Phillipses’ home. Months later she is adopted by a new couple. After a few weeks in her new home, she falls ill once again.

As far as anyone knew, Priscilla Phillips was the perfect mother: A pillar of her church, a social worker, a devoted wife and loving mother of two sons of her own. Priscilla lavished endless love and attention on little Tia, and later on her sister Mindy. To this day she claims total innocence of any wrongdoing.

Yet she was arrested and tried for murder. Was she a mother who literally loved her children to death? A woman so desperate to be needed that she’d take any risk, pay any price?

Here is her incredible true story.
Old 02-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #118
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I picked up six of the Nick Teffinger novels last year, but haven't read them yet. I just saw the below and thought others may be interested in this.

Latest Tweet from R.J. Jagger - Nick Teffinger's most desperate and personal case yet. Just released! SHADOW KILL, free today

R.J. Jagger - Shadow Kill (Nick Teffinger Thriller) free at Amazon and DRM free.

Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited

Quote:
In this edgy thriller from acclaimed author R.J. Jagger, Denver homicide detective Nick Teffinger finds his life shaken to the core as he negotiates the deadly undercurrents between two criss-crossing assassins, one of which may be targeting his lover, and the other of which may be in a unique position to help him. In the world of shadow kills, however, nothing is free. Everything comes with a price; most of all, help.(385 pages)
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:38 AM   #119
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
The Devil's Star by Jo Nesbø is $1.99 right now. B&N | Sony | hasn't dropped at Kobo or BoB yet.

Quote:
Oslo is sweltering in the summer heat when a young woman is murdered in her flat. One finger has been cut off and a tiny red diamond in the shape of a pentagram--a five-pointed star--is found under her eyelid. Detective Harry Hole is assigned the case with Tom Waaler, a colleague he neither likes nor trusts. He believes Tom is behind a gang of arms smugglers--and the murder of his partner. But Harry, an off-the-rails alcoholic, is barely holding on to his job and has little choice but to play nice.

Five days later, another woman is reported missing. When her severed finger is found adorned with a star-shaped red diamond ring, Harry fears a serial killer is on the loose. Determined to find the killer and expose the crooked Tom Waaler, Harry discovers the two investigations melding in unexpected ways. But pursuing the truth comes at a price, and soon Harry finds himself on the run and forced to make difficult decisions about a future he may not live to see.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:23 AM   #120
NightBird
Wizard

Free stories from Beat to a Pulp: Beat to a Pulp: Hardboiled. UK

Quote:
BEAT to a PULP: Hardboiled is a compilation of uncompromising, gritty tales following in the footsteps of the tough and violent fiction popularized by the legendary Black Mask magazine in its early days. This collection includes thirteen lean and mean stories from the fingertips of Garnett Elliott, Glenn Gray, John Hornor Jacobs, Patricia Abbott, Thomas Pluck, Brad Green, Ron Earl Phillips, Kent Gowran, Amy Grech, Benoit Lelievre, Kieran Shea, David Cranmer, and Wayne D. Dundee and a boiled down look at hardboiled fiction in an introduction by Ron Scheer. Edited by David Cranmer and Scott D. Parker.

Last edited by NightBird; 02-24-2013 at 04:50 AM.