Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 07-21-2012, 05:18 PM   #46
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I see no reason for hiding names. It's fun to see who voted for what and hiding them would make it seem like who voted for what is some secret suspicious thing.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 09:15 PM   #47
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I like seeing who votes for what. It's useful info. It helps me identify those with similar tastes to mine, so I know whose recommendations are likely to appeal to me. And if someone decides to vote in line with someone whose judgment he trusts, what's wrong with that?

Anyway, open is open. Two-thirds of the months have closed voting and it's not sporting to try to chip away even more from the minority preference once the deal has been struck.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I like seeing who votes for what. It's useful info. It helps me identify those with similar tastes to mine, so I know whose recommendations are likely to appeal to me. And if someone decides to vote in line with someone whose judgment he trusts, what's wrong with that?

Anyway, open is open. Two-thirds of the months have closed voting and it's not sporting to try to chip away even more from the minority preference once the deal has been struck.
In other words, you aren't voting for what you want based on what you want, you are voting based on what others vote for. This is why to remove the names. I for one do not want my name showing and if that means no names show, so be it.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:01 PM   #49
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In other words, you aren't voting for what you want based on what you want, you are voting based on what others vote for. This is why to remove the names.
I think you mean "In other words that misstate what you said." Perhaps another poster is a reliable bellweather for a voter, better than the squibs. Not for me, though; I know what I like. However, in a democratic vote, people can use whatever criteria they wish--even the color of a tie, say.

Quote:
I for one do not want my name showing and if that means no names show, so be it.
A trifle despotic, no? So much for the democratic process!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 09:47 AM   #50
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, so much for voting for what you want instead of voting the lemming way.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-22-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #51
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I really think we need multiple choice votes. I would have voted for five or six of the titles this month.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:22 PM   #52
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I really think we need multiple choice votes. I would have voted for five or six of the titles this month.
I feel very much as you do. With multiple choice voting, one could vote across a spectrum of preference in the first phase of voting and there's a reasonable chance that one of the books you like might win in the end.

Of course, in the run-off vote it would be sensible to vote for only one option.

A problem would be that it might well result in too many books making it to the final round with the eventual winner being a minority choice. The present system has the advantage of giving a decisive result and still allowing one to choose a second preference if a first choice doesn't make it through.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 07-22-2012 at 03:17 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 05:52 PM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Jon, I was hoping we could go all hidden or all visible for 2013, but I think you've just made the case for continuing the some months hidden/some months visible mix.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:14 PM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Jon, I was hoping we could go all hidden or all visible for 2013, but I think you've just made the case for continuing the some months hidden/some months visible mix.
All hidden would be the best way to do it (IMHO). But if we have to go hidden and open, how about staying open for romance and classic and hidden for the rest and remember, come 2013, we can dump one of the classic. I have an idea what to replace the second classic with... free-for-all.
Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM   #55
mdsnyderjr
mdsnyderjr began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
new

New here. Has an August book been selected? Looking forward to it. I've been in several book clubs, none lasted for more than a year. Excited to have found something online.

Melissa
mdsnyderjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:28 PM   #56
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdsnyderjr View Post
New here. Has an August book been selected? Looking forward to it. I've been in several book clubs, none lasted for more than a year. Excited to have found something online.

Melissa
Welcome Melissa! This book club has been going for three or four years now.

The August book hasn't been officially selected yet but we're close to that time. This thread we're in now is the "nominations" thread, which is now over, which is followed by a "first vote" thread, which is now also over, which is followed by a "run off" thread between the top two vote-getters, which is where we're at now.

You can view (and vote in) the run-off thread here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186132

Later next month, on the 20th, a discussion thread will begin for the winner of this month, and also a new nominations thread will start for next month and begin the process over again.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 11:41 AM   #57
CindySerrano
CindySerrano
CindySerrano began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I would like to nominate The Plaza by Guillermo Paxton. When I read his portrayal of drug war-torn Juarez, Mexico, I was deeply moved, especially because it is based on actual events in Juarez.
CindySerrano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 07:31 PM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySerrano View Post
I would like to nominate The Plaza by Guillermo Paxton. When I read his portrayal of drug war-torn Juarez, Mexico, I was deeply moved, especially because it is based on actual events in Juarez.
The nominations are closed for this month's selection, but that does sound like it would have been a good one.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 02:58 PM   #59
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
"The magician's underwear has just been found in a cardboard suitcase floating in a stagnant pond on the outskirts of Miami." ~Tom Robbins, Another Roadside Attraction

I ask you, how could this not be this month's selection?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote