Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Mobile Sites

Notices

Old 02-22-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Announcing RSS-to-Memo

I've been playing around with lots of RSS, RDF, and Atom code lately in a stealth project (major annoucement soon, Alexander has already seen some of the project), and in testing, I came up with some interesting bits of Perl that I think others will find useful.

So in that vein, attached is a small perl script that will take a feed (specified by you) and convert it to a MemoDB record that you can read in MemoPad on your Palm device.

It works like this:
Code:
./rss-to-memo --name Plucker --feed http://www.plkr.org/rss.pl
It will either append or create anew, MemoDB.pdb, with the feed of your choice as a record in MemoPad.

It requires a few non-core Perl modules, so you'll have to install those. To do that, just use the following syntax:
Code:
perl -MCPAN -e 'install "Getopt::Long"'
The Palm-specific modules (Palm::PDB and Palm::Memo) can be found at the Coldsync homepage. I cooked this up quick, but I could also use the Perl bindings in pilot-link, but I decided not to, because it requires a bit more work to get the pilot-link Perl bindings installed on most systems.

Simple, and all in 33 lines of code!
Attached Files
File Type: txt rss-to-memo.pl.txt (3.0 KB, 465 views)

Last edited by hacker; 02-22-2005 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 06:00 AM   #2
melvynadam
Connoisseur
melvynadam began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone, iPad
Any chance of an installer for those of us that found the OP a tad confusing?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:12 AM   #3
hacker
Technology Mercenary
hacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with othershacker plays well with others

Device: Direct Neural Implant
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvynadam
Any chance of an installer for those of us that found the OP a tad confusing?
An installer for what? Its a Perl script... just run it. If it complains that modules are missing, install those modules and run it again.
Old 02-23-2005, 10:42 PM   #4
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Pretty nice. I might play with it a bit when I get the chance... Along with that mapquest script from a couple weeks ago when the workload lightens (with luck, this weekend!).

"Stealth project" involving RSS, and other feed types... I'm going to guess RSS support for Plucker (or something similar)? Of course I could and probably am wrong, but anything to do with hacker and RSS and Palm devices and Perl has to end very well for everyone. Indeed, that's a compliment to your high skills.