Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-10-2011, 01:26 AM   #1
leebel
leebel began at the beginning.

Device: Kogan
Remove duplicate titles

In getting various folders of books into Calibre, I have many duplicate titles (same and different formats). Is there any automatic way of removing genuine duplicates from the Calibre library? Manually, it is going to takes me ages to scan and remove the genuine duplicates and merge same titles in different formats.

leebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 02:10 AM   #2
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Have a look at preferences->adding books. There are various automerge options available that should help you.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
leebel

Thanks Manichean. Ha, I should have used "overwrite existing duplicate formats". Darn. A tad late now sad to say. I may be a good idea to have the default set to this. I suppose there is no 'retrospective' script that i can run now?

If not, I'll just have to carry on this time, but the option is setup for any future imports. I'm up to "L" titles. :|

I should set aside time to read though all the options.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:17 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebel View Post
I may be a good idea to have the default set to this.
Calibre will always default to any condition that preserves the existing library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebel View Post
I suppose there is no 'retrospective' script that i can run now?
You can re-add the books with that option turned on.

Regarding duplicates, hope is on the way. They are currently working on a duplicate finder plugin that once it's ironed out will be added to calibre as a feature.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-15-2011 at 01:19 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #5
marvin_2
marvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura aboutmarvin_2 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle
I believe duplicates will be removed when you copy books to a new library. Just create a new library with the switch/create menu on the library button, then select all book and right-click copy them all to the new library (with the appropriate setting for handling duplicates ...).

If there only a few duplicates, manual merging may be faster (Select the one with good title + cover, ctrl-select duplicate(s), then merge via right-mouse menu or shortcut-key "m".
marvin_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 05:53 AM   #6
Pinecone
Guru
Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pinecone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-650, PRS-600, PRS-350
Do be careful, there are different books with the same title.
Pinecone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:57 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinecone View Post
Do be careful, there are different books with the same title.
I think my highest count is 5 different books with the same title
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:40 PM   #8
leebel

I ended up spending about a day manually going through and removing the duplicates and integrating the different formats into a single entry. This taught me a few lessons.

The idea of re-adding the existing library with the remove duplicates is a neat. I obviously have to do more reading on what Calibre is capable of!

Thanks to dwanthny and Marvin_2...and to the considerations raised by Pinecone and theducks! You guys are fantastic!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think my highest count is 5 different books with the same title
I've had one of those obsessive/compulsive attachment to books called Masquerade. I have seven different hardcopy books by that title and I've managed to get four of those in ebook format ... plus six others that I only have ebook versions.

This has replaced my Ace Doubles collecting obsession. Takes up less space, too [G].
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:03 AM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary_M_Mugford View Post
I've had one of those obsessive/compulsive attachment to books called Masquerade. I have seven different hardcopy books by that title and I've managed to get four of those in ebook format ... plus six others that I only have ebook versions.

This has replaced my Ace Doubles collecting obsession. Takes up less space, too [G].
Not my fault

Blame the Author/Publishers for not choosing better titles
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 07:42 PM   #11
MmavisO
Seeker
MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MmavisO ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Asus TF, PB 360, Jetbook Lite
Try this new plugin posted today by kiwidude.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131017
MmavisO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:16 AM   #12
leebel

Duplicates

Quote:
Originally Posted by MmavisO View Post
Try this new plugin posted today by kiwidude.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131017
That add-in is FABULOUS!

Thanks!
Old 04-29-2011, 10:10 AM   #13
penguinaka
Quack! Quack!
penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.penguinaka can eat soup with a fork.

Device: kindle 3 & sony daily prs950sc
question about that duplicates merge... i have the same issue with a library that over 18k. I imported the books so that it also grabbed the series and number as well if it has it.

what does it do with a duplicate in such that one is with the series info and the other is without or both have a different series name?
penguinaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Are you talking about the merge option built into Calibre or the plugin?
As for the merge option, that generally depends on which option you select and which book you select first. No metadata from the first selected book will ever be overwritten, it will only get empty fields filled by the other selected books, if those have entries in those fields.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duplicate, titles