Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 04-20-2011, 12:31 PM   #16
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0zza View Post
The apple devices are made up of components mostly sourced from Samsung... The next iThingy will be will be an empty plastic case.
Samsung probably make far more money selling components to Apple than they do selling their own tablets.
Successful companies don't take this sort of thing personally, it is just part of the cost of doing business.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #17
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: HTC 10, Asus Phonepad
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakim View Post
Apple must be quite scared of the new Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1...
That's pretty much my thinking, too. The original Tab and Galaxy S came out last year without even a boo out of Apple. So, why now? Apparently, while their sales of iPhone are up from last year, their market share isn't growing as fast, and they didn't sell as many iPads as analysts had predicted. That new Galaxy Tab looks pretty slick. With this lawsuit coming just a few days before their earnings report, it's not hard to see what they're thinking.

Plus, there are rumors of Amazon's own tablet (made by Samsung) coming out this year.

However, no one is going to confuse a Samsung Galaxy product for an Apple iProduct. The distinction between open Android and closed iOS is readily apparent, and I think people are choosing based on that, or at least based on recommendations from their friends who are using that criteria. Apple is losing sales because of Android as a whole, not because of any similarities to Samsung.
SlowRain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #18
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Why do people confuse losing sales to having a smaller percentage of the market because the market has GROWN... Just seen last quarter financials for Apple... all their lost sales must seriously worry them as the year on year quarterly comparison shows most recent has doubled from previously year...

Most companies would kill to double turnover from previous year especially in current economic marketplace...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
Apple is losing sales because of Android as a whole, not because of any similarities to Samsung.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 12:40 PM   #19
SlowRain
Addict
SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.SlowRain knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Oh, I think you know what I meant.

Jobsy has a pretty big ego on him. He doesn't think the way you do. He knows what his market share was at the beginning of last year and what it is at the beginning of this year. For him, it's just simple extrapolation.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Actually, I don't, I read what you posted and commented on it accordingly... and I doubt, after all this time, that Jobs doesn't know the difference and is unlikely to make incorrect extrapolations... still what do I know as a non-owner of Samsung or iPad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRain View Post
Oh, I think you know what I meant.

Jobsy has a pretty big ego on him. He doesn't think the way you do. He knows what his market share was at the beginning of last year and what it is at the beginning of this year. For him, it's just simple extrapolation.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 10:34 PM   #21
SlowRain
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
... and I doubt, after all this time, that Jobs doesn't know the difference and is unlikely to make incorrect extrapolations...
You should listen to some of his comments sometime, especially during earnings calls. Then you'd see how his mind works.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:12 PM   #22
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Samsung files suits vs Apple in Korea, Japan, Germany

Quote:
The South Korean firm said in a statement the suit involved infringements of up to five patents but did not elaborate on the technologies involved.

"Samsung is responding actively to the legal action taken against us in order to protect our intellectual property and to ensure our continued innovation and growth in the mobile communications business," the statement said.
Neverending.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #23
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Don't panic y'all. This is just IT companies' version of intramural bowling. I'm sure they all get together at the end of the day and have a nice cold beer .
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 11:34 PM   #24
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
And now for what a professional analyst has to say:

Quote:
The case is remarkable for several reasons, not least because Samsung is one of Apple’s critical component suppliers: the Korean giant manufactures everything from DRAM and SSDs for MacBook Pros to the A4 and A5 processors in the iPhone, iPod touch, Apple TV, and iPad.
Quote:
It’s also clear Apple has particular scorn for TouchWiz’d Galaxy S devices, saying “The copying is so pervasive, that [they] appear to be actual Apple products.”
Quote:
Taken as a group, it feels like a remarkably solid case — Samsung can’t just up and countersue Apple with its own patents and hope to walk away with a handshake and a cross-license because of the various trademark, trade dress, and design patent claims. How the company decides to deal with those issues remains to be seen; there’s no question in my mind that Samsung designed TouchWiz to look and feel as much like iOS as possible, and then marketed it as such. (More than one of my friends has come back from a Verizon store with a Fascinate having been told that it’s “basically the same as an iPhone.”)
http://thisismynext.com/2011/04/19/a...sung-analysis/
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 AM   #25
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
(More than one of my friends has come back from a Verizon store with a Fascinate having been told that it’s “basically the same as an iPhone.”)
The problem with that statement is that EVERYTHING that has apps, that has a touch-screen etc, will "feel like an iPhone" to the average user.

When I was working in retail I had someone come into the store and ask for an iPod, we didn't carry them, we carried the Creative Zen, but I said we have other MP3 players that do just as much, and MORE. They responded "what's an MP3 player?" This happened on more than one occasion. So I showed them the MP3 player, what it did, and it cost less than 50% of the iPod, they still said...I'm not sure my music will play on that, I think I need an iPod.

The average Joe People just don't get it.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 01:04 AM   #26
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
The problem with that statement is that EVERYTHING that has apps, that has a touch-screen etc, will "feel like an iPhone" to the average user.
Yes, but not everything will legally represent a patent violation before a judge.

This one just might.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:26 AM   #27
DMB
Old Git
DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Two kindle PWs wifi, kindle fire, iPad3 wifi
Does anyone remember the days when Apple marketed themselves as the heroic little guy battling the big bully IBM?
DMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 05:42 AM   #28
AGB
Headbutting stupidity
AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AGB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMB View Post
Does anyone remember the days when Apple marketed themselves as the heroic little guy battling the big bully IBM?
Yes, and some people act like that is still the case. The mind boggles.
AGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 07:31 PM   #29
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
If this means that that goddamned TouchWiz UI will disappear and they'll have to do something better, then I will rejoice. I was baffled to see my iPod touch 1g running faster and looking exactly the same than my Galaxy S... thankfully I discovered other launchers, and the whole lot of goodies which made my phone a really cool one. It's not Samsung who's made me keep the phone, I tell you.

BTW, I have a prediction about who'll win the case... the lawyers.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:50 AM   #30
scubayak
scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scubayak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Nook Color
This is the way Apple does business. They claim they invented everything (rounded corners already?). Many years ago they sued someone (probably Microsoft) over the use of a mouse; of course, they themselves stole that idea from Bell Labs. Never have and never will buy an Apple product.
scubayak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apple, galaxy s2, galaxy tab 10.1, lawsuit, samsung