Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-17-2013, 02:19 PM   #166
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
This was starting to sound like a great gift for my "sister-in-law" but the tech nerd in me can't get passed the 5 book limit and Facebook thing. the proprietary rendering and Bluetooth I can live with since I'll be the one probably loading it all the time, but I can only bend so far
It's $70. For that much, just get her a basic Kindle or Nook. You can get a used on cheaper than $70 any day of the week on eBay / Craiglist in the US.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:55 AM   #167
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
It's $70. For that much, just get her a basic Kindle or Nook. You can get a used on cheaper than $70 any day of the week on eBay / Craiglist in the US.
It only sounded good as a gift for her cause it was $13....i don't like her $70 worth
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #168
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabby98 View Post
It only sounded good as a gift for her cause it was $13....i don't like her $70 worth
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:03 AM   #169
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
Meh, just get a Kobo Mini for 40 bucks instead. If 20 bucks makes that much of a difference for anyone looking for an ereader they probably have other things to worry about than buying a cheap ereader.
rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:29 AM   #170
glezmen
glezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I started implementing an application for sending any PDF to the txtr Beagle (and deleting books, etc)
Anyone interested?
glezmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2013, 09:20 AM   #171
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
No, but if you know the protocol, maybe you can shed some light on what it's actually sending to the reader. Raw bitmaps (i.e. is the device really as stupid as they make it out to be)? Or something more advanced like JPEG/PNG/PDF/...?
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #172
glezmen
glezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankindglezmen has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
No, but if you know the protocol, maybe you can shed some light on what it's actually sending to the reader. Raw bitmaps (i.e. is the device really as stupid as they make it out to be)? Or something more advanced like JPEG/PNG/PDF/...?
yes, they are raw 4 bit bitmaps (sent in gzipped form), and the device IS that stupid
nevertheless it works, it will be good as a recipe book for my girlfriend

you can find more details about the format here
Old 08-02-2013, 01:02 PM   #173
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's cool. Card slot is a huge surprise. I'm still glad I didn't get one of these though, even when they were offered for "cheap" (30€ or what was it at the end? with Kobo Mini and other readers offered at the same time at that price point). They're sold out now, and I'd be surprised if they offered another batch of these things...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 02:15 PM   #174
CommonReader
Fanatic
CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CommonReader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, PRS-650, Vaio Tap 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
That's cool. Card slot is a huge surprise. I'm still glad I didn't get one of these though, even when they were offered for "cheap" (30€ or what was it at the end? with Kobo Mini and other readers offered at the same time at that price point). They're sold out now, and I'd be surprised if they offered another batch of these things...
20€ last that I know.
CommonReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:58 PM   #175
glezmen

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommonReader View Post
20€ last that I know.
yes, i paid 20 EUR for it, including delivery with DHL
the other small, "real" e-book readers (like Kobo mini, Pyrus mini) were twices as much (if you were able to go to certain shops, I've seen the Pyrus for something like 45 EUR in Kaufland).
For 20 EUR it's cool if you can use for for some specialized task, for everyday reading i wouldn't recommend it
Old 01-30-2015, 02:36 AM   #176
wovvbager
old guy, but still a geek
wovvbager began at the beginning.

Device: txtr beagle
Quote:
Originally Posted by glezmen View Post
I started implementing an application for sending any PDF to the txtr Beagle (and deleting books, etc)
Anyone interested?
did you geht this application finished? I'm looking for a solution to send ebooks to the txtr without the txtr cloud.

thanks
Frank
wovvbager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:45 AM   #177
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I remember a few yrs back people were debating if a company like Amazon might one day offer ereaders for free to those who want one with the idea that they might spend $ buying books from Amazon so that while they wouldn't make $ on the reader itself they would make the funds back on the books sold. I could see that happening one day. eventually the tech. will become so common place that the cost will drop down even further than it already has. DVD players did the same thing. You can get one now for about $24.00 or so and they were reasonably expensive when they first came out.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 09:06 AM   #178
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
I remember a few yrs back people were debating if a company like Amazon might one day offer ereaders for free to those who want one with the idea that they might spend $ buying books from Amazon so that while they wouldn't make $ on the reader itself they would make the funds back on the books sold. I could see that happening one day. eventually the tech. will become so common place that the cost will drop down even further than it already has. DVD players did the same thing. You can get one now for about $24.00 or so and they were reasonably expensive when they first came out.
Well, when you look at it in context, they already are giving away free readers: the Kindle (and Kobo and whatever) reading apps. For people with tablets and smartphones the apps give them an ereader for free. Especially for casual readers who can't justify even a $13 ereader.

(And in Amazon's case, the apps enjoy more or less feature parity with the dedicated hardware and even a few advantages.)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:08 PM   #179
Capricorn
Connoisseur
Capricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enoughCapricorn will become famous soon enough

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD
Txtr is insolvent

Txtr declared insolvency last week at a Berlin court in Germany.
Capricorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2015, 02:32 PM   #180
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
A $13 Reader is a being sold for parts because it's broken.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote