Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-07-2008, 09:38 PM   #16
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:41 PM   #17
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
RickyMaveety, just so you don't feel too alone, I want you to know that I really don't much give a rat's patootie who tracks you, your buying habits, or anything else about you.

See, you are not really in a minority all that small!

Now, see ... that attitude makes you my kind of people. Personally, I have a sneaking suspicion that most of the planet doesn't give a rat's patootie about me.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2008, 09:44 PM   #18
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Just as long as you are monitored 24X7.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 09:47 PM   #19
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
That goes without saying.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:43 AM   #20
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
Hmm .. why would you ever leave your house without your reader? I mean - it is your smartphone, it holds your contacts, it reads your newspaper, listens to your music and it can brew&drink coffee! (Now, this again make me very glad, because I dont like coffee. And if I cant stop this device from brewing coffee, it can at least drink the stuff itself, relieving me from that straining coffee-drinking the previous generation of those devices throw onto you).

What I meant - networks will be ever present. You will - in all likelyhood - have a single device that plays (and stores) your music, has access to your emails, social networking, calender, etc - and it will have access to your newspaper. What would you want a paper version for? You wont leave house without this device - and either it will have a folding display, or a method of sharing content with a reader...
Perhaps not in ten years, but it will come. *sings Ready or not, here I come*
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-08-2008, 05:57 PM   #21
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
"There will be no newspapers, no magazines that are delivered in paper form. Everything gets delivered in an electronic form."
Does no one else think Ballmer's on drugs - again? Digitally-delivered words may be much more common in 10 years but this is like predicting we'll have flying cars in a few more years. It's just not practical for everyone to have a digital device to read content with. If I'm at the grocery store and want to buy a magazine and don't have my latest Sony Reader (or whatever) with me, how am I going to buy it? Do you think they won't have any for sale? If I don't have a PC (plenty of real people don't have their own and won't 10 years from now), how do I buy a book? Do you think everyone will have Kindles (or the equivalent)? I doubt it. If I buy gasoline and want to run in and buy a copy of the newspaper, do you think they won't have one for sale? Of course they will.

And what about (dare I ask?) DRM and the protection of intellectual property and the multiplicity of hardware devices and digital formats? Does anyone think those problems will somehow evaporate allowing for the great proliferation of digital words?

I think there will be plenty of old-fashioned books, magazines, and newspapers 10 years from now (unless we're all under water by then or caught up in some other crisis).
VR: Remember the "trusted platform" that Intel/MS and others have advanced is a platform that they feel can be trusted to allow you to buy their content and not be able to share it with others. Where they can turn off offending content and processes that they do not want you to see or run. Is it any wonder that many governments outside the US do not use Windows for their computers? What military defense (military is always for defensive purposes isn't it?) computer manager would feel secure running a Windows based system if they were facing the US? Think of the amount of code and processing power Vista uses just to keep the systems from being able to copy HD content
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 06:14 PM   #22
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Well, I can see a future of "print on demand". You need a paper newspaper? You go to a kiosk, and insert your card and the kiosk prints a fresh copy for you. Want a paper book? Bookstores will most likely print it on demand for you.

I do feel that the price point for digital readers of the quality (or better) of the Kindle or the Sony Reader will come down to a point that most people will have them, much like most people have computers (or access to them).

And we have heard that the publishing business do not yet have the processes in place to have completely digitalized final copies of their books at the ready, but that is bound to change.

Paperless society in 10 years? No, probably never, but it is going to get much closer, very soon.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM   #23
b0rsuk
meles meles
b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.b0rsuk can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Selected predictions of Bill Gates:

Quote:
World Economic Forum, 2004: "Two years from now, spam will be solved."
Quote:
Foreword to the OS/2 Programmer's Guide, 1987: "I believe OS/2 is destined to be the most important operating system, and possibly program, of all time."
Quote:
Comdex, 2001: "So next year a lot of people in the audience, I hope, will be taking their notes with those Tablet PCs."
b0rsuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 10:57 AM   #24
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

right, and then what was it someone () said about not being able to imagine why anyone would ever need more than, what was it, 56 mega of RAM on their pc ?
Old 06-09-2008, 11:01 AM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
right, and then what was it someone () said about not being able to imagine why anyone would ever need more than, what was it, 56 mega of RAM on their pc ?
Whuuuuuunnnnnhhhhh???

56MB? Don't you mean 8KB?!?

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:02 AM   #26
tirsales
MIA ... but returning som
tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tirsales ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505 and *Really* not owning a PRS-700
It was more on the lines of 640KB - at least IIRC, because for quite some time this was the max MS Doc could handle.
tirsales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #27
zelda_pinwheel

good heavens, was it actually 8kb he said ?? makes it all the more piquant doesn't it... not that it really makes much of a material difference...

EDIT just saw tirsales post... that sounds right, i couldn't remember the exact quantity. but STILL though...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:03 AM   #28
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
640K... and supposedly Gates said that... but it is a myth... he never said it.

http://www.wired.com/politics/law/news/1997/01/1484

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2008, 11:09 AM   #29
zelda_pinwheel

well... be that as it may, i prefer to sing "lalala, no smoke without fire" about that particular rumor, because it amuses me so (and i really wouldn't put it past him to have actually said it, then denied it when it became painfully obvious how wrong it was).

oh, and : pfff, that's right, spoil all the fun being *accurate* and all that...
Old 06-09-2008, 11:13 AM   #30
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
oh, and : pfff, that's right, spoil all the fun being *accurate* and all that...
He... too bad there is no citation or video clip of it. Most of what Gates says in public is recorded... I'm sure if there was a record of this it would be all over the tubes.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote